Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2013, 09:51 PM

197 posts, read 449,831 times

Advertisements

Anyone else here into chanting? I meditate every day, find it incredibly peaceful/relaxing. Randomly, a couple months ago, I started to do some chants whilst meditating. Just kind of came natural. Since I started I feel more energetic/healthy in general, I have noticed increased test, and I haven't gotten sick at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 10:09 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,790,281 times
I had a roomie in college who did that twice a day. She was an American girl but had gotten into Nicheren Shoshu style meditation/chanting and had an altar. I was the only one in the dorm who was willing to room with her but I enjoyed it. She would get up extra early in the morning to complete her devotions and it was soothing to me as I woke up. She claimed that it had many benefits and it made her more disciplined, though I'd say that you'd have to be pretty disciplined in the first place to get up early and keep up with this 2x/day. I roomed with her 2 years--first in the dorm and then in a house and we generally got along well, but it did seem to me that over the 2 years she got more and more arrogant and then I saw her a couple of years later and she was even worse, and I have no idea if it was the chanting or she was just like that all along but we broke off our friendship and I haven't seen her in years.

But what I'd say to you is that if it makes you feel good and it's working for you, keep it up. I chanted sometimes with the roomie but it didn't do that much for me except make my legs fall asleep but then we're all different. I don't know if you have an altar but the roomie had a little scroll that she had up plus some little things like candles, incense, and a bell and you may find those helpful for focusing as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health