Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 02:56 PM

74 posts, read 151,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Memphis doesn't need hipsters. I hope that Memphis never turns to the 'hipster factor.' That's an absurd argument. For someone who supposedly runs a nonprofit, you're doing an awful lot of talking about 'grunge' and 'ick' but what you're actually talking about are people's lives. People who have been shut out of the economic opportunities that you and I have enjoyed, and our parents and their parents. They don't need "moneyed people" to come help them. They need improved access to the critical infrastructure like affordable healthcare, meaningful education, real crime control, housing and utility bill assistance, mental health counseling, and equitably-paying jobs. That isn't provided by building a damn Whole Foods to reduce the "grunge factor."

Memphis is what it is. If you can't deal with it, don't move there. It's a city that has taken in and dealt with a lot of very underprivileged and uneducated people. It's suffered from a vast failure of leadership, too. There's also thousands of amazing people that live there, who work every day to improve the lives of people around the world (St. Jude's, etc.) and closer to home (MIFA, the large number of CDCs, tons of other nonprofits). It's a beautiful, real city that doesn't need anything else to be 'complete' - because it's complete as is. It's Memphis.
Well, for one thing, before you get on my case about my non-profit, you have NO idea - NONE.

Second, I grew up dirt poor - no food, no parents, no home. Don't tell me about me about being poor. I've been on my own since I was 13. I think I know more about 'issues' than you do.

Third - Hipsters are usually educated, willing to spend money and are not into crime, and are all about revitalization.

But hey - you seem to think Memphis doesn't need people like me. Okay... So easy for you to talk about how awful I am because I don't find living in a worst areas beneficial. Yet YOU DON'T EVEN LIVE THERE!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 04:08 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
I understand what you are saying about improving services to the poor but Memphis is going to have to attract more middle class and upper class people and get them to move inside the I240 loop to help the city financially. Like it or not, that has to happen or Memphis will always struggle to provide basic services and always likely be staring at a 30 percent poverty rate.
That might be fine for a secondary economic development approach, but I maintain that Memphis' primary means of growing into a more sustainable and robust economy is through encouraging its large underclass to participate more fully. The people are already there, they just lack the ability to do so.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:01 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,337,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
That might be fine for a secondary economic development approach, but I maintain that Memphis' primary means of growing into a more sustainable and robust economy is through encouraging its large underclass to participate more fully. The people are already there, they just lack the ability to do so.

Everything you mention earlier about helping the hopeless has been put into place by the Federal government since the late sixties. Has any of it helped. Probably just a little. But what a devastating outcome for the investment.

Obviously you and many others in our society will never realize that one can't be forced to be a better and more productive person. All the words you use to help, support, encourage, subsidize etc., etc. are just wrong and have failed. (how would utility bill assistance lead to anyone being able to take responsibility for that sort of thing.)

Try words like teach, motivate, guide, to try and awaken the concept that no human being is so low that he can't raise himself to another level. It has happened for thousands of years and suddenly we should not expect people to contribute to their own wellbeing and self improvement.

I've seen life from many levels and I'm proud that I depend on myself for moving forward. Sad that people are being taught to not think like that. (I make a point of helping people who inspire in me a belief in them) PAY IT FORWARD

Old 09-28-2016, 07:34 PM

345 posts, read 530,932 times
Something happened between the 80s and the 90s

Old 09-29-2016, 03:10 PM

247 posts, read 336,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funtraveler1 View Post
Something happened between the 80s and the 90s
This is an accurate statement. Something happened.

I think there are areas of the city which could have huge "hipster" Yuppie appeal- the area around Overton Square/Cooper-Young, the South Main district, etc. They seem to be renovating older structures into mixed-use living complexes, which is a huge draw. Concentrating the young professionals into such areas would be a good starting point in helping portions of the city to flourish.

Old 09-29-2016, 03:18 PM

Not sure if you've been around Memphis in a while,but you just described what's been happening for the past 10 years, and in earnest for the past 4-5. South Main and Overton Square are now the hotbed, creative, young professional parts of the city. You could add Broad Avenue and Crosstown into that, too.

Old 09-29-2016, 05:51 PM

345 posts, read 530,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abc2330 View Post
This is an accurate statement. Something happened.

I think there are areas of the city which could have huge "hipster" Yuppie appeal- the area around Overton Square/Cooper-Young, the South Main district, etc. They seem to be renovating older structures into mixed-use living complexes, which is a huge draw. Concentrating the young professionals into such areas would be a good starting point in helping portions of the city to flourish.
True. But I do know leadership has to do alot with why Nashville is one of the fastest growing cities in the country and why Memphis (while not as bad as it was a couple years ago) is pretty much declining/stagnant

Old 09-29-2016, 06:45 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funtraveler1 View Post
True. But I do know leadership has to do alot with why Nashville is one of the fastest growing cities in the country and why Memphis (while not as bad as it was a couple years ago) is pretty much declining/stagnant
I think Memphis is slowly turning the corner. The biggest thing that needs to happen is the belief in change. I've met too many people with negative attitudes that I think hold the city back. That's the biggest contrast with Nashville over the past 25 years. Too many "we can'ts" in Memphis versus "we cans" in Nashville.

Old 09-29-2016, 07:30 PM

Theres a ton of those folks on this board, but soooooo many positive, upbeat, hard working folks in Memphis. When I lived there, I could literally have corralled them by the thousands. They're at every street festival, human services fair, at college and pro ball games - everywhere. Memphis has a huge problem in its city council, which literally has not caught up - at all - to the needs and desires and outlook of the everyday Memphian. Once a few of those folks either die or get so caught up in their own dysfunction *cough*Janice Fullilove*cough* that they have to quit Council, hopefully some things will have more rapid progress.

Old 09-30-2016, 09:02 AM

247 posts, read 336,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead_vol View Post
Did anyone say there was no creativity? I don't think so. And if you don't think Memphis has quite a bit of talent the you absolutely have no clue what your talking about with your backhanded compliment. Call it homegrown here. I think what you said about Nicole and the mommy club and thinking it was great was typical Nashville. I would rather see Mike Watt sit in at the Buc any night of the week than be in a daddy club with whatever her husband's name is. But that is the Memphis culture. Bring on the bad, the freaks, that is what makes us, we'll us. I mean there is really no comparing the two. Maybe in the 80's but geez someone spells Nashvulle wrong the whole city wants to jump on your back. I like the spirit, too bad Memphis doesn't have that, but it has been changing I think. But yea Nashville is a lot more polished than Memphis and I hope it stays that way. Hipsters stay away.
I agree with the assessment on "creative types". I'm a musician, and the music community in Nashville is much more "sterile"- the professionals are usually very nice, but indifferent about the music they are playing. The ones on the brink or who barely missed their shot are the snobbiest musicians that I have ever met, and there are a ton in Nashville. It's a business-like, dog-eat-dog mentality.

In Memphis, I can go see a band play, an open-mic night, and it usually leads to discussions about music, influences, and even jam sessions. Seeing local shows is more fun to me, because they are composed of fewer bands trying to make connections and become famous, and they are just out there to have a good time and they're playing what they love. There are many who are easily as talented as anyone in Nashville, but they feel like engaging in that process and grind would make them lose part of themselves. So they are more "creative" in my mind, while those in Nashville are just more driven to monetize their talents. There are exceptions, but I have been much more discouraged while meeting musicians in Nashville than back in Memphis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis