Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2010, 10:29 AM

13 posts, read 43,433 times

Advertisements

Is anyone familiar with this program and how selective they are?

My husband has an interview with them, and it's going to be costly for him to get there. He also has an interview in New Orleans and I'm not sure which we should do (we may not be able to afford both). I'm more interested in living in Memphis since it's less expensive and I've been there and thought it was a nice city. But, I think he should go where he has a better chance of getting hired.

Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 10:39 AM

369 posts, read 1,232,758 times
Does this have to do with the Gates Foundation? That's what I got from the website.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:12 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,375,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogs_in_Denver View Post
Is anyone familiar with this program and how selective they are?

My husband has an interview with them, and it's going to be costly for him to get there. He also has an interview in New Orleans and I'm not sure which we should do (we may not be able to afford both). I'm more interested in living in Memphis since it's less expensive and I've been there and thought it was a nice city. But, I think he should go where he has a better chance of getting hired.

Any advice?
Neither company is offering to pickup the airfare/hotel charges?

Old 02-17-2010, 06:55 PM

340 posts, read 1,314,630 times
If the interviews are close together in date, he could rent a car and drive to New Orleans from Memphis (or the other way depending on the dates). It's only about a 5 to 6 hour drive.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:02 PM

438 posts, read 946,976 times
Some of this depends on your husband's goals. Is he willing to work in low performing schools? I have been to some interviews through this program but I avoided applying for jobs with troubled schools or schools that I had heard unpleasant things about...didn't want to be one of those who writes "I quit" on the board and walks out.

But the teacher turnover rate is higher in poorer districts and I'm sure that if he is a competent individual who was willing to deal with the issues stemming from such schools, he might have success with that. They really do need certified, dependable teachers. Especially in high need areas such as math. If he is in a high need area, he has a better shot at getting a job.

There is a process to go through...first off the Memphis Teaching Fellos interview you to decide if you qualify to teach for the city at all (it is really easy to pass this interview). Then you go to these mass interviews where you are competing with everybody to get the attention of the principals you meet (bring a portfolio!). I didn't like that too well. At any rate, your hubby should be prepared for multiple interviews.

I didn't get any callbacks until September/October, after the school year had already started. Then I had at least 5 schools call me before I took my name off their calling list. I already had a job by then.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:04 PM

3 posts, read 7,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastelito de limon View Post
Some of this depends on your husband's goals. Is he willing to work in low performing schools? I have been to some interviews through this program but I avoided applying for jobs with troubled schools or schools that I had heard unpleasant things about...didn't want to be one of those who writes "I quit" on the board and walks out.

But the teacher turnover rate is higher in poorer districts and I'm sure that if he is a competent individual who was willing to deal with the issues stemming from such schools, he might have success with that. They really do need certified, dependable teachers. Especially in high need areas such as math. If he is in a high need area, he has a better shot at getting a job.

There is a process to go through...first off the Memphis Teaching Fellos interview you to decide if you qualify to teach for the city at all (it is really easy to pass this interview). Then you go to these mass interviews where you are competing with everybody to get the attention of the principals you meet (bring a portfolio!). I didn't like that too well. At any rate, your hubby should be prepared for multiple interviews.

I didn't get any callbacks until September/October, after the school year had already started. Then I had at least 5 schools call me before I took my name off their calling list. I already had a job by then.
Hi Pastelito de limon,

[SIZE=3]I have an interview for the teaching fellows in a few days and was wandering if you could please provide more information about the writing sample and how you answered it. Or maybe you could tell me how to wow them with the writing sample. Thanks. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]A bit about me: Through unemployment in physics I found myself tutoring part-time in math and physics. I find it gratifying to help struggling students and so I am looking at a career change to teaching full time.[/SIZE]

Thanks,

Thundergirl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: