Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 04:27 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,591,728 times

Advertisements

Hello, I've been under a lot of stress as of late. I recently left my home town of 20 years Atlanta, and moved to Seattle. I don't have any family locally, and much of my family is very busy with their own lives. I may talk to a family member once every few months. I think since moving to Seattle I've been under a lot of stress.

1. My job is very stressful. The company I work with, I'm on a team that is very crucial to the overall function of the company. While the job is very interesting, educational, and teaches me a lot of new stuff. It is also very stressful. While I my non-oncall days are pretty decent, my on-call days have me working to resolve issues 24x7. It's hard to sleep since missed calls are grounds for termination. I've missed calls twice due to being exhausted. So in general I prepare and schedule my on-call work 2 weeks in advance to make sure I don't get hit by last minute surprises. Though I have to react to issues which you can't really plan for. The job pays really good money, and the skills I pick up are great, but I go into stress overload during deadline periods and on-call. Between project dealines, and on-call work, there is never a calm moment at this job. The only saving grace is that it's not a hostile work environment.

2. Love life. I recently broke up with a woman who I had very strong feelings for. While it's not as big of a deal as the job, it actually has taken a toll of me mentally. If it was the only thing I had to deal with, it would be fine. But dealing with someone you really loved walking away and a stressful job has been shown to be too much.

3. No support system, no family, no friends. Being in this city has proven to me, I'm truely out there for myself. While I do have family I can call and talk to, in general I'm alone. I've been away from my base city man of times, but in the past it was only for a few months. This is actually the longest I've been away from my base city (8 months) and it could possibly extend to years. It's pretty stressful sometimes not really having anyone you can talk to. I took it for granted, but I've realize that it's really good for your mind to just chat it up with friends. But due to most of my friends being on the East Coast, my crazy work schedule, and me being on the West Coast, I can never really chat with my friends often.

I have come to realize that I'm having to manage a lot of stress and things at the same time. How does one manage this level of stress and not be absorbs by it? Any tips or suggestions? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 04:36 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,132,993 times
Does your company have an EAP (Employee Assistance Program)? If you aren't familiar with what the program is, here is a description from Wiki: Employee assistance program - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia The programs are usually pretty good because they have heard it all before because what you are feeling is not out of the norm for your situation. Wish I had more to offer but definitely find someone who can help you sort this out.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:52 PM

No I'm a contract worker, and my firm doesn't have those type of programs. They basically just give you a salary and maybe a few crappy benefits, and that's it. The client I work with doesn't offer that, so if I was ever converted permantly, I couldn't use that.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:07 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,225,484 times
First..Put this thread in the Seattle forum....There are likely others that are new to Seattle there also.

Here's another possibility...Find some others in the same life transition as you....relocated and lonely..A blog that may have some links for newbies
10 Things You Should Know Before Moving to Seattle - Rain City Guide
A new residents guide to sights and activities etc. Moving to Seattle to enjoy skiing, snowboarding, and winter recreation
Just a segment of the info in the above ink;Seattle InfoGuide Site Map
An older but still very helpful ideas & tips blog Relocating Happily:How to Relocate Happily When You're Single - WSJ.com

Second, call your family more often. Choose one or two of your family members to call each week. You don't necessarily have to tell them why, just start reconnecting to your loved ones. It is amazing how helpful it can be to just hear the voices of our loved ones and friends. It helps put things into perspective just lending them an ear at times. It takes our minds off of our own selves.

On your off days...go for some excursions.
I hear that there are some beautiful Islands near there that you reach by boat or ferry. Do the tourist thing. Here are a few threads w/ list of Seattle activities:
Things to do in Seattle: Check out 181 Seattle Attractions - TripAdvisor
Seattle Attractions: Directory of Seattle Activities, Attractions and Things to Do in Seattle
Great Website!! Outdoor Activities | Seattle Attractions

Or Volunteer. Seattle is #5 for volunteering among American cities.
Volunteer Seattle | Seattle Volunteer Opportunities | One Brick
Seattle Parks & Recreation: Seattle Parks Volunteers
Seattle Volunteer Opportunities

Lastly...Help for you regarding your break up. ♥ ♥ Break Up Support Forums, Message boards and Community to Help you STOP Your Break Up or Recover From Breaking Up
Break Up and Divorce Support - Home - Breakup Support
Bit corny...and light hearted Free relationship and breakup advice. Flip This Breakup - Breaking up to Breakup, Let's Go!
♥ ♥ Breaking up - Help Dealing With Your Break up and Surviving a Broken Heart

Get lots of rest. Don't drink alcohol, it is a depressant, eat good foods, don't overload on sugars and junk food. Do some form of exercise daily. When you are sitting there stressed, either watch some funny videos, tune into netflix and watch Terry Fader comedy ventriloquist...or some online humor. Laughter really is good for you. Get out for a walk, find a good local coffee shop...go out an soak up some humanity. Be healthy, and I hope you start to feel better soon. It could be worse, you could be going through all this and be unemployed or under paid.
There is also counseling if you feel overwhelmed and the activities aren't working. Reaching out for help is a sign of strength. I hope that you will be happier as you get acclimated and find friends thru like minded activities. Good luck to you.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
snip

Very good post. That's pretty amazing stuff you have there.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:53 PM

516 posts, read 1,617,268 times
And, Seattle has a totally different look, feel and culture to Atlanta. You gotta get yourself back down to Georgia Bulldawg country!

Old 02-02-2013, 08:55 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
u posted some good thoughts i think u are already close to awakening them u must join. u must not isolate.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:15 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,450,730 times
If you have time to join a gym and force yourself to workout...that is the best.

Nature walks.

Walking/jogging/biking.

Stretching and breathing exercises.

Guided meditation CD's on relaxation.

Enough Sleep.

Good diet and supplements.

Pamper yourself.

Candles with relaxing music (and a glass of wine) after a long bath or shower.

These are my favorites!

Old 02-02-2013, 10:54 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,373,081 times
Seattle is a great place to make friends. Just hang out at the same coffee shop on a certain day at the same time, and I agree to going to the gym. It is tough to be in a new place with out your old friends. I miss that sometimes. But I focus on my job, and making my life more positive.

Plan a vacation home in a few months, that will cheer you up to have something to look forward to...and when you get back, it may not be as fun as you remember...

Old 02-02-2013, 11:12 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,929,816 times
Rescue Remedy
EFT
Massage
Prayer
Adequate sleep
Healthy, organic diet
Exercise
Fun
Positive hobbies and daily habits
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health