Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 04:37 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,636,718 times

Advertisements

I am having my first experiencing dating a young lady that is diagnosed with Schizoaffective Disorder. What a terrible condition..

One of the major symptoms of the condition are forgetfulness and trouble with cognitive processes. A relatively common occurrence now is where in the middle of us hanging out and talking she will forget even who I am. She'll look at me and say "who are you". She comes back around in time however.

When she's having symptoms, she often complains of either her head or heart hurting. She commonly asks for re-assurance that she's going to be okay. She has both auditory and visual hallucinations at times. Just the other night she was crying as she was telling her dad she heard voices of people screaming for her to help them. Just last night she apparently saw some type of shape or figure by her bedroom door. I just try and re-assure her that these are just symptoms and not real and comfort her that it will all pass. She often asks why she has these symptoms and if she'll get better.

She has mood swings. She goes from happy to sad. When sad she really is down and expresses suicidal thoughts at times. I have witnessed her being concerned about the food (specifically recently chocolate chips I purchased to melt and make chocolate covered strawberries). She stated she saw something and did not want to use them... she was concerned that they were poisoned by someone that wanted to kill her. So I used another bag of chocolates to melt.

My heart really is broken for this girl. When she is healthy, she's cute as a can be. The problem is she experiences symptoms just about every day at some point. She can't hold a job. poor thing. She is taking a couple different medications which she does take pretty much religiously. She understands that if she doesn't she will become "crazy" << her words.

I know what the majority of people on here would say. I would be crazy to even entertain any relationship with this individual. Maybe I am crazy.

I don't know.

Anyone have any experience with individuals diagnosed with this disorder?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 02:25 PM

2 posts, read 2,169 times
I don't think you're crazy whatsoever. Being in a relationship with someone with a disorder is not in any way crazy. If you love her then it really doesn't matter what she has. I don't get why some people would think it makes you crazy to date someone who's got a disorder. Just always make sure you're there for her and encourage her that things will get better, and maybe they will. ^^

Old 02-28-2015, 09:08 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,290,523 times
No one is perfect, therefore MANY people have relationships with other people who have something not exactly right. The only thing which matters is if it is acceptable with you or not.

If you want to pursue the relationship, then it is helpful to read about and learn all you can. If you understand the other person better (walk in their shoes), it is much easier to know what is going on. For some people and situations, there are advantages to having certain disorders - they may be skilled at certain things others are not so good at (ADHD/Multitasking for example), etc.

So there can be positive things as well!

Old 02-28-2015, 09:14 AM

685 posts, read 721,089 times
I have a friend who I've known since college. Ultimately, she married a brilliant guy with many issues. I'm not listing the things on this forum. They've been together for over 1/2 their lifetime. If you can separate your empathy for this lovely young woman and your feelings about life with her to arrive at how you feel (I mean seriously look at it and you are), follow your heart. There are always risks in life. You can't beat real love. If it doesn't exist, though, it's not right for you.

I think your own qualities and questions are admirable.

Old 02-28-2015, 11:53 AM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
I am having my first experiencing dating a young lady that is diagnosed with Schizoaffective Disorder. What a terrible condition..

One of the major symptoms of the condition are forgetfulness and trouble with cognitive processes. A relatively common occurrence now is where in the middle of us hanging out and talking she will forget even who I am. She'll look at me and say "who are you". She comes back around in time however.

When she's having symptoms, she often complains of either her head or heart hurting. She commonly asks for re-assurance that she's going to be okay. She has both auditory and visual hallucinations at times. Just the other night she was crying as she was telling her dad she heard voices of people screaming for her to help them. Just last night she apparently saw some type of shape or figure by her bedroom door. I just try and re-assure her that these are just symptoms and not real and comfort her that it will all pass. She often asks why she has these symptoms and if she'll get better.

She has mood swings. She goes from happy to sad. When sad she really is down and expresses suicidal thoughts at times. I have witnessed her being concerned about the food (specifically recently chocolate chips I purchased to melt and make chocolate covered strawberries). She stated she saw something and did not want to use them... she was concerned that they were poisoned by someone that wanted to kill her. So I used another bag of chocolates to melt.

My heart really is broken for this girl. When she is healthy, she's cute as a can be. The problem is she experiences symptoms just about every day at some point. She can't hold a job. poor thing. She is taking a couple different medications which she does take pretty much religiously. She understands that if she doesn't she will become "crazy" << her words.

I know what the majority of people on here would say. I would be crazy to even entertain any relationship with this individual. Maybe I am crazy.

I don't know.

Anyone have any experience with individuals diagnosed with this disorder?
Kind of. A relationship with people like this really isn't possible. Has she not been diagnosed and treated? That could make a difference.

There are a lot of women out there who are just as cute, and also mentally stable. Is there a reason why you're sticking with this one?

Old 02-28-2015, 11:54 AM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceOut001 View Post
I have a friend who I've known since college. Ultimately, she married a brilliant guy with many issues. I'm not listing the things on this forum. They've been together for over 1/2 their lifetime. If you can separate your empathy for this lovely young woman and your feelings about life with her to arrive at how you feel (I mean seriously look at it and you are), follow your heart. There are always risks in life. You can't beat real love. If it doesn't exist, though, it's not right for you.

