Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2012, 01:13 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,353,365 times

Advertisements

HI folks, i wanted to write about my depression and how i have beaten it and hopefully, it can help someone. this is without a doubt the biggest triumph of my life and life only seems to be getting better.

i first wanted to kill myself in fourth grade. i have suffered from serious depressive episodes off and on (mostly on) since then, and i am 39 years old. that is a LONG time to be living a compromised life. i am still discovering how depression can be self perpetuating by rooting out all the personality traits that have developed within me due to my depressions. well, not so much rooting them out as becoming aware that that isn't ME. it isn't the me that is emerging.

my problem, i have discovered, was my thyroid. i started a supplement a month and a half ago, and the results have been nothing less than miraculous.

i have always had a problem with losing weight. i have already dropped 7 pounds. my cravings have gone. i am more social than i have ever been, and am no longer exhausted by human company, needing long periods of alone time to recalibrate.

i no longer wake up crying, or get into arguments over trifles. i don't take things so seriously and am having a much easier time giving my time and love to others, because my mental energy is not so focused on myself and my own sadness.

its amazing, really, what energy depression takes from you. it saps you and makes you panic, because you feel like you can't handle one more thing. that one more thing could be as normal as having to take a shower that day, or deal with an unpleasant person, or any of the other things that normal people have to deal with everyday. when all your energy is being used to survive, you can't focus as well on other things.

my focus, which has always been incredible despite my depression, has increased to a sort of pinpoint inner vision. i no longer make decisions on my emotions, but on rational thought. and strangely enough, i can visualize more clearly. i can think of something in my mind and hold it in my mind, and it doesn't disappear. this is a strange by-product i didn't expect. i have never been able to meditate, my brain seems to run too fast and be a cacophony of images. now i can hold an image. very strange.

and i KNOW it isn't situational, as i live in a very large house with alot of other artists and just last week we had a "family crisis" that saw just about everyone at each other's throats. i was able to mediate calmly, express love for everyone, and be a part of the solution and talk everyone down from the ledge. i was AMAZED at how clear i became, and how loving. before, i would have been in tears the whole time and part of the melee. this time i was able to rise above and see a bigger picture.

its possible to overcome depression, especially if its a chemical imbalance, which i think in long term depression it inevitably is to a degree. now that i have emerged from this dark tunnel that i just thought was my cross to bear, i can release the energy i used to hold myself up and project it outwards. i have a growing respect for myself as a consequence, that i used to be able to keep myself operating even tho inside i was dying. that's a huge energy expenditure and in a way it made me stronger and more resilient. if i can make it through life hobbled as i was, imagine what i can do now that i am whole? its just an amazing journey and every day i find myself smiling. i have to stop and remember and be thankful because i know there are so many others out there suffering and maybe if they just had their thyroids checked or even just started a supplement they could be given a running start on beating it.

i hope someone out there reads this and it sparks something for them. keep trying, you never know when you find the solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 02:27 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,796,829 times
thanks for sharing and congrats on feeling so much better.
You didn't give the name of the supplement. I'm sure others would also benefit from that information.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:25 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,353,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
thanks for sharing and congrats on feeling so much better.
You didn't give the name of the supplement. I'm sure others would also benefit from that information.
i was sort of afraid to, i didn't want anyone thinking i was tryin to sell them something! what i am taking is called thyromine and it works!

Old 08-16-2012, 02:00 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,796,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
i was sort of afraid to, i didn't want anyone thinking i was tryin to sell them something! what i am taking is called thyromine and it works!
thanks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health