Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2015, 11:16 AM

5 posts, read 6,045 times

Advertisements

Psychiatrists are WITCH DOCTOR FRAUDS. There is NO science in the DSM-V It is MADE UP NONSENSE that was VOTED ON.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 09:16 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,303,939 times
Something I've know for a long time. Unfortunately (as is evidenced by the number of people who seek them) many of us actually feel that they know the cure for our ills....drugs usually.
I'm sure they love the chance to experiment with all the psychedelic drugs at their disposal.
They couldn't do that though, without all the willing subjects lined up for them.
Psychiatry is not usually about finding the cause of your grief, or difference...more about changing it (even if it's not wrong) with mind altering drugs...least that's what think.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:27 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,815,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Something I've know for a long time. Unfortunately (as is evidenced by the number of people who seek them) many of us actually feel that they know the cure for our ills....drugs usually.
I'm sure they love the chance to experiment with all the psychedelic drugs at their disposal.
They couldn't do that though, without all the willing subjects lined up for them.
Psychiatry is not usually about finding the cause of your grief, or difference...more about changing it (even if it's not wrong) with mind altering drugs...least that's what think.
Are you kidding me? That's all doctors not just psychiatry. My GP (and her sub) tried to push me into taking PPI's. She didn't even try to figure out why I had GERD. She just immediately decided on it when I said my symptoms and wrote out the prescription. I try to tell her I don't believe in medication. The nurse was the same way she was just like "well sometimes we have to do things we don't want to". I haven't been to the doctor since. Holistic doctors are not covered by my insurance either so I have to deal with it on my own. I try to change my diet because I know that helps. It just would be nice to know what is the cause. Maybe I don't even have to change my diet but you know how would I know since I'm getting no help. I have to consult Dr. Google which is more difficult since I have hypochondria.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:15 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,303,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
Are you kidding me? That's all doctors not just psychiatry.
I can't disagree with you.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:29 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,987,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post

You're right. Psychiatrists don't try to find the cause of the patient's grief or sadness. They give medications to help them recover from depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, etc. And there is nothing wrong with that. Why? Because there is no other mental health professional who is legally certified to treat mental illnesses with drugs. Treating the cause of mental illness via therapy can be accomplished by many different types of clinicians: psychologists, licensed clinical social workers, licensed marriage and family counselors, licensed professional counselors, and others. There is a physical basis for many mental illnesses. Therapy alone isn't enough to cure every patient of every mental illness. And if you don't believe me, just read one of the many threads on CD in which family members of bipolar patients rant and rave when their loved one stops taking their meds

Old 03-12-2015, 11:18 AM

718 posts, read 600,506 times
Pill pushers....

Old 03-13-2015, 06:00 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,815,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
[/b]

You're right. Psychiatrists don't try to find the cause of the patient's grief or sadness. They give medications to help them recover from depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, etc. And there is nothing wrong with that. Why? Because there is no other mental health professional who is legally certified to treat mental illnesses with drugs. Treating the cause of mental illness via therapy can be accomplished by many different types of clinicians: psychologists, licensed clinical social workers, licensed marriage and family counselors, licensed professional counselors, and others. There is a physical basis for many mental illnesses. Therapy alone isn't enough to cure every patient of every mental illness. And if you don't believe me, just read one of the many threads on CD in which family members of bipolar patients rant and rave when their loved one stops taking their meds
Even if it's true that drugs are an essential part of life, not every mental illness should be treated with drugs. Many mental problems can be dealt with without drugs. There are other ways to handle it particularly depression but guess what doctors think "oh she/he is depressed. let's just give them drugs that will fix everything and they won't bother us ever again" They don't want to work with patients. They want money for little work so that's why they would refer a person to a psychologist because they don't want to take the time to try and understand how the person's mind works.
Also yes there may be a physical basis for mental illnesses but people need to start making healthy choices. If they exercised and ate right, they'd be a lot better off.
Finally I don't know why you're using the word cure. You can't CURE a mental illness. It is always there, no amount of medication is ever going to change that and might even make it worse.

Last edited by Nickchick; 03-13-2015 at 06:11 PM..

Old 03-14-2015, 10:22 PM

11,061 posts, read 6,011,853 times
My only really negative experience with doctors and drugs was when my son was prescribed with a drug that made him worse - much worse. It triggered a complete breakdown. Then the psychiatrists that saw him had no useful 'diagnosis' or treatments. Many of you know the final outcome.

Old 03-22-2015, 04:20 AM

6,403 posts, read 6,294,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
Are you kidding me? That's all doctors not just psychiatry. My GP (and her sub) tried to push me into taking PPI's. She didn't even try to figure out why I had GERD. She just immediately decided on it when I said my symptoms and wrote out the prescription. I try to tell her I don't believe in medication. The nurse was the same way she was just like "well sometimes we have to do things we don't want to". I haven't been to the doctor since. Holistic doctors are not covered by my insurance either so I have to deal with it on my own. I try to change my diet because I know that helps. It just would be nice to know what is the cause. Maybe I don't even have to change my diet but you know how would I know since I'm getting no help. I have to consult Dr. Google which is more difficult since I have hypochondria.

This is SO right on! I wish more people would see the correlation!

How often are they changing the WNL range (within normal limits) for lab results? Ever see the old ads w doctors advertising the "healthiest" cigarettes? Ever hear of "patent medications?"

I once had an older idiot doctor tell me not to remove my own mole because it could "cause cancer" (debunked.) Remember advice like "go for the burn?" "Moisterizer will stop wrinkles?" Women being put on "bed rest" whenever pregnant?

It's ALL of medicine that is always evolving. Psychiatry just is the easiest to pick on.

To get a better idea of this, watch the first season of "The Knick."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health