Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 10:08 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,016,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I just want to add that I would think that a low carb diet would be good, for improvement, but esp for prevention, b/c a lot of the new studies coming out are pointing to the idea that poor blood sugar control may be the culprit in brain cell death and you don't even have to be diabetic--mom never was--so I should think that the tighter your BS control, the better off you'll be. I was looking into the very same thing this past December and will be looking into it again for myself before too long.
Well that's kind of what I was trying to get feedback on. First of all, I've been on a low carb diet for awhile and have had success losing weight and lowering my risk factors for heart disease and diabetes. I also feel better and more mentally sharp.

I have some history of Alzheimer's in my family, so if it is purely genetic I have a chance of getting it. I guess you start thinking about these things in your mid-forties- at least when you've witnessed the end for some older relatives recently. I guess I always thought it was just the luck of the draw type thing.

Obviously there are a lot of people who don't buy into the low carb philosophy and I've received this feedback on other threads. Some still focus on calories and calories only, as in a calorie of protein, fat and carbs are equal. I don't think so. I think carbs effect our bodies in bad ways and may impact our likliehood of getting alzheimers, which some are now calling Type 3 diabetes.

Assuming for a moment that one can avoid these diseases by relatively simple changes in diet, I do wonder if that message will ever be accepted. Look at how much money is in the pills, surgeries, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 08:35 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Well that's kind of what I was trying to get feedback on. First of all, I've been on a low carb diet for awhile and have had success losing weight and lowering my risk factors for heart disease and diabetes. I also feel better and more mentally sharp.

I have some history of Alzheimer's in my family, so if it is purely genetic I have a chance of getting it. I guess you start thinking about these things in your mid-forties- at least when you've witnessed the end for some older relatives recently. I guess I always thought it was just the luck of the draw type thing.

Obviously there are a lot of people who don't buy into the low carb philosophy and I've received this feedback on other threads. Some still focus on calories and calories only, as in a calorie of protein, fat and carbs are equal. I don't think so. I think carbs effect our bodies in bad ways and may impact our likliehood of getting alzheimers, which some are now calling Type 3 diabetes.

Assuming for a moment that one can avoid these diseases by relatively simple changes in diet, I do wonder if that message will ever be accepted. Look at how much money is in the pills, surgeries, etc.
Well thank God it's not purely genetic--I think it is for only a very small percentage just of people who get alzheimer's and even then it's only for those whose parent died of early onset--I kept my mouth real shut the other night when I was talking to a lady about it and her father had started to have symptoms shortly after his 50th birthday. The rest of us have the genetic markers if we have it in the family but it's not inevitable, so I'm thinking that lifestyle changes can't hurt and congrats on your weightloss and feeling better--my diet starts today--I've gained weight from all the stress but things will be better now.

I might also add that I have an aunt in a nursing home--she's had it at least 15 years and she's 95 now and still going strong--she even broke a hip about 3 years ago and recovered from that and the family is horrified by the thought of keeping someone in a nursing home for 15 years but what can you do? My thought with this aunt has always been that she suffered from a vitamin B-12 deficiency that was never treated b/c she never went to a doctor in later years and she's had stomach problems all of her life and had stomach surgery in her youth and also suffered from bulimia. Also, she was a near vegetarian and just didn't eat much in general--has always been very slim. A b-12 deficiency can cause dementia and once it gets past a certain point, it can't be reversed, so make sure you get your b-12. Methylcobalamin is the best absorbed form. I don't know if mom had that problem too, but I found out that hot, red, itchy feet is a symptom of a deficiency and mom certainly suffered from that in recent years--she was always putting anti-fungal spray on but it made no difference. Of course, she may have had the cancer for awhile and it could have started in her stomach, which I'm guessing would interfere with the absorption of b-12. You just never know.

Well I'm like you--I certainly am searching out everything I can find about how to prevent this horrible illness--it's simply not true that those with AD don't know what's happening to them--they do know at times and they hate it and the depression and despondency are horrible to watch as I'm sure they are to experience. Something is wrong in la-la land here and I'd sure like to prevent it for me and everyone else if possible.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:40 AM

1 posts, read 952 times
Iam finding enhancings in the mood and behavior of my aunt that have advanced dementia,using massages with extra virgin coconut oil in her arms and legs three to four times a day.
That massages with coconut oil works as" transderma
l patches" , once coconut oil has comproved absortion by the skin , reaching g the blood stream.
We aregiving to thesupplement called l-carnosine (it is NOT carnitine) with capsules of 100miligrams of l-carnosine at morning and at night , getting great control of mpod and behavior disordrs dementia-related , using both natural supplements (mazsages with coconut oil and capsules of l-carnosine

Old 06-22-2012, 06:29 AM

833 posts, read 1,714,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolflett View Post
Yes there has been some research but they can't get the funding they need to keep it going because it won't make the drug companies rich. Check DR. Newport.
sure,sure................sarc

Old 06-22-2012, 01:31 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Stepka, I didn't know about your mother. I am so sorry. I remember you mentioning she had memory problems several times. Hugs to you, friend.

I started my low-carb diet last Saturday after being off of it for years. I've already lost 7 pounds and feel better. New year, newly single and hopefully newly healthy! I definitely want to try the coconut products. I bought coconut water, once, and hated it, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health