Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 05:55 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,001,241 times

Advertisements

Alzheimer's runs on both sides of my family. My dad died of it last year. I am 52. The problem is I don't lose unimportant stuff. I lose important stuff. The most recent items I've lost would be a power of attorney doc and a trust doc. I've dug through all the recycling and nothing. I've gone through my entire house and nothing. I cannot figure out where they went. Is this my ADD or something more sinister at work?

I am on Adderall generic for ADD but started not too long ago, but the trust disappeared recently. Thank God I have it on my computer as I'm meeting with a lawyer on Friday. Too, I've been paranoid maybe more than I should be. While I have evidence that one friend was stealing from me, I am assuming another did but have no proof. I attribute the worst motives to most, but that might be because of my experiences in the past year. And while I have evidence of dangerous objects being thrown in my dogs' yard and know who would do it, I've now found a piece of glass next to the pool and am wondering how it got there and now wondering if he didn't throw glass in my pool. I should say that the same morning I found the glass was the same morning my pool part broke (punctured diaphram) and I had to go buy a new one and there was and is a slit in the fin. All of this is getting the best of me and it's like I am anticipating the worst to happen and it's turning me into a paranoid person who thinks people are are fundamentally given to do bad things when given the chance.

Anyway, I drive myself crazy when I get like this. It's like I can't stop looking for something. I start looking in crazy places thinking I might have hidden it there - places like the microwave, cabinets, dishes, my car, everywhere. I look through the same files and some over and over. I guess I just have to accept I might have thrown it out by accident, but it really bothers me. Does anyone else do things like this? Throw out really important stuff? And sorry this is so long, but I literally drive myself crazy when I get like this. It's almost like have OCD. And now my house is a mess and I'm no closer to finding anything and still not satisfied and still wondering where those things went. And I'll probably still keep on looking!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 07:09 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,774,983 times
Could be stress related and it does sound like you may be affected by OCD.

I would discuss this issue with your doctor.

Don't panic, I too, sometimes misplace items. I have learned to sit back and try to visulize where I last saw the item, generally, that leads me to finding it.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydo View Post
Could be stress related and it does sound like you may be affected by OCD.

I would discuss this issue with your doctor.

Don't panic, I too, sometimes misplace items. I have learned to sit back and try to visulize where I last saw the item, generally, that leads me to finding it.
Thanks, Dollydo. I am not going to find that POA. I must have lost it a year ago. I have two others that show I was left off and then added, but it's not the one I wanted. Yes, I do have the trust and amendment, but not the POA. It really bothers me that I'd lose such an important doc.

At any rate, I am going to talk to my Dr. about all of this. I see him on the 13th. I am really trying to ascertain my father's mental state when he signed that amendment. My Dr. up north just called me so I know I broke my rib in late Sept or first part of Oct in 2002, which would make it about 13/14 months between the time my father signed the amendment to his trust and my really noticing his dementia. I broke my rib as I was so distraught over his dementia. If none of this makes sense, I'm sorry. It's the reason I'm going to see the lawyer. I finally want to understand what happened if possible when he signed that amendment. It's so tough with Alzheimer's and they do "act normal" before it's noticeable.

At any rate, I do hope I am not coming down with it and I hope it's just ADD and too much in my brain. I wish I had documented things, but hindsight is 20/20. I now write everything down.

Thanks for your support.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:33 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
It is often said that with normal forgetfulness you will forget something and then it will come back to you. Maybe in a minute, perhaps in a day. But it is not irretrievably lost. With Alzheimer's, once you forget, it's gone. So if you've forgotten your neighbor's name it is gone for good. It's not simple forgetfulness. The brain's synapses are slowly clogging and breaking down.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
It is often said that with normal forgetfulness you will forget something and then it will come back to you. Maybe in a minute, perhaps in a day. But it is not irretrievably lost. With Alzheimer's, once you forget, it's gone. So if you've forgotten your neighbor's name it is gone for good. It's not simple forgetfulness. The brain's synapses are slowly clogging and breaking down.
Thanks, hiknapster. That is very good to know. I don't know if this qualifies, but I saw a Dr. in SF on a regular basis for a year and a half (I could remember that and I could remember the location) but for the life of me I could not remember his name. The only way I found him was by googling on that type of Dr. in that city and getting lucky to find a very large list of Drs. Since I knew the location, I was able to start scrolling through the As, Bs, Cs and saw his name and it sounded vaguely familiar. I read he'd been in practice for 55 years and that was the right age too. The address was right. So I called and then I remembered his voice and got the right Dr. But I was all ready to call my Dr. here and ask to see my chart just to see who it was I saw up there as I know my Dr. here would have had it in my chart here. Now I don't have to.

So does this sound like Alzheimer's? I simply could not remember his name and I must have seen him 50 times.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:27 AM

Can you remember his name now?

Old 09-07-2011, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Can you remember his name now?
Well, I remember his voice and where he practices and how long I saw him but the name still seems vague, but I guess it was him I saw as he confirmed it. I called another Dr. today whose name sounded familiar too who didn't even practice near there and he was nice enough to call me back and say, no, he'd never seen me. So I don't know. I guess I was just taking jabs at anyone's name who might seem vaguely familiar but only picked this guy due to location and years in practice and the same sort of vague feeling as I had with the other Dr. and that's about it. Seems like the number was more familiar than the name though.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:27 AM

Well, you're kind of young to get it unless early-onset runs in the family and it doesn't. Your dad died last year. It could be meds you are taking, too. See a doctor, at this point, just to be safe.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:26 PM

74 posts, read 78,758 times
Oh how I agree with you. The worst incident was when my best friend died. I was staying with him and his wife over the weekend when he passed away. Since then things have mysteriously disappeared and never found even after EXHAUSTIVE searches were conducted

The first mysterious disappearance was one of two cards the police officer gave to his widow. I actually received them myself first from the officer when he knocked on the door. The widow asked me to call the facility holding his body. When I finished placing the card I thought I had laid it on the table next to the phone.

When the widow asked for the card we searched high and low inside and out and could not find it. Now before I go on, let me say these items have been missing for nearly two months and are still missing.

The next item to mysteriously disappear was a set of keys from a friend of the widow who came over to offer her condolences. She thought she knew where she placed them but they were not there so she started searching the house and yard but to no avail. Then she came again to search but could not find them. There were two other searches which again produced no results. She had to get another set of keys made.

The next incident was when I had brought a certain e-mail down to use it in a ceremony honoring the passing of my friend. I laid on the side arm of the computer desk and when I came back to get it; the paper was gone and still is missing to this very day.

Then when I went home to get an articleabout SS benefits after death of a spouse to bring the widow, I couldn't find it even though I know where I placed it under the magazine from which I removed it.

Now the widow, trying to get the ignition going which was broken on her husband's truck and couldn't she had a friend came over to fix it Nowthose keys that turn on the ignition have disappeared even though the widow remembered she had them in her hands and even thought she knew where she placed them.

Yes things do mysteriously vanish never to be found again. I don't know the cause is supernatural or not BUT THEY DO WALK OFF AND ARE NEVER FOUND AGAIN, even after years of looking.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:38 PM

139 posts, read 648,833 times
I have ADHD and OCD. I lose things all the time. I sent important WW II documents to my sister without making any copies for myself. It took me 2 months to figure out what I did. Now I must ask her to send me a copy. Doh! I lost my grandma's death certificate. Eek!

I bet you have OCD, too. OCD and ADD/ADHD travel together as sister illnesses. Where you find one you are likely to find the other since the sisters travel together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health