Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 12:20 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,941,304 times

Advertisements

So, yesterday I was down at the local brain injury support group (whole other long story). It was a pretty typical meeting with us all forgetting each other's names and congratulating each other on managing to show up at the right place and time. Usual, "duh, I'm brain injured" humor and consolations.

Then the group leader (un-brain injured) turned the conversation to coping mechanisms. Right away a man named "Rex" spoke up about how he goes down to the local gun range and shoots off 200 -300 rounds of ammo when he needs to chill out. Except that now he can't because for some stupid reason the local NRA hasn't renewed his membership.

Then he went on to describe how much he hated his sister with rage dripping from his every word and gesture. How she dissed him and thought she knew it all and blah, blah, blah. When someone suggested he might seek therapy to help him deal with his anger, he became even more hostile if that was possible. He thinks people who see therapists are pathetic, stupid losers, and HE"D certainly never do that!

All the whole time his mom was sitting next to him, smiling proudly as if all this stuff was completely OK. Unbelievable - especially given the current Newtown shooting thing and everything else.

Even spookier for me is that I don't need the national news to get worried over this situation. About three years ago my next door neighbor allowed her brain injured son to move in with her. They fought all the time and I could hear them through the thin walls in our adjourning apartments. She finally ordered him to find a new place to live and guess what?

He went into a complete rage and shot his Mom in the back just 6 feet away on the other side of the wall from where I am now sitting typing. I heard the shot, but it was the 4th of July, and I thought someone had just set off a loud firecracker. No thanks to me, my neighbor survived because when her son shot her a second time, the gun misfired. She managed to crawl to the phone and call 911, and in our small town the cops got there pretty fast. This guy shot HIS OWN MOM!

I'm not making any of this up. I can probably find the link to the story in our local paper if anyone is interested.

What would you do if you were me? Am I over-reacting? Should I say something to anyone? It's hard for me to just shrug "Rex" off given what another angry man with a brain injury did just right next door.

PS Not sure of right forum to post this in, but hope mods will move it to a better spot if needed - thanks!

Last edited by Colorado Rambler; 01-30-2013 at 12:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 12:41 PM

36,427 posts, read 16,036,192 times
So you have to be a member of the NRA to go to a shooting range?

His behavior isn't great and I'm assuming he has guns in his house? Does he live with his Mom? What did the facilitator of the group think?

Well yes I would be freaked out.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:50 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,483,893 times
Normally a police department wants to know what is possible for their area. I have no problem with going down and talking to a community policing officer or someone from that department. Or a counselor for the Dept. of Mental Health. Whatever your area has. I would also talk to the group leader. All of this is to 1) get better info from others on the situation and 2) ensure as many people know as possible.

To many times it is said that "no one knew" or "he never said anything".

I am not going to say that anyone can do anything, but get more info from those "in the know" if for no other reason than to somewhat ease your mind.

I would be as concerned as you are. He sounds just like the man who killed his sister, burned down a bunch of houses and fired on the firefighters killing two just recently. It does not take much for rage to spill over.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:50 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,207,787 times
This man should not have access to firearms, period.

Which is easy to say, as I'm not sure exactly who you could go to with this. Really, I'm just here to validate your concern because that would scare the pants off me.

Maybe you could look into the law and what it requires regarding mental health checks, and go from there. You could also talk to your local police or state police--they all have non-emergency numbers. In your shoes, I might actually go over to the local precinct/district house and talk to someone in person. This way they get to know your face and the situation becomes real to them.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
So you have to be a member of the NRA to go to a shooting range?
Beats me, but that's what he claimed.

Quote:
His behavior isn't great and I'm assuming he has guns in his house? Does he live with his Mom? What did the facilitator of the group think?
Yes, he apparently keeps the guns and ammo in his house and he lives with his Mom just like the Newtown shooter did. I spoke with the group facilatator after I wrote my OP. He agreed with my concern, but was hesitant to break client confidentiality? Maybe a person would have to make a direct threat against someone? I know the cops can't do much about "mere" threats, but surely someone in the mental health system should be made aware of this issue.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
Normally a police department wants to know what is possible for their area. I have no problem with going down and talking to a community policing officer or someone from that department. Or a counselor for the Dept. of Mental Health. Whatever your area has. I would also talk to the group leader. All of this is to 1) get better info from others on the situation and 2) ensure as many people know as possible.

To many times it is said that "no one knew" or "he never said anything".

I am not going to say that anyone can do anything, but get more info from those "in the know" if for no other reason than to somewhat ease your mind.

I would be as concerned as you are. He sounds just like the man who killed his sister, burned down a bunch of houses and fired on the firefighters killing two just recently. It does not take much for rage to spill over.
Yes, thank you - that's a good suggestion. I'm not bound by the same client confidentiality clause as the group facilatator. Normally, I would never dream of breaking the anonmity of a support group member, but what occurred yesterday is very troubling.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:16 PM

20,398 posts, read 14,678,474 times
Having grown up in therapy situations, I was always under the impression that mandatory reporting trumps client confidentiality but maybe it's got to be a specific and direct threat. Like if a kid in therapy is a danger to themselves or others. Or so I thought. Is this not universally the case, or is it just with kids?

Anyways, you are not bound by this, so I'd definitely make an anonymous call to the local police and give them a head's up about the guy.

Also, gun ranges are generally privately owned, so the owner can have whatever rules they want. If that means it's an NRA club type facility for members only, then that's what it is...for that specific range at least.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:20 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,112,026 times
I think you should at least inquire into this. What if something were to happen? You would probably kick yourself everyday for the rest of your life that you didn't speak up. It's really a slippery slope. I could point to people right now I know that I think are off kilter. At what point do you speak up? There are a lot of people out there with severe mental illnesses who would never hurt anyone, but you just never know. I'm not sure if there's anything they'll be able to do unless this guy has actually threatened someone or been violent, but it's worth a shot and at least you'll know you put him on the radar and you didn't just standy idly by when you have such serious concerns.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:52 PM

385 posts, read 615,471 times
Some firing ranges require NRA membership, a few don't or they will offer discounts to members. The NRA doesn't just dump members either - they want those dues payments.

A more likely scenario is that the guy did something to get himself ejected from the range. I would definitely inform the authorities of your concerns.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:51 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,846,929 times
You are not bound by any rules and you should call the local police non-emergency number (not 911). They do want to know about people like this. His mom may be terrified and can't speak in front of him.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 01-30-2013 at 06:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health