Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2011, 03:20 PM

108 posts, read 181,846 times

Advertisements

Due to the suggestion of many people online, I've started visiting a therapist at my university. I've only had one session so far and will have to wait over a week for the next one because I will be out of town. I hope that it will help me get better.

I feel like I have dependent personality disorder. I feel like I should tell my therapist why I think so next time I meet her.

I have one friend in particular (who I've mentioned before) who I feel extremely dependent on. She said she'll always be there if I need someone to talk to. I've asked her multiple times to make sure that I'm not annoying her too much, but she says that it's okay. I can tell she cares about me and is worried, but she sometimes does get frustrated with how negative I am about life.

Let's look at the DSM definition... I (1) have difficulty making everyday decisions without an excessive amount of advice. I ask her if I should do X or Y, which one I should do first, etc. I guess that is closely linked with (2), needing her to assume responsibility for most major areas of my life. I also find that I (3) don't like disagreeing with people because I fear they'll not like me anymore. So, I'll just sort of nod along even if I disagree. I guess I do (5) do things that I don't particularly want to do, because I want people to like me. I'll help them with school assignments, for example, even if I really don't want to. I definitely feel (6) uncomfortable/helpless alone, and I have a horrible horrible (7) fear of abandonment. I feel that after college I'll lose all my close friendships and I feel like people are ignoring me or don't care about me if they don't respond to a text/message. Sometimes I feel like it's better not to get into close relationships, that way I won't be hurt as much when someone leaves.

What do y'all think? I want to be more independent from her because I always feel horrible when she's not around. But, at the same time I feel like getting better will be a painful process
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 02:58 AM

977 posts, read 1,109,345 times
I haven't read any prior posts you've made (that I'm aware of) but do want to congratulate you on being wise enough to get help thru therapy. It has helped me many times. (various issues)

As far as the self diagnosis? I read the link you gave---sounds like it's possible you have that disorder based on what you've said. Why not tell your therapist? It's a good starting point, if nothing else. Plus it demonstrates that you are an active participant in your therapy and have taken some initiative in researching the problem---a plus, I would say.

I wish you good luck and good progress.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:59 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,130,979 times
Enzio,
I agree with Artangel, that your self-awareness is a great start!

I think everybody is somewhat dependent on others. We start out 100% dependent as babies... Some become too independent, others too dependent. Being interdependent is ideal... which is having a secure sense of self, and being able to share that with others & appreciate what others have to share.

I've struggled with something similar & "Codependent No More" by Melody Beattie - helped. Basically, it's taking responsibility for our own happiness... for our own thoughts & letting others do the same.

Good luck with overcoming this & being better for it!

Old 02-05-2012, 11:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,699 times
Default Dependent Personality suspicions

Enzio1, I just got out of a relationship with a woman that I believe has DPD. We were together for 3 months and for 1 month I lived with her. If it might still be useful to you, I could share with you a little about it to see if the shoe fits. Sounds like she had some of the same symptoms you had/have.

This post is a little old, so maybe it isn't even an issue any more or it isn't the issue it was when it was written.

Also, maybe it will give me a little perspective accepting what went wrong in the relationship that I haven't fully realized yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health