Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2013, 11:17 PM

171 posts, read 355,828 times

Advertisements

We're getting settled in our apartment in East Memphis and have pretty much finished unpacking. I understand that apartment buildings in the city don't provide recycling pick-up. (sidebar: why???) So I was looking at the City of Memphis site to find out where to take my stack of cardboard boxes to be recycled. Their website helpfully tells me there are 5 drop-off locations around the city, but then unhelpfully says these centers don't accept cardboard. It gives not other information about what to do with cardboard.

I tried calling 311. They gave me a number to call. Turns out it was the landfill, and they don't recycle...

It seems like Bartlett's drop-off centers do accept cardboard. Is this really my only recycling option??

Thanks for any helpful hints!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 12:05 AM

550 posts, read 1,282,490 times
Have you checked these sites?

Memphis, TN - Cardboard Recycling & Disposal Centers

In Tennessee most people follow the Charlie Method of recycling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGv-ZmfTEcg

Old 06-13-2013, 07:57 AM

1,062 posts, read 2,052,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonista View Post
We're getting settled in our apartment in East Memphis and have pretty much finished unpacking. I understand that apartment buildings in the city don't provide recycling pick-up. (sidebar: why???) So I was looking at the City of Memphis site to find out where to take my stack of cardboard boxes to be recycled. Their website helpfully tells me there are 5 drop-off locations around the city, but then unhelpfully says these centers don't accept cardboard. It gives not other information about what to do with cardboard.

I tried calling 311. They gave me a number to call. Turns out it was the landfill, and they don't recycle...

It seems like Bartlett's drop-off centers do accept cardboard. Is this really my only recycling option??

Thanks for any helpful hints!

You can take them to Memphis Recyclers in Midtown on Agnes Place.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVAunit1981 View Post

Heh heh, thanks for that insider's knowledge

Old 06-13-2013, 10:09 AM

188 posts, read 372,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVAunit1981 View Post

Nice that none of those sites listed is anywhere near convenient for most Memphians. Why waste gas to drive an hour round trip to recycle cardboard? They used to take it at Shelby farms but stopped for some reason.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimelistener View Post
Nice that none of those sites listed is anywhere near convenient for most Memphians. Why waste gas to drive an hour round trip to recycle cardboard? They used to take it at Shelby farms but stopped for some reason.

Probably because of people with a bad attitude. This post says a lot about your mindset and ignorance.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:09 PM

188 posts, read 372,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead_vol View Post
Probably because of people with a bad attitude. This post says a lot about your mindset and ignorance.
Um, no. If you live in Cordova like I do it makes very little sense to haul it all the way to south third or one of the other locations. The city of Memphis never picks it up at the curb and it ends up being picked up by the crew that does yard debris.
Just use it for kindling.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Um, no. If you live in Cordova like I do it makes very little sense to haul it all the way to south third or one of the other locations. The city of Memphis never picks it up at the curb and it ends up being picked up by the crew that does yard debris.

Then you need to do something about it if it is such a big deal to drive into the city to drop it. How much cardboard do you actually have on a regular basis? The city recycling should pick up small amounts. Nonetheless you sound lazy, do some good for the environment would ya?

Old 06-13-2013, 01:05 PM

550 posts, read 1,282,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonista View Post
Heh heh, thanks for that insider's knowledge
You're welcome.

Quote:
Nice that none of those sites listed is anywhere near convenient for most Memphians.
That's recycling!

Old 06-13-2013, 11:14 PM

Quote:
If you're in Cordova, maybe one of these Bartlett sites would be closer for you. The website doesn't say anything about having to be a Bartlett resident to drop off at these locations.

Bartlett, TN - Official Website - Recycling Center Locations

And, thanks for the Agnes Pl tip, knucklehead_vol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis