Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 05:26 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,295,464 times

Advertisements

just wondering how this area is dealt with in the usa , in my country , we once had a very high incarceration rate in mental hospitals , people were often sent to theese places for very trivial indisgressions and many of them spent thier entire lives there , then a little over a decade ago , thier was a huge backlash and the pendelum completely swung to the other side , now its impossible to have someone committed , the only time this happens is if someone if convicted of murder but are found insane , the system is completley and utterly dominated and run by liberal idealogues who fundamentally oppose the idea of stripping someone of thier freedom , looking after people in the community is the new ethos , it might sound tollerant and forward thinking but thier are several murders each year committed by people who fifteen years ago would have been in an institution , i think a middle ground is needed in dealing with matters like this , its fancifull to think a charles manson charechter can be pacified with a nice chat from some progressive liberal social worker once a week , some people are simply not all there and need to be kept in a controlled enviroment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 05:54 AM

399 posts, read 581,908 times
In the U.S (and this could differ state by state I'm not sure), you have the option of voluntarily committing yourself and you can always leave anytime you want. You sign in, you get treated, you get a place to stay, you get counceled, on and on, you sign out. However, if you are arrested for a crime and they learn that you have a mental health problem or they suspect that you do, you can be placed in a mental health institution for evaluation and it will be an involuntary stay considering that you were arrested.

If someone calls a mental health institution and makes claims that, ionno, their neighbor is acting in a certain way, then a social worker will come talk to them and find out what's going on. If the social worker suspects something as well, they may then ask if they are willing to come in for a psych evaluation. If the social worker feels that the matter is pressing, they may even get a court order if you refuse. At this point, the person has to get evaluated by law. If everything checks out, the person is likely free to go and to continue on with their lives. If, however, something is suspected, the person may need to go through a longer process.

Hope I answered...

Old 04-29-2012, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinieRN View Post
In the U.S (and this could differ state by state I'm not sure), you have the option of voluntarily committing yourself and you can always leave anytime you want. You sign in, you get treated, you get a place to stay, you get counceled, on and on, you sign out. However, if you are arrested for a crime and they learn that you have a mental health problem or they suspect that you do, you can be placed in a mental health institution for evaluation and it will be an involuntary stay considering that you were arrested. If you discovered to be a danger to yourself and others, likewise, it will be involuntary.

If someone calls a mental health institution and makes claims that, ionno, their neighbor is acting in a certain way, then a social worker will come talk to them and find out what's going on. If the social worker suspects something as well, they may then ask if they are willing to come in for a psych evaluation. If the social worker feels that the matter is pressing, they may even get a court order. At this point, the person has to get evaluated by law. If everything checks out, the person is likely free to go and to continue on with their lives. If, however, something is suspected, the person may need to go through a longer process.

Hope I answered...

over here , the authorities might go through the motions and send a social worker out to talk to the guy who was ranting about jesus being in his attic or napoleon delivering his mail but nothing will come of it , even a person is suicidal and is brought to hospital by thier family , they will at best be kept in for a day or two , im not really refering to people who are depressed or suicidal though , im talking about people who are clearly deranged and out of thier mind crazy , you could walk up to the alter in a church during service on sunday over here and start screaming about how the pastor was the the devil himself and nothing would be done , its become a real concern but as i said earlier , the system is ran by hardcore liberals

Old 04-29-2012, 06:51 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,549,582 times
I don't know the laws, but I have heard of something called "The Baker Act". I believe that at one point in US history it was far too easy to have someone commited.

I think it may be more difficult now, but I am not certain.

I do know that it does scare me to some degree. I learned of the term "Baker Act" when my sister and brother in law were talking about it in regard to my niece.

She was demonstrating some bi-polar tendencies. But it was basically being aggravated by the fact that she was in a bad relationship and her parents (who wanted to commit her) in my opinion had contributed to who personality and her outlook on life! Thank God they didn't follow through with it.

She she is a brilliant girl with a huge chip on her shoulder, but she did NOT need to be commited!

My sis and brother-in-law are the type who think if someone doesn't agree with them, they are either stupid or crazy. So, I don't value their opinion very much when they evaluate other peoples well-being.

Thanks for starting this thread. I think it's an important topic. I hope you don't take a dislike to me after my post to you on the other thread.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:57 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,380,609 times
People who are deemed a danger to themselves or others can be placed involuntarily in a mental institution for 72 hours. It is called the "Baker Act", it requires a signature of a psychiatrist. And there needs to be a competency hearing in 72 hours to determine
If placement should continue. Or is the person is going to be charged with a crime, and placed in the judicial system. I have, sadly, attended many of these hearings for elderly folks, who wereplaced in a care center, after the hearing. I hate things when they get to that point.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:05 AM

399 posts, read 581,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
over here , the authorities might go through the motions and send a social worker out to talk to the guy who was ranting about jesus being in his attic or napoleon delivering his mail but nothing will come of it , even a person is suicidal and is brought to hospital by thier family , they will at best be kept in for a day or two , im not really refering to people who are depressed or suicidal though , im talking about people who are clearly deranged and out of thier mind crazy , you could walk up to the alter in a church during service on sunday over here and start screaming about how the pastor was the the devil himself and nothing would be done , its become a real concern but as i said earlier , the system is ran by hardcore liberals
Well, how has that been working? I mean, are there a lot of stories of outbursts or people with psych issues acting out in public?

Old 04-29-2012, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
I don't know the laws, but I have heard of something called "The Baker Act". I believe that at one point in US history it was far too easy to have someone commited.

I think it may be more difficult now, but I am not certain.

I do know that it does scare me to some degree. I learned of the term "Baker Act" when my sister and brother in law were talking about it in regard to my niece.

She was demonstrating some bi-polar tendencies. But it was basically being aggravated by the fact that she was in a bad relationship and her parents (who wanted to commit her) in my opinion had contributed to who personality and her outlook on life! Thank God they didn't follow through with it.

She she is a brilliant girl with a huge chip on her shoulder, but she did NOT need to be commited!

My sis and brother-in-law are the type who think if someone doesn't agree with them, they are either stupid or crazy. So, I don't value their opinion very much when they evaluate other peoples well-being.

Thanks for starting this thread. I think it's an important topic. I hope you don't take a dislike to me after my post to you on the other thread.

take a dislike to you ? , gosh NO , honestley , i never take anything i read online to heart , i seperate the online world from the real world entirely

Old 04-29-2012, 09:03 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,549,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
take a dislike to you ? , gosh NO , honestley , i never take anything i read online to heart , i seperate the online world from the real world entirely
whew!
Actually, I don't think I hit "submit reply" on the post I was referring to.
Maybe that was for the best!

Keeping things seperate...probably a smart thing to do! I try to do that. I don't always succeed.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:25 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,402,923 times
Do you think that the fact that many institutions have closed could also have been a bad thing? Some people were probably wrongly committed, but I bet there are far more metally ill people who *should* be committed sleeping out on the streets and suffering more from that, plus drug or alcohol abuse.

In the UK, I know that you can be detained (sectioned) for up to 28 days under the Mental Health Act. It actually happened to me back in 2002, I spent 5 days in a psychiatric ward among people who were either schizophrenic, very bipolar or recovering alcoholics. It all depends on how much of a danger you are to yourself, or others.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
Do you think that the fact that many institutions have closed could also have been a bad thing? Some people were probably wrongly committed, but I bet there are far more metally ill people who *should* be committed sleeping out on the streets and suffering more from that, plus drug or alcohol abuse.

In the UK, I know that you can be detained (sectioned) for up to 28 days under the Mental Health Act. It actually happened to me back in 2002, I spent 5 days in a psychiatric ward among people who were either schizophrenic, very bipolar or recovering alcoholics. It all depends on how much of a danger you are to yourself, or others.
excellent point , ive heard it said that when reagan took office in 1981 , thier was a radical shakeup in the area of psychiatric institutions , baschically the patients were dumped out on the streets , the conservatives were happy about it because it was a money saver and the liberals were happy because keeping people locked up is mean , anyways , the bottom line is that releasing people out of hospitals always coincides with an increase in both homeless numbers and prison numbers , a huge number of prisoners in jail are seriously mentally ill , same with those who are homeless , some people simply cannot cope in the real world and need to be kept in a controlled enviroment , in my own country the ivory tower liberals who make policy have a utopian view of the mentally ill , they believe that everyone and anyone can live a normal life with enough therapy etc , they prioritise the mentally ill over the broader community and its caused a lot of problems
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health