Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 06:36 PM

160 posts, read 384,829 times

Advertisements

2 months ago i was going through major depression and i tried to commit suicide one night and my mom came next door to check on me and she found me. my parents and my brother and his family we live down the road from each other. Well i went through alot of therapy and still taking a break from work.
Now i am at home and on some meds and still go to counseling. My niece who's 12 use to come over all the time to spend the night. Well when i first heard that she asked her mother if she can spend the night she told her no. Well i was hurt and i asked my brother why not? he told me because they want me to get better.
well its been like a month and a half. My niece she is allowed at my house during the day but she is not allowed to spend the night.
i dont understand it. If my niece cannot spend the night then why do they ask me to watch the my younger niece during the day when they have to go somewhere?
And my other sisters in-law they have no problem with me letting their kids spend the night at my house.
Should i take offense to it??

Old 01-06-2014, 08:30 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,928,336 times
Sure. Go ahead and take offense to it, if you are looking for reasons to be offended.

Or conclude that your relatives are looking out for the best interests of their children - most people don't like to leave their children with unstable people, especially overnight.

Hope you get the help you need to never disrespect the life you were given again.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:12 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,218,289 times
No. Take care of yourself and don't be offended. If the position were reversed you would do the same.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:15 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Be offended or not offended. But they made the right choice.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:18 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hourglass45 View Post
2 months ago i was going through major depression and i tried to commit suicide one night and my mom came next door to check on me and she found me. my parents and my brother and his family we live down the road from each other. Well i went through alot of therapy and still taking a break from work.
Now i am at home and on some meds and still go to counseling. My niece who's 12 use to come over all the time to spend the night. Well when i first heard that she asked her mother if she can spend the night she told her no. Well i was hurt and i asked my brother why not? he told me because they want me to get better.
well its been like a month and a half. My niece she is allowed at my house during the day but she is not allowed to spend the night.
i dont understand it. If my niece cannot spend the night then why do they ask me to watch the my younger niece during the day when they have to go somewhere?
And my other sisters in-law they have no problem with me letting their kids spend the night at my house.
Should i take offense to it??

I would not allow my children to stay with you even during the day until much more time has passed and you have gone through a longer period of therapy.
The trust has been broken with your actions for overnight visits.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:48 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,483,331 times
You tried to take your life at night, and I think night time can be a hard time for many people. I think it has not been that long since your suicide attempt and they do not feel comfortable leaving their daughter with you at night. if you really think about it I think you can understand. In time as you get better and go back to work and prove to them that you are ok I think that will change.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:08 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
You're right brokencrayola.....OP, it's only been two months, maybe not long enough for your brother and his wife to feel sure that you're better...You shouldn't take offense, I'd say they show great confidence in your recovery simply by letting their daughter come by during the day. You should be happy about that...for now.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:35 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,290,523 times
No don't take offense. Many people know little or nothing about mental health or psychology.

The truth is that people who go to or have gone to counseling are more mentally healthy. Those who have never gone to counseling and would never do so (and have emotional problems) are the least mentally healthy. They have no understanding of what counseling or mental health is.

Also people watch too much TV which is fantasy - think horrible things are going to happen! (Try turning it off.)

Anyway I would have no problem letting my kids stay overnight at your house. You are a person doing something about a problem - a good lesson for kids. If you have a problem, get help, go to the doctor, get counseling, etc. That is good!

Last edited by Billy_J; 01-07-2014 at 09:55 AM..

Old 01-07-2014, 03:46 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Many people know little or nothing about mental health or psychology.
I can't figure why you said that...unless you're suggesting that that's the reason they feel like they do?, and that therefor she shouldn't be upset?

Old 01-07-2014, 03:50 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
This is the right thing for them to do since your have gone down a road they want to avoid.

Besides that, just get used to your niece not wanting to spend the night (or much time) with you OR her parents as she enters the teen years. That's just how it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health