Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 03:35 PM

593 posts, read 1,661,100 times

Advertisements

A lot of things that I used to have fun with like the internet and even going to certain places aren't doing it for me anymore. I've been feeling really lazy lately and don't even wanna be bothered by anybody for the most part (people around me acting like they can't be bothered with me anyway, at least that's what i think.) I'm really starting to shut myself away from the world and away from people. I feel as if I'm heading in the direction of an anti social nutjob where I really don't care about people or life or myself. How can I change this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 03:47 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,328,033 times
Hmmm. How long have you been feeling this way?

Will you give me an estimate of your age? Something like 20-30 or 40-50 or whatever? Your age will give me an idea of what step you are on in the ladder of your life life.

There have been things in my life that have changed and most of them are for the better. Some of them did not feel like they would be for the better, though. I can recall a couple of changes that I fought kicking and screaming.

Old 10-29-2010, 04:39 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angerinthenation View Post
I feel as if I'm heading in the direction of an anti social nutjob where I really don't care about people or life or myself. How can I change this?
Avoid the stress that put you into this mood. Stop looking at the negative side of daily issues and try to find a positive view instead. It's ok to feel a dislike for something but then find something good about it to help balance your thoughts and feelings. Just thinking positive helps to turn things around.

Old 10-29-2010, 04:43 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
OP ... I recommend that you get some counseling as it seems that you may be suffering from depression. I've battled depression during several difficult seasons in my life and having someone to talk through and counsel me helped me to overcome my depression. It also helped me to put things into their proper perspective. During life, we all go through seasons of ups and downs so this season you are in WILL PASS even through you may not see it. Please get some help as you should not be facing this alone.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:36 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,209,541 times
Chatteress is right. There are ups and there are downs to life. We all go through periods when it seems like we are wandering in the darkness and there is no light in sight. I second the recommendation that you go for counseling. Your doctor may be able to prescribe something to help you through this down cycle and in the meantime, get yourself involved with activities that will take you "outside" of yourself........whether that is building model airplanes, redoing the kitchen, helping out with some community activities, volunteering at a nursing home....ANYTHING to get your mind occupied with something else. Good luck.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:10 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,271,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
OP ... I recommend that you get some counseling as it seems that you may be suffering from depression. I've battled depression during several difficult seasons in my life and having someone to talk through and counsel me helped me to overcome my depression. It also helped me to put things into their proper perspective. During life, we all go through seasons of ups and downs so this season you are in WILL PASS even through you may not see it. Please get some help as you should not be facing this alone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Chatteress is right. There are ups and there are downs to life. We all go through periods when it seems like we are wandering in the darkness and there is no light in sight. I second the recommendation that you go for counseling. Your doctor may be able to prescribe something to help you through this down cycle and in the meantime, get yourself involved with activities that will take you "outside" of yourself........whether that is building model airplanes, redoing the kitchen, helping out with some community activities, volunteering at a nursing home....ANYTHING to get your mind occupied with something else. Good luck.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:28 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,549,314 times
I agree with Chatteress. It sounds like you're experiencing clinical depression. You should consult a psychiatrist. Take it from someone who has been there.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:20 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,860,822 times
At this point I think its actually a little normal to feel like that from time to time as a lot of people are with the economy, lack of jobs, prices going up and then all the BS the media feeds us. For one thing don't view newscasts because those are setting people into some frightening moods. I've noticed people I know who normally are nice are becoming hateful, antisocial or getting explosive temperments seemingly out of nowhere. I just consider it a bad response to stress.

I'd cut yourself some slack and realize these are difficult times. Meanwhile try to find things to lighten your mood (aside from drugs, smoking or alcohol). Find some people you do like being around or at least make it a point to socialize in person with others at least once or twice a week. Find positive people or groups to be around. Now might be the time to discover a new hobby. It also helps to exercise when you are feeling batty because exercise creates endorphins and will change your mood.

Old 10-30-2010, 10:13 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,567,226 times
Well there is a difference between being "bummed" out or depressed about temporary issues and true depression. Once you start losing interest in activities you enjoy & start avoiding socializing it really sounds like you are clinically depressed.
Anger? It doesn't mean you are crazy but go see somebody professionally. It can't hurt right?

Old 10-30-2010, 10:35 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,001,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
At this point I think its actually a little normal to feel like that from time to time as a lot of people are with the economy, lack of jobs, prices going up and then all the BS the media feeds us. For one thing don't view newscasts because those are setting people into some frightening moods. I've noticed people I know who normally are nice are becoming hateful, antisocial or getting explosive temperments seemingly out of nowhere. I just consider it a bad response to stress.

I'd cut yourself some slack and realize these are difficult times. Meanwhile try to find things to lighten your mood (aside from drugs, smoking or alcohol). Find some people you do like being around or at least make it a point to socialize in person with others at least once or twice a week. Find positive people or groups to be around. Now might be the time to discover a new hobby. It also helps to exercise when you are feeling batty because exercise creates endorphins and will change your mood.
Well, this is very good advice for anyone. And exercise is always good. I lost my Dad on August 28th. Very sad, but not unexpected. I did go crazy there for a bit and ended friendships that had to end. All of this advice is good and I recommend it. Too, counseling is good as are the RIGHT psychotropic meds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health