Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 02:57 PM

28 posts, read 38,278 times

Advertisements

I am planning to move to Memphis in a few months. I am a musician and would like to play around the city. First question does Memphis have a lot of opportunities for musicians? I am familiar with the blues scene and beale st. I play mostly folk/rock but am open to anything. If you could give me your personal description of what the music scene is like in Memphis.
Also I am looking for some ideas on where to live. I need cheap but in a safer area. I am a young single female. I have a dog. I do not want to live in the suburbs. I would like to live in the city. I am looking for a place that I can walk my dog and feel safe, and that if I play out somewhere that I don't have to worry too much about coming home late at night with a guitar. I would like some feedback but I want it based on facts not prejudice. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 03:35 PM

628 posts, read 1,688,648 times
Midtown Memphis. Look in areas like Cooper-Young & Vollintine-Evergreen for some decent rent. Midtown is where all the rock dives are too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midtown,_Memphis

Old 10-14-2011, 04:47 PM

506 posts, read 1,013,675 times
Memphis doesn't have a very strong music scene but Midtown is where you would want to be.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:30 PM

738 posts, read 2,580,495 times
This might be a good place to connect with musicians in Memphis
Memphis Music

Old 10-17-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
Memphis doesn't have a very strong music scene...
Memphis has a great independent music scene, one of the best in the country right now and historically, probably the BEST EVER. Also, we out perform most cities with commercial music exports too.

Last edited by Johnny Ryall; 10-17-2011 at 07:56 AM..

Old 10-17-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ryall View Post
Memphis has a great independent music scene, one of the best in the country right now and historically, probably the BEST EVER. Also, we out perform most cities with commercial music exports too.
I disagree. As someone who follows independent music closely, I'd say we have nothing compared other major cities in the South like Nashville, Atlanta, and Louisville. It's not the worst, either, but I wouldn't say Memphis is a "hot" area for music these days.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
I disagree. As someone who follows independent music closely, I'd say we have nothing compared other major cities in the South like Nashville, Atlanta, and Louisville. It's not the worst, either, but I wouldn't say Memphis is a "hot" area for music these days.
I'm not too current on Atlanta, but upon closer inspection I would expect to be suprised if not just because of the sheer size of their metro. Nashville & Louisville trumping Memphis independent music with something legit & street credible is laughable, no way.

Old 10-17-2011, 01:52 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,325,144 times
My experience with the Memphis music scene is limited mostly to the P&H and the Hi-Tone, both of which are great venues that feature a mix of local and touring acts.

My uncle (a Sun guy from back in the day) owns a studio 80 miles from Memphis. Most of the acts who record at his place come from Memphis; several of them have told him that their preferred studios in Memphis are booked solid and that it's difficult to book time in those places. Thus, they end up at his place -- and now, he stays booked solid, too.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:33 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,399,105 times
I would suggest living in midtown if you are into music. If anything, you'd be centrally located to most venues. It's got good areas, but also has bad. You need to do some investigative work when choosing a place to live there. But, I would say it's your best bet.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
My uncle (a Sun guy from back in the day) owns a studio 80 miles from Memphis. Most of the acts who record at his place come from Memphis; several of them have told him that their preferred studios in Memphis are booked solid and that it's difficult to book time in those places. Thus, they end up at his place -- and now, he stays booked solid, too.
Yeah, a LOT of people record in Memphis (and Oxford--Fat Possum is huge now). I just meant there aren't many significant artists originating in Memphis lately.

Last edited by Snake Plissken; 10-17-2011 at 10:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis