Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2014, 11:19 AM

23 posts, read 25,183 times

Advertisements

I just decided to begin therapy for myself. I have depression, OCD, and social anxiety (anhedonia). Those are things several psychiatrists and counselors have said about me. I didn’t self diagnose but in the past I have self medicated.
I am concerned that my therapy is going to become about alcohol and not about other things (I quit drinking Christmas day, 3 Christmases ago). This particular counseling center also provides Diversion classes for people arrested for drunk driving. I know that their prescribers won’t prescribe certain drugs because of their addictive potential. I am afraid this will limit the medication used to treat depression and anxiety. I am going into this under a cloud of mistrust/suspicion. Is it better to clear these up right at the beginning, or is it better to wait. Or is it better to find a counselor that I don’t mistrust before we have started.

I want to get the most out of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 12:09 PM

28 posts, read 67,338 times
Why are you going in under a cloud of mistrust/suspicion? I think you should be up front about your concerns and thoughts from the beginning. It is important for the therapist and patient to be clear about expectations of treatment and the process, as well as limitations of confidentiality, etc. If you can't have a good, trusting relationship with your therapist, it most likely is not going to be helpful. Also, I think it is good they won't prescribe medications that are known to be extremely addictive regardless of if the clients have a history of addiction or not. The medications that are extremely addictive can just cause new problems for many people, and there are SO many medications available now, why not try out the less addictive ones.

Also, I would say to give the therapist a few sessions, but if you don't feel like it is the right fit, look for a new one. It is important to find someone that you feel like can help you and that can be effective, although it is also important to give it a shot and not give up right away.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:13 PM

718 posts, read 600,704 times
It is best to find a counselor or LCSW you trust and feel comfortable with first if therapy is something you want to do. A psychiatrist is not the appropriate person as they are for prescribing of medications. I have a great disdain for them and their prescription pads and the harm they do. They also love to "label" people.

I know that their prescribers won’t prescribe certain drugs because of their addictive potential. I am afraid this will limit the medication used to treat depression and anxiety.

A/D's aren't "addictive" nor do they cause a dependance but they do require a slow taper off of them and they change your brain chemistry. It may take a few different ones to try before you feel better and most poop out after a certain time. I'm not a fan of A/D's personally and think they are way over prescribed. Benzodiazepines (anti-anxiety medications) are controlled substances and no one should be on them for more then 2-4 weeks. There are many people who have been on them longer and have a vary hard times getting off of them. Even short term users can have the same problem. They require a slow taper off that can take years and is harder then kicking heroin. If a doctor throws a prescription at you for Xanax or Klonopin, throw it out. Do a google search on the hardest prescription medication to get off of, you'll see.

Do everything in my power to treat your issues naturally through exercise, diet, mediation, yoga...whatever else you can think of holistically. You'll be thankful in the end, trust me.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:09 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,308,272 times
I'm wondering why you are focusing so much on the drugs they may or may not give you?

Other than that, just be honest with them about everything including present/past drug/alcohol use. Be honest about your self-medicating.

It is like taking a car in for repair and the car needs an oil change and the brakes fixed. If you tell them it needs an oil change, but don't mention anything about the brakes, then get the car back and the brakes are not fixed, don't complain! The mechanic is not a mind reader and neither is a mental health worker.

Old 03-21-2014, 01:24 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,428,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lck5002 View Post
Why are you going in under a cloud of mistrust/suspicion? I think you should be up front about your concerns and thoughts from the beginning.
A thousand times this.

If you distrust them, tell them. Be upfront about your concerns, your distrust and even those bits that could be classified as paranoia. Only the one you're working with will be able to allay your fears in the long run. And if you talk to them and don't like the responses you get, then find another provider that you do trust.

Being honest with them, and yourself, will alter their entire approach to and with you - for the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health