Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 08:40 AM

112 posts, read 183,781 times

Advertisements

Wednesday Wall St Journal

Delta WILL cut 23% of local jobs

Delta WILL cut flights to 60

Frankly, I stated a long while ago, this was to happen, and got nay say-ed by cheerleaders who can't understand the status of MEM in relation to other markets....

The carrier was quoted "Memphis unprofitable as a HUB"........duh, no kidding

They have pushed more of their business which includes St Louis, and Raleigh....duh, no kidding again.

**********in the same article, it states that SOUTHWEST is adding FIVE (5) departing flights out of Memphis.......five ? this is laughable.....five freeking flights.....FIVE lol

It's official. Memphis will no longer be a hub city for a major passenger airline.

Last edited by characterRef; 06-05-2013 at 09:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 10:53 AM

A history lesson :

When Birmingham lost DELTA AIRLINES to Atlanta, Birmingham sealed its own fate in remaining a backward, slow, third-tier city from that point to the present....Birmingham has never recovered..and its airport still sucks even in 2013...Jefferson County filed bankruptcy..one of the largest municipal failures in American history.

Come now, Delta eliminating a HUB in Memphis TN....and no airlines are "fighting" with a vengeance to get into Memphis.

You figure out the future implications...I already have...and they are deep and severe.

Any person remember PINNACLE AIRLINES ?? gonzo...lol....and cheerleaders were praising that crap for Mem and I knew it was to be a failure and a bad move....predicted it 3 years earlier....

What does it take for Mem to learn ?
....Pinnacle, Delta, The Pyramid...lol...chasing NFL...lol..Bass Pro....lol

Wait until you find out what's up with FEDEX, and a few others....lol

Old 06-05-2013, 01:44 PM

845 posts, read 2,543,183 times
This does not come as a shock to anyone who has been paying attention. The writing was on the wall as soon as the two airlines merged. Delta is based in ATL; they have no need for another southern HUB in such close proximity to Atlanta. The cost to fly out of MEM on Delta was criminal and I am hopeful that Delta's departure will open more gates for other competing carriers, which should help reduce cost. Delta's crazy high prices drove many local air travelers to make the drive to Little Rock or Nashville to catch flight. With the money you would save on the plane tickets, it was well worth the drive.

As a prime example of Delta's crazy high prices I wanted to share one of my travel experiences. I was traveling to Raleigh, NC and looked to book a flight with Delta. The price was almost $800 round trip. I decided to use a family members buddy pass to fly standby to Raleigh and I booked a one way Delta flight from Raleigh to Phoenix that connected in Memphis to get back home. The flight from Raleigh to Phoenix was approximately $200, but the flight from Raleigh to Memphis (that was using the same plane) was $475. I just got off the plane in Memphis. How can you justify paying twice the price to travel a shorter distance? It does not make sense how Delta is gouging people who fly in and out of Memphis.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:53 PM

13,355 posts, read 39,974,327 times
It's fashionable to blame Delta, but long before Delta bought Northwest, Memphians were already driving to Little Rock and Nashville for cheaper flights than what was available out of MEM.

I agree that it is unlikely that MEM will ever rise to the prominence it once had among the nation's airports. This is no knock on Memphis as a city, but the regional population just isn't there to support a large, non-hub airport.

Still, it'll be interesting to see what, if any, former DL routes out of MEM will be picked up by other airlines, and it'll be fun to see what this does to MEM air fares.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 06-05-2013, 08:55 PM

Nashville got de-hubed by American a while back and things seemed to work out OK for them. I am hoping we see something similar happen in Memphis.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:10 PM

13,355 posts, read 39,974,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigertate View Post
Nashville got de-hubed by American a while back and things seemed to work out OK for them. I am hoping we see something similar happen in Memphis.
But Nashville receives a lot more tourists and business visiters than Memphis, and the population within Nashville's market area is much higher than in the Memphis area. I do agree that it's likely that some of DL's old routes will be taken over by other carriers, but it is highly unlikey that SW or anyone else will make a mini-hub in Memphis like they did just 200 miles away in BNA.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 06-08-2013 at 11:16 AM..

