Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 03:52 PM

7,683 posts, read 5,543,529 times

Advertisements

D220, I don't know if transportation would be an issue for you but have you thought of taking babysitting jobs to earn some money until you are able to find a permanent job? It might give you some confidence in yourself.

By the way, you might find this thread of interest:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/non-r...l#post27968151
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 04:32 PM

7,683 posts, read 5,543,529 times
I forgot to mention that I know a poster in another online community who runs a successful dog walking business. She also looks after cats who stay in their owners' homes when the owners go on vacation.

As a loner, having your own business where you can work alone might be more appealing than getting a job working for others.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:57 PM

22 posts, read 47,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
D220, I don't know if transportation would be an issue for you but have you thought of taking babysitting jobs to earn some money until you are able to find a permanent job? It might give you some confidence in yourself.

By the way, you might find this thread of interest:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/non-r...l#post27968151
Nah, the children here already give me a headache I don't want to be around any more. Well, good news Walmart called me for an interview tomorrow at 1. I'm anxious and scared I'm going to mess this one up too. This is freaking me out constantly. ugh..

Haha, thanks for the link. I can relate to everything being said. Lots of interesting books posted might read em later.

Last edited by D220; 01-28-2013 at 05:33 PM..

Old 01-28-2013, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I forgot to mention that I know a poster in another online community who runs a successful dog walking business. She also looks after cats who stay in their owners' homes when the owners go on vacation.

As a loner, having your own business where you can work alone might be more appealing than getting a job working for others.
Hmm, that sounds cool. How did she get started?
Having my own business would be a nice dream but I don't have the personality for it..too unmotivated and not all that smart.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:57 PM

400 posts, read 1,920,175 times
I have a bunch of acquaintances but no real "true" friends who I go to for support or socialize with on a regular basis. I have always been an extroverted loner, if that makese sense. While I love socializing and interacting with people, I also love being alone doing my own thing. Probably why I'm still single too. For a long time I thought it was due to depression until I realized that nope, it's just my personality-style, being a loner-type.

But your malaise could also be your dissatisfaction with your life and an indication to you that you need to make some serious changes whether that has to do with your job or school or whatever. Join some new social groups and see if that helps.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:17 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,181,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D220 View Post
Depression? I think I might have don't really know for sure. I do know I have some sort of mild anxiety which kept me inside most of the time even with that I don't feel lonely, not anymore anyway, the internet and TV kept me entertained all these years. And I probably should go to college, don't know how to start actually. And getting a job, eh most of the places I qualify for is retail and fast food but don't have the confidence to deal with customers.

And dating? Nope. Not for me. I don't think I can handle it. No guy ever shown interests in me so I figured why brother?
I don't like children so no family for me in the future. And retirement? I don't want to live that long anyway I was hoping to die before age 50 or so.

I'll just keep working on getting any sort of min wage job and possibly CC.
Your lack of confidence, mild anxiety, lack of motivation to improve your education, thoughts that you "can't handle" dating, and hope to die before age 50 lead me to think that perhaps you ARE depressed. Depression doesn't necessarily mean sadness. It can manifest itself in other ways, like apathy toward some of the things you mentioned.

Depression and anxiety often go hand-in-hand. I suggest you talk to a medical professional about your feelings and see what they have to say. Good luck!

Old 01-30-2013, 02:09 PM

27,635 posts, read 28,738,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D220 View Post
I have no idea what I want out of life..everything seems so dull. So I'm clueless on that part. Right now, living somewhere with no one around for the rest of my life would make me happy. The only thing that satisfy me is the web.
It does sound like you're depressed. There's nothing at all wrong with wanting to be alone. But you should have a positive outlook and goals in life. Being depressed is not normal or healthy.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:27 PM

262 posts, read 652,094 times
Yes. Make friends. Humans need to be social. It is in our nature, even if we feel like we are better off without anyone. You will feel a lot better and more secure with yourself if you have someone that treats you well and that you can talk to.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:44 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,815,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beilua Rose View Post
Yes. Make friends. Humans need to be social. It is in our nature, even if we feel like we are better off without anyone. You will feel a lot better and more secure with yourself if you have someone that treats you well and that you can talk to.
I agree, I think even the most introverted people need someone that they know has got their back.
otherwise how would we survive?
however this depends on family because sometimes family is the only friend someone needs.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:43 PM

I'm kinda scared talking to a health professional cuz I do not have any money for that and don't want to burden anyone. I can try though. As for making friends/dating, didn't do it when I was younger not going to try now. I accept that about myself.

As for now I'll focus on getting drugged up to calm myself before/in an interview if not I'll try alcohol.
College? Having goals? Nah, I gave up on that a loong time ago.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions you guys are awesome as usual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health