Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 11:55 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,449,461 times

Advertisements

For starters, I'm posting this at 2 a.m.

This is an ongoing problem for me in that I am not tired at night and see no reason to turn off the lights. I feel like the entire world has shut down except for me. I am usually awake half the night. I cannot fall asleep. Sometimes it gets so bad that I take a pill.

But whether I take a pill or not, I never really fall asleep until sometime in the morning and then I am out like the dead. When I finally come to it is around 10 or 11 in the morning and I feel like I'm crawling out of a thick fog. I can't function. I don't want to talk to anyone, and it takes me several hours and a pot of coffee to return to 'normal.'

And then the cycle starts all over again.

Does anyone else have miserable sleeping habits?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 01:53 AM

1,813 posts, read 2,846,985 times
I am never tired at night. When it's dark is when I'm at my best. I stay up all night every night. I go to sleep in the late morning and get up in the evening. It is totally backwards. When I have to do things in the daytime I just don't sleep at all. Of course everyone thinks this is the funniest thing in the world, and I'm so tired (haha) of hearing about it. I found something called delayed sleep phase syndrome on Wikipedia if you're interested.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:44 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,699,583 times
Sounds like an irregular sleep schedule. Up at odd hours, requiring a pill to go bed, then to wake up feeling like crap because of a.) the after effect of the pill or b.) not enough sleep

Next time you are tired and go to bed, try to go to bed at that same time for a week and see what happens.

I screwed myself over tonight because i took a nap I shouldn't have and now im up at odd hours to wake up later today feeling like someone punched my body all over and go to work, to come home and take a nap. endless cycle

Old 05-17-2009, 08:19 AM

w1ngzer -- I'm not really much of a pill person. I take a small nibble off a pill so it doesn't do much. i'm going to try to go to bed earlier. I'm getting tired of this. W.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:55 AM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,142,567 times
Are you doing enough physical activity?

Dig up the garden, put down mulch...that tires my body out. & then I'm ready to fall asleep.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gue View Post
Are you doing enough physical activity?

Dig up the garden, put down mulch...that tires my body out. & then I'm ready to fall asleep.
Yes, it is nothing for me to walk for several hours. If I don't walk, run, lift weights, or do sit-ups and push-ups, I feel worse.

Frankly, I'm beginning to think I drink to much green tea in the evening. Trader Joes has some amazing Jasmine green tea that I'm really into.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:03 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times
hmm have you tried ambien CR?
I someties have trouble falling asleep but my doctor gave my a 3 months supply and besides the after taste they knock me out the down side though is don't plan on going anywhere after you take them because you feel almost drunk

Old 05-17-2009, 12:07 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,931,766 times
Woof! Sorry you are having this problem. Yes, exercize should help, but only drink decaf anything before noon. And don't drink alcoholic beverages too late in the evening. You might sleep some, but it's not productive, and I find I wake up when the effect wears off.
I had the same problem for decades and when I got rid of the stress in my life (well, most of it!!) I started sleeping like a log.
Other suggestions mentioned here are important too. Go to bed at the same time every night, exersize, etc. And I would suggest not worrying about it. Sounds strange, huh? The thing is, worrying about it will only make it worse.
When you are tired, you will sleep. I think the reason you feel dopey in the morning is that your REM sleep periods are being upset because of the different sleep times. If you can get on a regular schedule, that might correct itself.
Oh, one other thing. Sleep apnia will mess a person up big time. If you have any indication that is possible, you can get tested.
Good luck... I'll be thinking good thoughts for you!

Old 05-17-2009, 12:10 PM

23,867 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
For starters, I'm posting this at 2 a.m.

This is an ongoing problem for me in that I am not tired at night and see no reason to turn off the lights. I feel like the entire world has shut down except for me. I am usually awake half the night. I cannot fall asleep. Sometimes it gets so bad that I take a pill.

But whether I take a pill or not, I never really fall asleep until sometime in the morning and then I am out like the dead. When I finally come to it is around 10 or 11 in the morning and I feel like I'm crawling out of a thick fog. I can't function. I don't want to talk to anyone, and it takes me several hours and a pot of coffee to return to 'normal.'

And then the cycle starts all over again.

Does anyone else have miserable sleeping habits?
How long has this been going on? You mention tea, could you fall asleep easier before you started drinking it?

My prime time to fall asleep is 7ish, I then get a 2nd wind and am up & down until 1 or 2 am - this is with sleeping pills. This is new for me, I've never had problems going to sleep 9 or 10 and getting up at 4:30 - - 5:30. Now I can sleep until 9:30 and not feel like I had any sleep.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:11 PM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,142,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Yes, it is nothing for me to walk for several hours. If I don't walk, run, lift weights, or do sit-ups and push-ups, I feel worse.

Frankly, I'm beginning to think I drink to much green tea in the evening. Trader Joes has some amazing Jasmine green tea that I'm really into.
Give it a try...no caffeine after 3PM at the latest..Lots of stuff has caffeine.

Make sure windows are dark, consider a white noise machine.

Don't use bed for anything but sleeping. No reading TV etc in bedroom.

Wishing you a good night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health