Old 06-05-2013, 10:44 PM

Who said anything about SW making Memphis a mini-hub? All I am saying is being de-hubed is not the end of the world. I am also not so sure about the disparity in tourist, buiness travelers, or the market area population. I do not think the spread in any of those areas is that great. I am gonna have to see some real data to believe that the spread is as large as your post implies. The passenger traffic is greater at BNA, but some people actually fly into Nashville to get to Memphis. No one comes through Memphis to get to Nashville. If prices were equal between the two airports the passenger volume would be much closer. Many people travel to Memphis. Several of those folks just choose not to fly in and out of MEM because of high prices.

Last edited by Tigertate; 06-05-2013 at 11:14 PM..

Old 06-05-2013, 11:03 PM

55 posts, read 100,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by characterRef View Post
A history lesson :

What does it take for Mem to learn ?
....Pinnacle, Delta, The Pyramid...lol...chasing NFL...lol..Bass Pro....lol

Wait until you find out what's up with FEDEX, and a few others....lol
I would agree that the powers that be in Memphis have made some poor decisions over the years with fiascos like Mud Island, Libertyland and as you have previously mentioned Peabody Place and the Pyramid. I'm also afraid that Bass Pro will someday be added to that list.

However, I think chasing the NFL was a smart move over the years and would have been successful if we had committed to building a new stadium. The NFL made the right choice in 1976 by picking Seattle and Tampa Bay but when the NFL expanded in the 1990s, they should have picked Charlotte and Memphis instead of Jacksonville. An NFL team in Memphis would have done very well.

Nashville getting a team certainly ends that dream for the rest of anyone's lifetime who is reading this forum, but we got the Grizzlies which is very good for Memphis so it probably worked out for the best.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:39 PM

some people don't get reality....or in denial about economic ramifications of screw-ups..

people didn't travel that much in MEM when NorthWorst ran the show, and that's a fact.

Nashville's tourism and international and national exposure vaulted Nashville right past Memphis, the largest city in the State...that process is already in motion...big time...the momentum in this travel respect is with Nashville in TN, not Memphis, TN...

of course it's not the end of the world, but it's demonstrably significant to business, to tourism to international exposure/expansion.

NO international service industry or manufacturer will EVER consider deliberately choosing a city with second rate air service and connections.....duh....that's how ATLANTA grew to attract soooooo many national and international "branch and regional offices" !! who the hell is stupid enough to put executives and support people at a deliberate travel disadvantage ! NO company or international endeavor is that stupid or backward......the same thing would apply if a city had no access to massive interstate systems....communications relays.....good schools, decent shopping, fantastic FOOD/grocery stores, progressive taxation, low impact fees.....or in some cases, even decent weather !

why would any company put themselves at a disadvantage when there are far more competitive choices ??? no board of directors is that stupid....even FEDEX is contemplating big changes whether you realize it or not....wake up ! lol

this is just another aspect/trait that puts Memphis behind.....look, going BACKWARDS is never perceived in a positive light by investors, business executives, entrepreneurs, transplants, or global ventures.....sorry, that's the hard truth.....having lousy transportation is a net NEGATIVE for business...

that's the truth, so stop attempting to minimize the perceptual damage...that's foolish. the damage is real, and validates the claim by many other cities that THEY are the ones "on the move"...whether it's Nashville, Charlotte, Tampa, Raleigh or Austin..

Memphis once again, sot itself in the foot, by not getting on top of this air travel issue thagt existed 20 years ago ! and everybody knows that if you've been around for more than 5 freekin years....old old problem that was never solved....so now you get to deal with more bad leadership....

Old 06-07-2013, 10:25 AM

speaking of "de-hubbing"

FEDEX would be smart to consolidate, and move the hub out of Memphis...could save them hundreds of millions of dollars over the next 10 years.

If I were on the Board, that would be my idea to increase shareholder value, long term. The social "fallout" would be significant, but you don't grow a business's profitability by riding the same dead horse into the ground...you shift, adapt, change...and look for efficiencies globally and never be "beholden" to the narrow, uncompetitive, "local color"....but hell....Fred might be smarter than all of us, and way ahead to boot.

If I were Fred, I would be looking for the next move for my shareholders and start packing my boxes for a destination to a great business location that could represent huge savings....that city would be Indianapolis...hell, I would have made the move 7 years ago....too many financial advantages to ignore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis