Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2013, 05:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,132 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm constantly thinking about getting in a car accident thinking someone is gonna crash into me or how I'll never have a boyfriend or ever getting married. I also think about stupid kids breaking windows on my car or just getting fired from my job. I can't stand these stupid constant thoughts running through my mind. I can't take this life anymore. I also have social anxiety . I don't have any health insurance and I know I wouldn't want to take any medications. So how can I get over this anxiety and depression. Would the only way be seeing a therapist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 08:48 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,293,496 times
Being "rigid" is not good. (I can't do this. I will not do that. Etc.)

Being "flexible" will allow you to bend and "flow" through life's difficulties MUCH easier. (Maybe I could do this. Well perhaps I could try that. Etc.)

With that said, you CAN (in many areas) find low or no cost counseling at your county health department (offices of the county you live in typically under government listings in phone book).

And some medications CAN help a person start heading in the right direction, then can be stopped later. So if a counselor recommends that, it might be a good idea to at least consider it.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:19 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,989,403 times
Everyone is different in what helps them. The herb passion flower is inexpensive and can help anxiety for some. Kratom can help social anxiety and depression but one can build a tolerance to it depending on usage. That greatly depends on the person. Google and you will find a couple kratom forums, they list vendors there and you can ask them for a sample. You will find others there that use it for social anxiety. St.John's Wort helps some people, but not others. There are other herbs that can help anxiety, but its much like with meds, trial and error. The kratom connoisseurs forum does talk about other herbs as well. You might find that helpful in researching other alternatives.

Therapy, google and see if there are any sliding scale clinics around your area, free clinics are few and far between in some places at least. See what you can find and call them. Keep in mind, they are most all just book trained and haven't a clue how it feels to experience an anxiety attack or severe depression. They will not provide any quick fixes. They may suggest some therapy tools you can find online, such as cognitive behavior modification. They may also suggest meds too. If they do refer ya to a doc for that. You would want to read up on the meds before deciding on taking it, don't leave it all to the doc. He has no idea if it will help and he won't suffer the potential side effects either. The more ya know the better.

Meditation and yoga might be something else you could try to help you relax. If you have a Buddhist Temple around, contact them, as they may have beginners classes, which maybe helpful for ya. I wish you well. take care.

Passion Flower 360 mg capsules (bottle of 100)

Do I want to freak out trying to get to the store, no. But I can't help being "rigid" versus "flexible". Its not so easy to just be that way when you have mental health stuff that makes you that way, especially with no support system. Thats why I've been trying to get out since Friday, but didn't make it until today.

Last edited by todd00; 06-17-2013 at 10:29 PM..

Old 06-17-2013, 10:52 PM

374 posts, read 510,004 times
Maybe a club or church if your spiritual? Listen to possitive music. if your on anti depressants they can cause these feelings too.Talk to your doctor.Good luck.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:44 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,788,602 times
You have to convince yourself that these thoughts you are having are just that, thoughts. They aren't facts and they aren't based on truth, they are based on your own biased fears. Notice how you never worry that something good is going to happen to you, it's always something bad. Your odds of something good happening to you are just as likely as something bad happening. The truth is, bad things will happen in life, and good things will happen too. You have to learn how to accept that there will always be bad things that happen to us, but you also have to find a way to cope with these things as they happen.

What if a kid does break a window on your car? How will you deal with it? If you lose your job, will you look for another one or will you just give up? Ask yourself how you would like to cope with something bad when it happens. But don't sit around worrying about something bad happening at any random moment. Think back to all the time you have spent worrying about these things, where did it get you? Would you have rather done something more positive or productive with that time?

If you can't afford therapy, perhaps try going to the library and check out some self-help books for free. Maybe you'll find something that helps guide you through these feelings of anxiety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health