Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 01:59 PM

4 posts, read 6,218 times

Advertisements

Dear Readers,

My name is Everette Oliver Bryant. I am 23 years old. I have moved to the city of Millington from Jacksonville, North Carolina. I have applied, been accepted, and registered for classes at the University of Memphis. When I was accepted I received a letter stating that I would be classified as an out-of-state student. I have taken step-by-step actions that have let me to being here. I am a veteran of O.I.F. and I am trying to go to school, and I am having a very difficult time. I would like to thank you now for your time and tentativeness to my story.

When I spoke to an academic councilor at the University of Memphis about my out-of-state tuition decision, I was shocked to hear what I was told. I asked where does it state in writing that I have to live in the state of Tennessee for one year, as a non-student, before my ‘domicile’ would be considered in Tennessee. I was told that it is not stated in writing anywhere. And that is why I have decided to appeal their decision.

I have no living relatives in the United States, other than my Mother. I was moved to the United States from Ontario, Canada by my mother when I was one year old. My mother is the only family member that I am aware of. My fathers information is unknown and it states this on my birth certificate, which I possesses a copy of here with me. Right off “THE GUIDELINES FOR THE CLASSIFICATION OF STUDENTS FOR FEE PAYING PURPOSES” that is published the University of Memphis ‘Domicile is defined as, “ ‘Domicile’ shall mean a person’s true, fixed and permanent home and place of habituation; it is the place where he or she intends to remain, and to which he or she expects to return when he or she leaves without intending to establish a new domicile elsewhere.” After all that I have put into this move my ‘domicile’ as it is defined but the University of Memphis could be no where else but the state of Tennessee.

Please hear my story:

My mother married an Army Special Forces soldier who brought her from Oklahoma to North Carolina. My mother later separated from him and remained in North Carolina with me. I moved out from my mothers house at the age of 16 and have sustained myself independently since. I remained in my current school and continued until I graduated High School. It is then that I enlisted into the United States Marine Corps.

While in the Marines I served 12 months in Guantanamo Bay Cuba, and 13 months in-between Kuwait and Iraq. Before going to Kuwait and Iraq I was stationed in North Carolina, and upon my return I was still stationed in North Carolina. I found it easier to maintain residency in NC since it was my home of record before the Military. I was discharged June 6, 2008 honorably as a Corporal, which I have since been promoted to Sergeant in the inactive reserves. While serving in Iraq I applied and received my United States citizenship. I decided not to sign another contract with the Marine Corps, because I wanted to go to school and build a life outside of the military.

I remained in Jacksonville, North Carolina finish my semester of school I started while in the Marines, and to remain near my brothers that I had served in Iraq with. While in the military you develop bonds with people while you are deployed that can not be understood by anyone other then someone who has been there. As my friends got out of the military behind me I spoke with a few from Memphis and Millington. I was told about the area and I liked what I was told. They soon got out of the military and moved back home; home being Memphis and Millington.

When my brothers moved away I had just started my spring semester. They told me to look into the University of Memphis, and I did. I found out Tennessee is the only state in the United States that does not have a required length of time to live before you can become a resident. This was found at (Proof of Tennessee Residency). When I researched the requirements for the University of Memphis at (Admissions :: Residency Requirements :: University of Memphis). In Paragraph three in the first statement it states very simply put, “EVERY person having his or her domicile in this state shall be classified ‘in-state’ for fee and tuition purposes and for admission purposes.” I referenced the definition of ‘domicile’ at the top of the page and there it states, “ ‘Domicile’ shall mean a person’s true, fixed and permanent home and place of habituation; it is the place where he or she intends to remain, and to which he or she expects to return when he or she leaves without intending to establish a new domicile elsewhere.”

This move fit me perfectly. I wanted to get out of the state of North Carolina. To be straight forward I disliked North Carolina very much. The only thing I had in North Carolina was my mother, I love her and she is my mother but I want some thing else. I wanted to get away from the military that dominates North Carolina. North Carolina has six military bases to include Fort Bragg, and Camp Lejeune. Fort Bragg is the largest Army base in the world (Fort Bragg) and Camp Lejeune holds 47,000 Marines and Sailors. To be honest I want to live in a state where I can meet a good woman and settle down. That is a reason that helped me decide in relocating to Tennessee.

