Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 03:18 AM

137 posts, read 503,031 times

Advertisements

Collierville residents; which is better and why? I'm leaning towards the DAC because its so close to home.

Does the DAC offer the month to month memberships as the Y does? Also what is Kidz Klub at the DAC? Age ranges for it?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 10:48 PM

278 posts, read 992,965 times
YMCA is larger and has an overall better gym in my opinion. DAC doesn't have a swimming pool at the Powell Rd location while YMCA does have one. DAC will be cheaper.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:23 PM

738 posts, read 2,575,398 times
Lifetime fitness blows them both away, for child care and amenities, and there is no contract. It is more expensive, but you don't pay for classes or child care, so it may be worth a look.

I was a member at DAC and I love their Les Mills classes, but didn't use child care (do they even have it?)
DAC makes you sign a contract, no month to month, in fact you have to send a certified letter and give 60 days notice to terminate.

I would choose the YMCA over DAC if those were my only choices and I needed child care.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:45 AM

137 posts, read 503,031 times
Good information, thanks all.

I was thinking of the lifetime fitness but I think its pretty pricey. I suspect for myself,wife, and daughter all together will be over $100??????

Old 10-06-2010, 07:27 AM

That is correct, but free child care and all classes are free. At the YMCA, if you take even one class consistently (that you have to pay for), LTF ends up cheaper. But if you don't take classes or use child care, yes, it's pricey.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:15 PM

278 posts, read 992,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapsk8 View Post
Good information, thanks all.

I was thinking of the lifetime fitness but I think its pretty pricey. I suspect for myself,wife, and daughter all together will be over $100??????
It can be pricey. I was a member at Lifetime, but I left when my wife wanted to join and it would have been $99 for two people. You can get memberships for your entire family at other gyms for $50-60.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:40 PM

1 posts, read 12,129 times
I am a member at DAC and can tell you that they do offer month to month memberships as well as child care (if needed). The classes are included in the membership and I recommend trying them - they are fantastic! I have only been a member for a few months now, yet every one on staff knows my name and treats me like an individual person - not just another 'meal ticket'. But it all depends on what you are looking for whether it be classes, weights, cardio machines, pool, racquetball, etc.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:17 PM

Good to hear they changed the rules about contracts at DAC, had to be more competitive I guess. I was a member there for a year, and I agree, the classes are fantastic. I just enjoy all the options of Lifetime, like Pool, steam, sauna, etc..

Old 11-19-2010, 03:53 PM

2 posts, read 24,228 times
I would say above all else make your own opinion. I do not know about the ymca collierville but every other y I have been to does not impress me. The Dac has a very nice, clean facility. The staff is great and it is amazing how everyone acknowledges you and is very personable. They do have a nursery that i have used many times and is free with a family membership. I looked them up on the better business bureau and they have an A rating. That says a lot to me. I know they offer a 14 day trial membership to come in and make sure they are the place for you and your family. They do offer month 2 month memberships. I started that way and then converted over after i knew i loved it.

Old 11-19-2010, 03:56 PM

2 posts, read 24,228 times
I think the collierville mom has her clubs mixed up. When i cancelled at Dac because of the economy i had to give a 30 day notice (which was explained to me at the start) and at lifetime its a 60 day cancellation. I rejoined Dac about 3 months ago and got 14 days of unlimited training through a program they have called Training U. Loved it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis