Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 06:47 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,820,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newerabuzz View Post
Anti Social Personality disorder is a generic name ascribed to Psychopaths and Sociopaths. Psychopath is not in the DSM V as a disorder- but it is considered a mental disorder.
It's the non-medical term for Antisocial Personality Disorder; it is in the DSM-V.

Quote:
It could be called an extreme form of Narcissistic Personality Disorder- beyond 'Malignant Narcissism'.
They are separate personality disorders, although they may have overlapping traits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 01:54 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
It's heartbreaking for those who truly care about the person, that would probably have to be family. I have a NPD stepdaughter - the Narcissistic Rage description fits her to a T. It would be difficult for someone to truly love when (1) they seem bent on self-destruction, leading one to believe they don't love themselves (2) they will love what someone can do for them or provide for them but will abandon the relationship if the provisions stop. I was reading about FTD (I have a friend with that) and it's interesting, the early symptoms are loss of empathy for others and being self centered or at least self-absorbed (is that the same thing?). That describes the sd. Frustrating at best. If she would admit and get help.

Also she is with a guy who isn't the best person for her (drug use, physical abuse) but she says he loves her. Cannot tell her anything. She is the epitome of the inner child model. 12yrs old emotionally. Very sad. Too old to force her into counseling.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:12 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,244,230 times
Of course they are!

I think there's all different types of BPD, and the diagnosis itself has a bad rap.

People tend to lump all bad behavior under this label.

BPD has NOTHING to do with being a B*tch. I am about the least biatchy person i know, and I've had a BPD diagnosis once, then had it removed, then a third psych said "tendencies" so whatever. its a label.

IIRC they're changing the language from BPD which has major negative connotations, to a far more accurate name > EDD Emotional Dysregulation Disorder.

Because that's what BPD IS. I've had it all my life and i'm the only one who knew about it because I'm the only one i hurt.

I've finally got the diagnosis and my BFF who is in the medical field isn't happy with saying I have BPD, but agrees i have EDD.

So.

All crazy behavior is not due to BPD. Sometimes, that person is narcissitic too, and narcissism is where you get your real nasty crazy people, that and sociopathy. Those people ARE toxic. That's when you get your real problems.

BPD's mainly hurt themselves. Its like living in an emotional washing machine.

Essentially, a lot of women in prison have BPD...but they also have coexistent issues like drug abuse, sexual abuse, domestic abuse, on and on.

BPD=the lack of being able to COPE with intense emotion, or regulate it.

It doesn't mean not being capable of the emotion in the first place.

And BPD's can get better, or they call it "recovery". The treatment i am getting now is the best available in the country and I've been told it will take 300 days, give or take, before the penny drops and i begin to see how it all fits together.

Old 10-13-2015, 01:25 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,725,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I lost somebody to suicide a while ago and he seemed to suffer from borderline personality disorder.
Now looking back, I don't think in the long run, he would be capable of sustaining functioning romantic relationship or interpersonal relationships with anybody. He had intense anger he couldn't control, and he always had this thing called "racing thoughts" whatever that means.

Well, I've been reading an online article, it says, "the fact is people with BPD have a hard time with intimacy. Without intimacy, you just have two people going through the motions. The fact is, a person in the throes of Borderline Personality Disorder is incapable of adult emotional intimacy, because the very nature of the disorder decrees that they have not matured enough emotionally to the degree that is required to have emotionally healthy adult intimacy. They are caught in a cycle of emotional Push/Pull, or “love-hate.”"

My question is, do you think borderline personality disorder suffers can truly love somebody? Or they are just in love with the idea of being loved due to their severe abandonment, stress, anger issues.

Thanks

NO. They can feel love, but, not a true love as they are only feeling love if there needs are being met. They will never have an unselfish love, but, a child like love of needing to be nurtured with no understanding or concern of nurture towards the other person.

Old 10-20-2015, 12:39 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectprisons View Post
I will break this down:

They love very deeply in the beginning, they feel that they cannot live without you and that you are the greatest thing in the world. They see you as a vehicle or a source that they can use to fill the emptiness within them. What I find is that they seek people they can control. They get heavily involved in your life, which appears to be genuine love.

Unfortunately, love is a trigger.
When you get close to them, they begin to find faults in you that they have in themselves. As in "if I'm not at ease with all myself, how could you be?" when in reality you are happy, healthy, and comfortable with who you are.

Then, they project their negative features onto you and you become a problem to them. That's when the true abuse starts. You start trying to fix the problem and get back to how things were when you first met them, but you can't get that period back no matter how hard you try. This becomes a very painful experience.

They discard you easily because people with BPD do not relate to pain in the same way non's do. If they did, they could not persistently treat their lovers with such careless, cruel abandon. A lack of empathy (due to developmental arrest) is central to this issue.

This is the best explanation I've read on this disorder, and it is spot on.

Old 10-20-2015, 02:39 PM

275 posts, read 332,263 times
I have BPD, and I have a lot of love to give. I just haven't found the one that is willing to reciprocate.

Old 10-21-2015, 05:40 AM

1,623 posts, read 1,725,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azul91 View Post
I have BPD, and I have a lot of love to give. I just haven't found the one that is willing to reciprocate.

Think about that.......

Old 03-29-2018, 02:42 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times
Quote:
My question is, do you think borderline personality disorder suffers can truly love somebody? Or they are just in love with the idea of being loved due to their severe abandonment, stress, anger issues.

Thanks

Borderlines are far, far more in love than anyone else when they are in love. But it's a very infantile love -- their LIVES and their SOULS depend on you, completely, the way a baby depends on its mother. They don't love you as an equal -- they love you the way your 2-year-old does, basking in total happiness when you show you care and the rest of the time living in stark terror of the possibility that you'll walk away from them and then they'll die. Borderlines don't understand about getting a little of what you need from a wide variety of people, and they sure don't understand about being OK by themselves and just taking care of themselves.

Old 03-29-2018, 04:21 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Quote:
I lost somebody to suicide a while ago and he seemed to suffer from borderline personality disorder.
Now looking back, I don't think in the long run, he would be capable of sustaining functioning romantic relationship or interpersonal relationships with anybody. He had intense anger he couldn't control, and he always had this thing called "racing thoughts" whatever that means.

Well, I've been reading an online article, it says, "the fact is people with BPD have a hard time with intimacy. Without intimacy, you just have two people going through the motions. The fact is, a person in the throes of Borderline Personality Disorder is incapable of adult emotional intimacy, because the very nature of the disorder decrees that they have not matured enough emotionally to the degree that is required to have emotionally healthy adult intimacy. They are caught in a cycle of emotional Push/Pull, or “love-hate.”"

Thanks

Did you friend actually have the BPD diagnosis... You said seemed to suffer from...????

I have BPD, now in remission. Due to a childhood of physical and emotional abuse from same sex parent, my psychologist suggests it is indeed hard to maintain relationships as an adult, as the parent actions prevent the child from *trusting* and therefore loving that parent and others...

...and that same pattern can continue in adulthood without therapy and intervention.

Old 04-15-2018, 01:34 PM

378 posts, read 230,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by romanip View Post
Yes, they are capable of great love, for about 15 minutes.
And then we got back to thinking you're Satan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health