Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 10:54 AM

1 posts, read 4,253 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Memphis in October to work at St. Jude. I am a 24 year old female and young professional. I like to go out to bars/clubs on weekends and occasional happy hour on weekdays. I should also mention I'm moving alone and am single. I'd say I'm moderately "preppy" although I'm open to different experiences. If possible, I'd like to live somewhere in the 650-875 price range (depending on utilities included). Is that a reasonable range? I could expand it if those are the only nice places. I'm just trying to save up as well.

Where in Memphis will be best for me to live and also be able to commute to St. Jude in less than 45 minutes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 12:40 PM

1,574 posts, read 1,019,016 times
Midtown.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:34 PM

49 posts, read 154,664 times
Move where my young single male friend who is a graphic designer for Saint Jude Children's Research Hospital lives. He lives near the Autozone Park and, as I said, he is young and single.

Oh yeah. I just went there, everyone. I did.

All wishing my nice young pal a wife aside, Midtown would be your best bet by far. You have a good 'bang for your buck factor' in that you can find a lovely apartment without breaking your budget and it is also near most everything, your job included.

Have a nice Holiday.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:24 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,375,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulubrown View Post
Move where my young single male friend who is a graphic designer for Saint Jude Children's Research Hospital lives. He lives near the Autozone Park and, as I said, he is young and single.

Oh yeah. I just went there, everyone. I did.

Have a nice Holiday.
El Bizzaro.

Try to find a loft apt in the south main district. If you land in midtown, watchout! The neighborhoods get scetchy real fast!

Old 09-02-2011, 06:56 PM

49 posts, read 154,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (901) View Post
El Bizzaro.

Try to find a loft apt in the south main district. If you land in midtown, watchout! The neighborhoods get scetchy real fast!

I was partially and obviously joshing around.

I actually do have a male friend who works for that hospital as a graphic designer and lives by the ball park and all, though. He is a very nice gentleman.

He lives at Fielder Square and a studio would be in OP's budget. I also hope that my joshing about did not scare OP off.

Here is Fielder Square's web site from 'for rent dot com'

Fielder Square Apartments For Rent in Memphis, Tennessee - Apartment Rental and Community Details - ForRent.com

The budget OP has stated might not make a loft reasonable...

Quote:
If possible, I'd like to live somewhere in the 650-875 price range (depending on utilities included).

Old 09-03-2011, 10:16 AM

369 posts, read 1,232,758 times
Kirby Station in East Memphis is very nice and has some very affordable rates.

Old 09-03-2011, 05:11 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,958,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus10 View Post
Kirby Station in East Memphis is very nice and has some very affordable rates.
Yeah, Kirby Station is nice and affordable. That is a safe area.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:55 AM

3 posts, read 6,590 times
Maybe Kimbrough Towers. Its in midtown and only about 5 mins from downtown. There are bars all over midtown. My friend lives there and pays $715 for a 2BR/1BA

Memphis Tennessee Apartments - Home - Kimbrough Towers

Old 09-05-2011, 09:10 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,375,487 times
I would seek a nice guest house in midtown

Old 09-06-2011, 01:51 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,377,196 times
Harbortown was my first thought (on 'the island'). Very preppy, safe, and you could practically walk to St. Jude. Otherwise, anywhere downtown would be good. And there are a lot of options in midtown but you have to be much more careful about picking the right street there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis