Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2012, 09:48 AM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times

Advertisements

About two years ago I was having back problems. I have had chronic back problems since an injury in the early 90's. Usually I can take care of it through stretching and OTC pain killers and rest. When I get spasms then I need prescriptions and muscle relaxers.

For some reason, my Dr prescribed a different pain killer than I had ever had before (I cannot remember the name of it). Well, I had a bad reaction to it. I had a hard time breathing and my heart was racing (probably from fear). I called 911 but after the Firemen reassured me I was not having a heart attack I went to the emergency room and they also assured me there is nothing wrong with my heart.

Well, since then every once in a while I will get this chest pain and almost feel like I'm going to panic because of it. Like a profound fear of dying, when before I didn't even think about it. I am a very laid back person, not a worrier at all. I have to calm myself down and remember that I am not having a heart problem, it's just nerves. I've been to the Dr and had the EKG ect-no problems at all.

I guess I had no idea I would be such a coward when it comes to a minor health problem. I cannot imagine how my Mom and Dad lived through old age with seemingly no worries-they sure didn't share them with me for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 06:40 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,309,732 times
It sounds like panic disorder without agoraphobia, given the array of symptoms you describe. Riding the reactions like riding a wave is your best treatment / intervention. It should be done with a clinician, and paired with relaxation imagery, so you have something to fixate on while you are working through your anxiety. One of the worst things about this difficulty is that anticipation of having the 'attack' helps trigger it. And then it is focusing on the aura of the antecedents which come with it. It can become paralyzing but it can be helped. A good clinician can address this in 4-5 sessions; this is qualified on the basis of what you have shared, and without knowing any other background/demographic information.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:48 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,167,098 times
Most likely you are having panic attacks. I have had some in the past and it really feels like you are dying. Learning some relaxation exercises to calm yourself down while having one works wonders. I know it is hard, but when you feel one start try to remember that it is a panic attack and you really are not dying.

Old 05-26-2012, 03:33 PM

1,289 posts, read 3,036,226 times
panic attacks.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:48 AM

1,265 posts, read 3,462,535 times
I am happy to see that no one has suggested that you immediately rush to a psychiatrist for medication. Medication can been effective in the treatment of anxiety, but the kind you are experiencing could certainly be responsive to treatment from a licensed therapist. A therapist can help you decide whether or not medication may be helpful, and can refer you to a psychiatrist, if need be.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:48 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,146,766 times
Panic attacks are scary because they cause a host of physical afflictions that feel like something is wrong. First off you are smart for getting checked out. So you can relax that you do not have a physical issue. I think what is sparking the panic is that you were terrified when you had the reaction to those meds. So now when you feel something out of the ordinary you start to panic that something is wrong. Completely understandable. My husband had a severe reaction to some sort of food a few years ago. It almost killed him. He is the type of guy that will eat anything and never had a problem. The doctors couldnt figure it out but said it was a food allergy and sent us on our way.

For months, my husband would eat something and feel a little off and then go into a panic that he was having a reaction. It was in his mind because of that incident he had. I felt so bad for him because he is not that type of person to freak out over stuff. That incident changed him and it took some time for him to relax. We still to this day have no idea what cause his reaction but we avoid the foods he ate that night. Give yourself time to get over that trauma. No, I don't think you have a mental problem, I think you had a very scary thing happen to you and give yourself time to get through it.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:51 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,309,732 times
Without any other distress, precipitants, or comorbidity, here's something you can take to the bank:

Easy solution (check with a professional first that this is not contraindicated to who you already are): a paper bag, a recording of three of your favorite songs, and a quiet place to sit. When you feel one coming on, dismiss yourself into the quiet place. Begin breathing into a paper bag and envision calming scenes. Start playing the recordings. A typical panic attack lasts about 10 minutes, or the length of time it takes to listen to three songs. Breathing into a paper bag allows your mind to slow down, and chemically alters your level of arousal. When you are done with your break, return back to formerly engaged activities UNLESS they in themselves are triggers.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:58 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,796,829 times
coming from someone-me-who suffers from severe anxiety attacks, I agree with all the responses you've received. Just want to add----it's really important to remember and write down the name of any medication you have a bad reaction to. Don't want that happening again!!

Old 05-31-2012, 08:58 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,666,425 times
Panic attacks are caused by anxiety, conquer anxiety and you can prevent panic attacks.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:02 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,548,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
About two years ago I was having back problems. I have had chronic back problems since an injury in the early 90's. Usually I can take care of it through stretching and OTC pain killers and rest. When I get spasms then I need prescriptions and muscle relaxers.

For some reason, my Dr prescribed a different pain killer than I had ever had before (I cannot remember the name of it). Well, I had a bad reaction to it. I had a hard time breathing and my heart was racing (probably from fear). I called 911 but after the Firemen reassured me I was not having a heart attack I went to the emergency room and they also assured me there is nothing wrong with my heart.

Well, since then every once in a while I will get this chest pain and almost feel like I'm going to panic because of it. Like a profound fear of dying, when before I didn't even think about it. I am a very laid back person, not a worrier at all. I have to calm myself down and remember that I am not having a heart problem, it's just nerves. I've been to the Dr and had the EKG ect-no problems at all.

I guess I had no idea I would be such a coward when it comes to a minor health problem. I cannot imagine how my Mom and Dad lived through old age with seemingly no worries-they sure didn't share them with me for sure.

You might be having panic attacks or anxiety attacks. It's not as uncommon as you might think.

I would think that if this started happening when you started taking a new medication that your doctor would at least consider taking you off that medication and putting you on something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health