I think your own qualities and questions are admirable.
My experience is that you can love "brilliant people with major issues" all you want, but ultimately, a relationship with them will prove to be impossible, long-term. They're just not able to reciprocate on anywhere near the same level as you.

Old 02-28-2015, 02:15 PM

289 posts, read 504,885 times
I don't want to discourage you from dating her if you are really interested in her, but schizoaffective disorder, like schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, can cause a lot of unpredictable (as you've seen), impulsive, and life-altering symptoms. You didn't mention if she is currently in treatment. If she isn't, she sure needs to be. If she is, then that's a good start, but maybe she should put romantic relationships on hold until she has more control over her illness. She doesn't sound like she's in a good place right now. I've spoken to a few people with schizophrenia, and I have close family with bipolar disorder. There are plenty of these people who are able to cope with these illnesses enough to live happy, productive lives for the most part, but your girl doesn't sound like she's there yet.

Old 03-01-2015, 01:14 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,722,027 times
I think maybe cannabis could help her. It has been used since Genesis by over 1 billion people with no proof of any deaths, despite 20,000 studies where researchers could only get the money if they agreed to try to find something bad. Pill companies got sole rights in 1976 to determine who got the taxpayers money for cannabis research, & of course they didn't want any competition.

This is why most of what most people see & hear about it is wrong. The US Dispensatory of 1851 had it listed as a good treatment for all mental health issues. At least 6 of the present day pill companies had cannabis products in pharmacies until as late as 1937.

26% of those who say they use cannabis medicinally say they are using it to treat depression. Suicides are going up in part as many psychiatric pills actually cause depression & other mental health issues to get worse, or to do nothing. This is because they were designed for half a century ac- cording to a theory that is often not true. Now the news comes out that many mental disorders are actually caused by an undiagnosed physical disorder.

It took about half a century before a doctor said my lifelong anxiety, depression, etc may be caused by a neurological disorder. There are dozens if not hundreds of neurological disorders.

As for cannabis, the laws are posted on norml.org for USA & Wikipedia tries to keep with the laws in other countries. AK/CO/OR/WA it's legal for all adults. About 1/2 of the other states allow it for some medical conditions, with a recommendation from a doctor. A list of conditions for each state are on norml.org & marijuanadoctors.com/ An extremely long list of studies, alphabetically by conditions helped, can be found on Granny Storm Crow's list.

Cannabis oil can now be used in oil pens that run on a rechargeable battery, where legal. Some states allow growing for self or others, many don't. It is best not to eat it, & best to avoid sativa strains that don't have enough cannabidiol (CBD), due to panic attack possibility if overused. Hybrid & CBD dominant (indica) likely OK. I wish both of you all the best.

Old 03-01-2015, 05:16 PM

472 posts, read 348,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
My experience is that you can love "brilliant people with major issues" all you want, but ultimately, a relationship with them will prove to be impossible, long-term. They're just not able to reciprocate on anywhere near the same level as you.

I agree! These people with issues extremely severe can not reciprocate very well. Been with a girl like that did not know how to reciprocate. If you find someone that can reciprocate even with issues than I say your in the good.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:39 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,636,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJJG2012 View Post
I think maybe cannabis could help her. It has been used since Genesis by over 1 billion people with no proof of any deaths, despite 20,000 studies where researchers could only get the money if they agreed to try to find something bad. Pill companies got sole rights in 1976 to determine who got the taxpayers money for cannabis research, & of course they didn't want any competition.

This is why most of what most people see & hear about it is wrong. The US Dispensatory of 1851 had it listed as a good treatment for all mental health issues. At least 6 of the present day pill companies had cannabis products in pharmacies until as late as 1937.

26% of those who say they use cannabis medicinally say they are using it to treat depression. Suicides are going up in part as many psychiatric pills actually cause depression & other mental health issues to get worse, or to do nothing. This is because they were designed for half a century ac- cording to a theory that is often not true. Now the news comes out that many mental disorders are actually caused by an undiagnosed physical disorder.

It took about half a century before a doctor said my lifelong anxiety, depression, etc may be caused by a neurological disorder. There are dozens if not hundreds of neurological disorders.

As for cannabis, the laws are posted on norml.org for USA & Wikipedia tries to keep with the laws in other countries. AK/CO/OR/WA it's legal for all adults. About 1/2 of the other states allow it for some medical conditions, with a recommendation from a doctor. A list of conditions for each state are on norml.org & marijuanadoctors.com/ An extremely long list of studies, alphabetically by conditions helped, can be found on Granny Storm Crow's list.

Cannabis oil can now be used in oil pens that run on a rechargeable battery, where legal. Some states allow growing for self or others, many don't. It is best not to eat it, & best to avoid sativa strains that don't have enough cannabidiol (CBD), due to panic attack possibility if overused. Hybrid & CBD dominant (indica) likely OK. I wish both of you all the best.
Cannabis makes people paranoid. I don't think that is going to help her as she is already having anxiety attacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health