Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2013, 05:46 PM

212 posts, read 1,003,860 times

Advertisements

I've been suffering from depression for years and it's taking a toll on my confidence at my job. I've been at my current company for 8 months and simply cannot muster the courage to make decisions. I'm constantly second guessing myself and when I mess up I get very upset and anxious. I've been this way for awhile but thought I'd get better as I got settled in to the job, but I'm still full of doubt.

On top of that, I'm trying to get a new job and have been on so many interviews - none leading into a job offer. Sometimes when I'm being questioned a rush of anxiety hits me and I get dry mouth, leaving me a stuttering and shaking mess. Does anyone else go through this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 03:42 PM

67 posts, read 169,103 times
Hi, it sounds like you have quite a bit of anxiety that accompanies your depression. It's not really all that surprising though, that you would feel like you're constantly second guessing yourself, or experience a rush of anxiety during job interviews. I'm not a mental health professional, but in my opinion, you need some POSITIVE experiences to make up for all of the crap and hardship you've had to go through during the last 8 months. You feel full of doubt in your current job, and that feeling of inadequacy probably comes out during the interviews. Every time you get rejected for yet another job, it reinforces your feelings of inadequacy.

Think back at the last time you felt competent, confident, and good about yourself. What were you doing? What did you wear? To whom did you talk? Is there some way you can re-create some of those positive past situations? Try to make yourself look as good as possible (as this will increase your confidence as well as the way others, maybe interviewers, will react to you). Try to look at it a little bit like a gamble: Apply to jobs you would not even really want, just to see how you can handle an interview without any stake involved. Besides looking good, also put on a very slight smile (just enough so that the corners of your mouth are pointed upward). Keep smiling even when no one is looking. Remind yourself that you are worthy, and that absolutely nothing can harm you.

I can understand how your self esteem must have suffered during these past few months. I also get these kinds of rushes of anxiety in similar situations very frequently.

Good luck to you.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:24 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,063,850 times
Hello:
May I ask who is managing your meds for depression? It sounds like you might need to discuss your feelings with that doctor and try another drug, which will give you more peace, more realization that its an illness, and not a personality disorder you have. These days so many people have come to the realization that medicine can and does help with mental health issues and you don't need years on the couch. I wish you the best. Been there. Not a happy place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health