Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 11:10 PM

8 posts, read 14,815 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I got a job in Memphis, I would be joining in 3 to 4 weeks, it's in downtown. I have been searching for a single bed room apartment to rent Have found few on rent.com in and around the mud island, but thought I would ask the experts here.
Are South Bluffs apartments nice? How about Belle Habour, and Island park?

If I live in Germantown or Collierville will the commute to downtown is going to be tough?

My preference is a nicer and safer place, not too expensive.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
Soni
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 01:52 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,347,596 times
Default so many buildings...so little time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soni2580 View Post
Hi everyone,

I got a job in Memphis, I would be joining in 3 to 4 weeks, it's in downtown. I have been searching for a single bed room apartment to rent Have found few on rent.com in and around the mud island, but thought I would ask the experts here.
Are South Bluffs apartments nice? How about Belle Habour, and Island park?

If I live in Germantown or Collierville will the commute to downtown is going to be tough?

My preference is a nicer and safer place, not too expensive.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
Soni

try main street apartments downtown. i would definitely try the new metro building. very good prices. there are some very nice ones available on the island. goodwyn apts is another one to check out. good luck to you. direct message me, and i can give you a current list w/ listings of prices, amenities, parking, etc. pictures of inside and out. i would give you the information in this forum; however, it would violate the TOA, but it is absolutely exhaustive concerning what is availabe in memphis. again, congratulations to you on the employment and your move to memphis. welcome.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:14 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,379,478 times
South Bluffs is nice and safe. I assume lots of young people in all the apartments downtown. Anything on the island is going to be nice, and probably a bit safer just due to the fact the island is more isolated and not within walking distance to much.

My personal preference is that if you are going to live downtown, why live on the island where you still have to drive everywhere? If you lived in the core, or even South Main (where South Bluffs is) you could walk to a ton of restaurants, bars, etc. And possibly walk to work, or take the trolley. But if you have kids, or want a big house with a yard, obviously downtown wouldn't work for you period.

Lots of people commute from Gtown or Cville. I would say during rush hour, and then the fact you'd (probably) have to park in a garage downtown and then walk to work, it would take you about an hour in the mornings. Or you could live close by downtown and walk to work in 5 minutes

Everyone always recommends the 10 S. Main apartments, but it seems to always be full due to it's popularity. Might want to try and call. Very cool old building, great views, and from what I hear the employees are very nice and do a lot for the residents.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:08 AM

Thank you so much for the responses. Since I have very little time, I'm planing to sign a shorter lease and get into some nice apartment and then do my search ones i'm in Memphis.

I don't have kids, so south bluffs seems to be a good option. I thought this was on mud island, looks like you said it is in downtown. So, you think this would be a safe bet considering a shorter lease and the distance to my work place? Probably later I would want to find a nicer place in G'town or Collierville.

Again thank you so much for your responses. I do appreciate it.

Regards,
Soni

Old 09-17-2009, 08:19 AM

No, South Bluffs is not near mud island. It's on the opposite side of downtown, in the South Bluffs gated community. Near Front and G.E. Patterson. It's still a bit of a hike to the core of downtown (where the majority of companies, businesses, etc are located) but there is a trolley that goes that way if you wanted to take that. However, it's still a few blocks from the South Bluffs apartments to that trolley, and then you'd have to wait on it, and it can be a slow drive sometimes. I'm not sure about the consistency of the trolley, since I've only ridden it for leisure and not as a way to get to work.

Otherwise, if you wanted to walk back and forth to work, it would be better to live in the core of downtown. But that is me assuming that you will be working in the core of downtown. Do you know an intersection near where your new office will be?

However, in South Bluffs you'd be able to park your car outside your door in a lot (it's like a complex). In the core of downtown, you'd have to park in a garage ($) and walk from the garage to your building. There are positives and negatives to all of it.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:51 AM

Hi,
I'm trying to hold the apartment by paying the deposit, but many are not available for Oct 1st. I have found one apartment in the zipcode 38125 (Preserve at forest creek), do you think it's a nice area, and how about the commute to downtown every morning. The Google maps show 25 minutes, would it be more than that?

Plz help....I want to go for this apartments if it is in a nice area. So, that I can concentrate on moving my stuff and the car.

Thank you so much in advance...

Regards,
Soni

Old 09-17-2009, 09:36 AM

The apartments should be fine. A long commute to work though, but all interstate. (Near 385 and Forest Hill Irene). Near a big outdoor mall area, The Avenue, which is nice and has good shopping and some nicer restaurants.

It seems odd that you would be deciding between something that far out, and something downtown. Completely different lifestyles. But, if you are only planning on being there 6 months, I think the Collierville complex would be fine.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:55 PM

55 posts, read 179,445 times
Check out the Memphis Flyer's website and see if any of the condos in South Main are available. I looked at South Bluffs and was unimpressed with the cleanliness, the construction and the money for the amount of space offered. Many of the condos come with parking, too.

The drive to downtown from Collierville every morning wouldn't be good, but it's all in what you're comfortable with. The "feel" of Collierville and the other suburbs is much more family and kids than fun single person.

Kimmie

Old 09-18-2009, 07:48 PM

57 posts, read 353,053 times
I like Island Park, a lot of terrible reviews on apartmentratings but I've been here almost 2 months and love it. Downtown does have its advantages over the island though

Old 09-23-2009, 06:40 PM

242 posts, read 974,633 times
Preserve At Forest Creek is nice. I viewed them, they have alot of ammenities. You need to look on the apartment guide. There are some really cool places downtown. If you dont have kids, that would be a good fit. Right in the middle of everything! Some of the downtown places are REALLY cool.

we are renting out of Uptown Square and they have a really decent rent range. They are gated and on the edge of downtown. Walking distance to the trolly. Lots of single working and college age people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis