Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2015, 09:27 AM

399 posts, read 685,739 times

Advertisements

Hey all. Having a bad day here. Although I have made some friends since my depression/loneliness hit rock bottom, I do not want to go places with them. I know I am an introvert, I love my alone time and have accepted that. But even when one of them could use moral support, I get super stressed about meeting up with them. (I do see them at my weekly meeting at a support group though.)
I don't know that I am asking for advice here, but I wonder if others have this same tendency. Anyone else out there not want to hang with friends? I seem to get enough interaction with emails, texting and the group we go to. Also, my life is busy so I get stressed about having the time to do everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 07:13 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,279,468 times
I never want to. Until I do. And then they are not there for me because I cancel so much due to my depression. It's a vicious cycle.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:23 AM

399 posts, read 685,739 times
Totally agree. It was different with my sisters a few years back. I don't know why its harder for me to do stuff with friends.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:50 PM

67 posts, read 169,103 times
Hi, I hear what you're saying about getting stressed easily. I find myself dreading social events, and try to avoid too many social commitments on my schedule. Rather than enjoying going to a holiday party, for example, I stress over having to go. I have a few very close friends with whom I like to hang occasionally. I really don't think you are alone in how you feel.

However, it may be a good thing to schedule one or two social activities each week, even if they feel uncomfortable at first. This will prevent you from getting too isolated. For example, you could organize a regular coffee at Starbucks meeting with two of your friends from the weekly meetings you're attending now. Believe me, after a regular meeting becomes routine, it will not feel stressful any more, and it will help you stay connected, and less lonely. Try it, even if you have to force yourself at first. And please take my suggestion just as that...a suggestion...you ultimately decide what you want to do.

Hope your days will continually get better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health