Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2012, 09:18 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,148,390 times

Advertisements

While I no longer own a TV there are some shows that I will watch on occasion if I get the chance. I’m little concerned about my friend. She watches anywhere from 10-12 hours of TV a day. I’ve known her a few years and she’s always been this way. She comes home from work and it’s instantly the TV comes on. I think some night she does not even get much sleep. It’s not helping that Netflix offers tons of streaming choices either. I have tried talking to her about it, but she’ll have none of that.

Maybe I'm feeling evil, but sometimes I wish a power surge would kill her TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 10:57 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,853,985 times
One of the best bumper stickers around is "kill your television".
Of course people are addicted to t.v..
Also, people who live alone often keep it on all of the time just to have some human presence around.
I think the internet (especially sites like this one where people are tying to connect and relate) are extremely addictive ... maybe even more so than television.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:51 AM

88,625 posts, read 84,895,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
One of the best bumper stickers around is "kill your television".
Of course people are addicted to t.v..
Also, people who live alone often keep it on all of the time just to have some human presence around.
I think the internet (especially sites like this one where people are tying to connect and relate) are extremely addictive ... maybe even more so than television.
I agree with that. It's getting so that I have to consciously tell myself not to sign on and to go do something else.

But I live alone and sometimes my television isn't on for weeks!

Old 01-18-2012, 05:19 AM

25,965 posts, read 22,149,005 times
The NEED to have it on all the time and "I just have it on for the noise." is an addiction with "need" being the operative. We turned off cable almost 3 years ago because of the horrible stuff they were airing and my husband literally went nuts. It provides a way to "zone" out which is what an addiction does. Of course, he turned to the internet. Then it was reading and............................. You have to be really tough to deal with someone with an addiction of any sort and know that you will never be a priority over the addiction.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:25 AM

2,190 posts, read 6,853,985 times
At this very moment (and in every moment) there are millions of people in the country staring at a screen whether it's a t.v. screen, computer screen, i-phone, cell phone, etc..
It is, imo, disturbing.
So on a personal level it can be an issue of addiction but the larger picture is one of a huge percentage of the population often distracting themselves (i include myself) from life itself!
This is problematic i think for a lot of reasons ... personally, culturally, globally.
If people are mesmerized by the screen they are not paying full attention to what is happening in the here and now (and this is a really critical time in human history) and are becoming more and more "head" oriented, disconnected from their bodies, from the earth and from each other.
I like to "relate" on c-d-f but i'm also aware that it is a virtual thing.
But i'd much rather hang out on this forum (as opposed to the, imo, ridiculous sites like facebook, etc.) because at least there is the opportunity to possibly find useful advice and / or to be helpful or at least try to be.
So there's some virtue in it.
This is my little "trick" to mitigate the disembodied aspect of sitting in front of the computer screen .... breath consciously.
No matter if i'm reading or writing i try, at the same time, to keep my attention on my breath and so stay in my body and keep the energy moving / circulating throughout it.
It can be a challenge.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:10 PM

20,938 posts, read 28,455,262 times
yeah I am addicted to TV and the internet. I would say I watch TV at least 4-5 hours a day and spend maybe 1 hour a day on the computer. I don't sit and watch TV for 5 hours straight. I spread it out from the time I get up (7am) till I go to bed (11pm) some days I watch less. I work partime as a sub in a school cafeteria so on the days I work I watch less TV. I don't think it's a big but that's me. I need TV and internet otherwise I'll go out of my mind. There is only so much household chores you can do all day and I seond about 1 hour everyday doing those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health