Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 01:33 PM

3,922 posts, read 6,835,417 times

Advertisements

Opinion: An optimist's journey toward dropping the 'D-bomb' - CNN.com

Here is a wonderful article surrounding depression. I am not somebody who thinks that drugs are the answer, however, this writer seems to have a good understanding of what depression is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 01:41 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,604,665 times
Yeah, the pill is the answer for everything nowadays. No wonder half of this countries population walks around on 10 different medications, not knowing what planet they are on. Regular exercise and proper diet, can fix most of our problems - psychological or otherwise. This is why I hate going to see the doctor, because everytime im there, im told i need to get on pill xyz or else. Big pharma likes it. BTW,I have struggled with depression in the past, but started exercising and eating right, and dropped it like a bad habit. There was no need for shrink visits and countless medications that would turn me into yet another zombie.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:51 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,427,328 times
Yes. Exercise and good diet and staying busy doing things that matter to you. 'Depression' is mostly a western disease, most people in the world do not have the time to be depressed and do not live in such an isolated society and eat such unnatural food.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:54 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
A special forum was created for the drug pushers - Mental Health.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:58 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,163,488 times
There's a difference between severe depression and the ordinary normal kind. I've known several people who have exercised, ate a healthy diet of unprocessed foods, and tried to look on the bright side of life - a few were helped, but most of them continued to have severe depression (I'm talking about the kind that runs in families, or almost immobilizes someone with misery for years on end).

A few were helped by the pills or by cognitive therapy, maybe half if I were to guess. There are no easy fixes, and sometimes it's simply an incurable disease.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:02 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,427,328 times
Sometimes there is a chemical imbalance in the brain that can be helped with medicine. However those people should be seen by a doctor and diagnosed and treated like any other illness rather than pushing brain altering drugs to anyone and everyone the way they currently are being given.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:08 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,409,867 times
I just eat a lot of fish and nuts..brain food . that's how I stay happy..oh and chocolate. this is food that has been proven to improve chemical balances...if someone wants me to find articles on it, I'd be happy to do so!

Old 04-13-2012, 03:12 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
I just eat a lot of fish and nuts..brain food . that's how I stay happy..oh and chocolate. this is food that has been proven to improve chemical balances...if someone wants me to find articles on it, I'd be happy to do so!
That must be the reason I'm so brainy!

Old 04-13-2012, 03:14 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,409,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
That must be the reason I'm so brainy!

hahaha!! yes!!!

Old 04-13-2012, 03:16 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,584,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misiu007 View Post
yeah, the pill is the answer for everything nowadays. No wonder half of this countries population walks around on 10 different medications, not knowing what planet they are on. Regular exercise and proper diet, can fix most of our problems - psychological or otherwise. This is why i hate going to see the doctor, because everytime im there, im told i need to get on pill xyz or else. Big pharma likes it. Btw,i have struggled with depression in the past, but started exercising and eating right, and dropped it like a bad habit. There was no need for shrink visits and countless medications that would turn me into yet another zombie.
+1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health