Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 10:25 AM

61 posts, read 116,485 times

Advertisements

Do you believe that if you are of sound mind that you would have the right to end your life based on life issues other than extreme physical or terminal illness?

I believe that you do have that right if life has caused you to question your existence in the first place.

Julia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 11:39 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,809,139 times
Yes and yes. In fact, I've been considering it for 2 years now. Long overdue for me. When your dreams are shattered and you can't recover from it, cut your losses. Thats what I intend to do.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:41 PM

659 posts, read 1,148,381 times
No..because anyone who would consider that is not in the right frame of mind, they need help if they consider it...your assuming an healthy minded person would want to end their life? NO..not that is not possible.

Old 12-10-2011, 01:12 PM

48 posts, read 64,560 times
If a person want to end his/her life then it's their decision. You can't force someone to live.

Old 12-10-2011, 03:30 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,229,313 times
Yes, you have the right to die when you wish.

However, you also have an obligation to those around you. Will your taking your own life make it worse for them? Will they feel guilt because they didn't do more for you?

While you may think that your death will not affect anyone, you can't be sure of this. Would you really want to make life worse for someone else?

If nothing else, think about the person that will find your body. Will it be a horrible experience that they will never forget? Bloody? Smelly?

Think about the person that has to pay for your disposal (even if it's the taxpayer that puts you in a pauper's grave) Make sure that you leave behind money to pay for this.

Old 12-10-2011, 05:34 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,866,198 times
And don't forget that your insurance policy will not pay a single dime to anyone, if they discover that your death was caused intentionally by you. Suicide is an exemption to insurance claims. So best make sure your loved ones have plenty of money to cover the cost of your cremation - and don't forget you can't be buried in a catholic or jewish cemetary if you kill yourself.

In summary - you don't have a _right_ to kill yourself. You -can- kill yourself - meaning, you're probably capable of completing such a task. But it isn't a right granted to you by any government, or by Judeo-Christian law. It is also not an "inalienable right" - meaning, the right to life, liberty, or persuit of happiness. The right to death - is not a right. It's a fact. You -will- die, eventually. Attempting to kill yourself is actually illegal in some states, and if you fail, and are caught, you could be institutionalized without your consent and declared incompetent.

So no, it's not a right. It might be an ethically or morally correct act in certain circumstances, but being ethically and/or morally correct doesn't make it a "right."

Old 12-10-2011, 07:09 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,260,296 times
I agree with Padgett2 that you have an "obligation to those around you". My daughter's best friend killed himself at age 16. He suffocated himself with a plastic bag and ziptie on a Thursday night. His parents found him the next morning. My daughter blamed herself for not insisting that he stay on the phone with her when he sort of "blow her off" during a phone conversation on Thursday afternoon. She was so devastated that we had to watch her very carefully for the next months because of her sudden, serious depression. It is now eight years later and his death is still a part of her daily life (sort of like PTS) and still greatly effects her mental health. He has several other close friends who also have PTS type problems or started having problems with depression after his death. And, needless to say, his parents and siblings were and are heartbroken.
Athough, D. had been battling depression for some time when he took his own life there was no immediate warning. In fact, he had made numerous advanced plans to do things with friends (as was his nature). He had plans to meet with my daughter on Saturday and had tickets to go to a concent with a friend for his friend's birthday the next week, etc. As far as anyone knows nothing out of the ordinary happened that week or that Thursday and no one has any idea why he did it.
I don't know why D. did what he did but everytime my daughter calls me up at 3 o'clock in the morning crying I wonder if things wouldn't have been different if he would have had the courage to continue living rather than taking his own life that night.
Please get help. What may seem like a shattered life today, this week, this month or even this year (or two years) may be able to be repaired. Please for the sake of everyone around you try again.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:12 PM

659 posts, read 1,148,381 times
If that person was your chlid, mother or best friend, would you tell them, ok sure, you have a right to go off yourself? Would you tell that to someone you love? NO! I serously doubt that!

Old 12-10-2011, 07:40 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,863,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
And don't forget that your insurance policy will not pay a single dime to anyone, if they discover that your death was caused intentionally by you. Suicide is an exemption to insurance claims.
That's incorrect.

Life insurance policies exclude payment for suicide only during the first one or two years of the policy term. After that, suicide claims are paid just like any other cause of death.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:06 PM

229 posts, read 333,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faster_kitty_faster View Post
Do you believe that if you are of sound mind that you would have the right to end your life based on life issues other than extreme physical or terminal illness?

I believe that you do have that right if life has caused you to question your existence in the first place.

Julia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Yes and yes. In fact, I've been considering it for 2 years now. Long overdue for me. When your dreams are shattered and you can't recover from it, cut your losses. Thats what I intend to do.
As a person who also suffers from anxiety and depression, here are a couple of forums where you could receive much more support, empathy and advice than you are presently getting in this thread.

Suicidal.com - When No One Knows Your Pain - A Place of Hope & Compassion for the Depressed & Suicidal

The Depression Forums - A Depression & Mental Health Social Community Support Group

There are people who truly understand and care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health