When I made my decision to leave, I dropped all my classes and moved to Tennessee. It was a decision that I have committed to. I was finally doing what I got out of the Marines to do, and that’s to live a life outside of the military. I spent $1,200 to move my stuff. I drove 13 hours in my car ahead of my stuff. I work out a lease with a friend and split the first month, last month, regular deposit, and pet deposit; that cost me an additional $1,000+ dollars. I re-insured my vehicle in TN, that was a $900 payment for 6 months (I pay my insurance lump sum, not monthly). I registered my vehicle in TN for $110. I got my drivers license in TN, $28. I applied to the University of Memphis and paid the application fee. I waited to file my federal taxes till I get in Tennessee. I got registered to vote in Shelby county. All of this money has come out of my own pocket from money that I have saved. I have made a very large financial commitment to moving to Tennessee and staying in Tennessee.

Readers, I want to go to the University of Memphis. I moved here knowing that all my cards were being played right. I have spent nearly all my savings trying to get into school here so I can start collecting on my Montgomery GI Bill and financially breath. Hidden somewhere in the archives of the University of Memphis is a clause saying that I have to live in Tennessee without being a student for one year, before I can be classified as an in-state student. This is not fair to ANYONE who has put the effort into moving into this state and city that I have. There is nothing any where in writing that I have seen stating this, and I did my home work! This is not even stated on the, “Application for Residency Classification” that I filled out before requesting this appeal. Readers, I am a veteran who is looking for a state to spend my life in.

Since moving here in January I have met a woman, a woman who is very tied down to Memphis. She has two children, parents, and grand parents who reside between Memphis and Jackson Tennessee. I have made career plans for after I graduate the University of Memphis. I want to work at St. Jude’s Hospital. I will complete my internship at St. Francis Hospital and apply until I get accepted at St. Jude’s Hospital. I am not only financially committed to living in Tennessee, but I am emotionally committed.

I can not afford four years of school at the University of Memphis at the price of nearly $10,000 dollars per 12 credit hour semester. I nearly did not stay to appeal the out-of-state tuition but I have remained here to fight, because of what I have to lose if I go back to NC for education. Based on the decision of this board, I am positioned to have to sell my motorcycle, living room set, and bed room set. To move back to North Carolina. If I am denied for in-state tuition I will have to move back to North Carolina so that I can receive affordable education. My education has been delayed long enough and I need to get back on track. I can not wait until late January for you to consider me a resident, and then not be able to start school until Summer of 2010. I do not want to leave this state, but I feel that I am cornered into doing so.

Readers please see my sincerity. See that I have committed to this state and this University so heavily that is has nearly broken me. If there is anyone of there of stature who is willing to meet me, and possible give me any sort of letter of recommendation to boost my standing, my appreciation could not be expressed enough. Please see that I could not have foreseen what has occurred, and that this is not fair to myself or any student in my shoes who has fought to be where I am writing this letter to you.

Sincerely,

Everette O. Bryant

PS To contact me outside of this threat write me at Everette.Bryant@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 02:20 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,374,704 times
I didn't read your entire story. I don't know the specifics about UM, as when I took classes there I had already been a resident of Memphis for many years. However, my knowledge of many other universities is that you have to live in the state for a certain period of time before you are considered a resident for tuition purposes. Residency requirements for tuition purposes in schools is going to differ from residency classification just based on "what state are you a resident of" for taxes and things like that.

Where I went to college, years ago albeit, the residency requirement was 2 years as a non-student. Meaning that you have to move there, live there 2 years without being in school, then you could be considered in-state. (IE - juniors in college would not be in-state just because they've "lived there" for 2 years.)

I do not know about UM, but think of it this way - the way you are saying it, every single student would be classified as in-state, because all you have to do is move here and voila, you are an in-state tuition resident. Why would they have out-of-state tuition then? Who would that apply to?

Old 04-28-2009, 02:43 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,313,568 times
To the OP --

You are absolutely correct that the Tennessee Board of Regents (the body that oversees the U of Memphis) has never adequately defined the period of time one must live in TN to be considered an in-state student. The policy--which is available on TBR's website--simply states that one must be a resident of TN without specifying a period of time.

Generally speaking, the U of M is quite liberal in its interpretation. When I was accepted to grad school at the U of M in 2005, I was moving back to TN from another state where I had resided for several years. With my application materials, I submitted a letter stating my intent to remain in TN following graduation. I was fortunate to receive a research assistantship that covered my tuition, so residency was not an issue. However, I later noticed that all of my registration/enrollment papers showed me being classified as 'in-state'.

I suggest that you send the U of M a nice letter (not a tirade), explaining that you intend to remain in TN as a full-time resident throughout your enrollment term and following graduation. The worst-case scenario is that the U of M will again deny you in-state status for the upcoming year, but by going ahead and writing your intentions now, you will have a strong case for subsequent years. By the Fall of 2010, you will have been a full-time TN resident for a year.

Best wishes, and I'm terribly sorry that the Board of Regents is so wishy-washy on this issue.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
Why would they have out-of-state tuition then? Who would that apply to?
For students who are still dependents of their parents and both of their parents reside outside of the state of Tennessee.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:02 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,374,704 times
I think your best bet is to do as strumpeace has said. If there are not clear-cut, written guidelines, all you can do is ask and hope you catch them on a good day.

Seems like a ridiculous issue, as this would come into questions with thousands of students every year. Why it is not clearly stated in rules and regs is beyond me.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:49 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,130,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
Who would that apply to?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebdevildog85 View Post
For students who are still dependents of their parents and both of their parents reside outside of the state of Tennessee.
You are 23 and your mother still lives in NC? FAFSA considers students dependents until they are 24. The fed gov't would consider your permanent adress the same as your mothers, for financial aid purposes, until you reach the age of 24, perhaps UM is using that guideline also?

Old 04-28-2009, 05:02 PM

128 posts, read 462,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
You are 23 and your mother still lives in NC? FAFSA considers students dependents until they are 24. The fed gov't would consider your permanent adress the same as your mothers, for financial aid purposes, until you reach the age of 24, perhaps UM is using that guideline also?
I haven't filled a FAFSA in a long time, but I think you have the option of filing independently as long as your mother is not listing you as a dependent on her taxes.

I agree with what the other said -- write a nice (calm tone) letter stating your intentions. Then follow it up with a phone call. If there is one person at the university that you can talk to, even better.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:58 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,130,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsgillmd View Post
I haven't filled a FAFSA in a long time, but I think you have the option of filing independently as long as your mother is not listing you as a dependent on her taxes.
If only it were that easy. I've been filling out FAFSA paperwork for my kids for the last 6 yrs. Got a few more years left to do it, but sure would love to be able to get out of it. The youngest hasn't lived at home for the last two years and as far as I'm concerned he's independent, but since he's a student the gov't wont agree.
FAFSA guidelines for qualifying as an independent student are pretty strict:

Question 48: Were you born before January 1, 1986 is another way of asking, are you 24 or older? Students 24 and older are automatically independent students.
Question 49: Are you married? Married students are automatically independent students.
Question 50: Students pursuing an advanced degree are automatically independent students.
Question 51-52: Active duty military and veteran students are automatically independent students. Reservists who have never served on active duty are not.
Question 53
: Students who are parents and whose children get half of their support or more from them are automatically independent students
Question 54
: Students who have someone else living with them (elderly grandparent, for example) and receive more than half their support are automatically independent students.
Question 55: If you were a foster child or ward of the court after the age of 13, you are automatically an independent student.
Question 56
: If you are a legally emancipated minor with documentation of the court judgement, you are automatically an independent student.
Question 57
: If you are in legal guardianship as determined by a court, you are automatically an independent student.
Questions 58-60
deal with homelessness, which is new to the FAFSA. ...

But hey, maybe our OP can use the bit in questions 51 and 52 to help establish his case as an independent student/TN resident.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:39 PM

I'm not sure how to quote multip posters at the same time. DubbleT: The quote about being a veteran is true. I was an independent student in NC, the same seems to apply here. They have said nothing about me being a dependent student. I appreciate everyone's unput. Anything that anyone says may cover a avenue of approact that I may have missed in this. My appeal will be between June 1st and the 8th. Thank you everyone for your continued input on anything you know.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,291 times
ebdevildog85: I am a veteran attending the U of M experiencing the same issues. Many of the retorts from outside sources have been aimed at the idea that the V.A. covers all of the out-of-state expenses in regard to the Yellow Ribbon Program. While this may, at first, be a logical argument, this argument does not take into affect the thousands of dollars that the V.A. and, in turn, the government is pouring into the educational institutions completely unnecessarily. Out-of-state tuition is designed for students who graduate high school and choose to move away from Mom and Dad to either waist away a good chance at bettering themselves or actually bettering themselves. It is with my utmost sincerity that I suggest you write to your local congressman, as you are a resident of Tennessee, and inform him of your dispositions with the University. The more of us there are to stand up and say something, the more likely it is that something will be done to positively effect the situation. Steve Cohen is a great start and possibly forwarding that letter of concern to the Governor with a cover letter expressing your intent would be another. It is simply outrageous that undocumented college students are considered for in-state tuition over the veterans who have voluntarily served their country in arms and harms way!
Semper Fidelis,
Sgt Boatz

Have you managed to obtain in-state tuition since?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis