Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 10:21 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,394,634 times

Advertisements

Perhaps this topic was treated before but here I go.

I've known my share of compulsive liars, people who lie about silliest things. There is one dude I know for quite a bit, that was always lying. After reading and analyzing more of his treats I think he is suffering from NPD.

The lies were in the realm of places he said he was but he wasn´t, cars he owned but in reality he didn´t, certain things blown out of proportion, incidents he disguised as one thing and then it was another.

Also I worked with a female who liked to be on high class events, here the lies were more of people who she says she dated or have a close relationship, mostly like big CEO but in reality I discovered that wasn´t the case. For me another case of NPD.

And then was this girl I dated, who I think suffered from cychlotimia, who lied about her ex hubby's last name. Giving him a fictional last name, just to make him sound important.

So it´s lying associated with mental issues?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2016, 10:41 PM

11,022 posts, read 5,989,338 times
Good question. I tend to think so. My second son has such a problem. He described himself as a compulsive liar. I noticed his lying when he was a kid.

But what is NPD?

Is that cychlotimia a typo? Cyclothymia I know about, it's a lesser form of bipolar II but can be quite serious when coupled with depression and anxiety. I don't know if that would tie in with lying.

Old 02-07-2016, 05:14 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalker2014 View Post
So it´s lying associated with mental issues?
Depends on what you mean by a "mental issue."

I think that lying is learned behavior. Then again, personality disorders are a result of learned behavior, and NPD (Narcissistic Personality Disorder) would require one to fabricate the truth regularly in order to inflate one's view of him/herself.

Old 02-07-2016, 07:47 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,571,777 times
I think compulsive lying goes hand in hand with other compulsive issues - gambling, alcoholism, sex addiction, etc.

A very sad way to choose to live your life.

Old 02-07-2016, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Good question. I tend to think so. My second son has such a problem. He described himself as a compulsive liar. I noticed his lying when he was a kid.

But what is NPD?

Is that cychlotimia a typo? Cyclothymia I know about, it's a lesser form of bipolar II but can be quite serious when coupled with depression and anxiety. I don't know if that would tie in with lying.
Yes, I meant Cychlothymia. A lesser degree form of bipolar disorder. Since some form of NPD is associated with bipolar disorder the lies are part of the combo

Narcissistic personality Disorder is NPD, usually full of lies.

Personally I don't think all liers are with mental problems, specially if they are children. Usually kids lie because of the fear of punishment, and in some cases adults as well, but compulsive liars wants to lie because of the "high" of their "made up life" so to speak.

Old 02-07-2016, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
I think compulsive lying goes hand in hand with other compulsive issues - gambling, alcoholism, sex addiction, etc.
There's a genetic predisposition to addictive disorders, though. Lying per se is not genetic.

Old 02-07-2016, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalker2014 View Post
Since some form of NPD is associated with bipolar disorder the lies are part of the combo
Not necessarily. Bipolar disorders (I and II) are mood disorders.

Quote:
I don't think all liers are with mental problems, specially if they are children.
One is not usually diagnosed with a mental disorder until he or she reaches the age of 18, unless it is specifically a childhood disorder, e.g. Conduct Disorder.

Old 02-07-2016, 02:48 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,629,192 times
I hate this kind of thing. Why should someone get to do this and call it a disease so it isn't their fault? I think the only way this could be mental disorder is if the person really believes what they are saying and they are delusional due to brain damage. An actual lie is an untruth knowingly told. Most people that lie all the time know it. If someone robs banks they don't have bank robbers disease. Wrong is wrong and why do we want to excuse people?

Old 02-08-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Not necessarily. Bipolar disorders (I and II) are mood disorders.

One is not usually diagnosed with a mental disorder until he or she reaches the age of 18, unless it is specifically a childhood disorder, e.g. Conduct Disorder.

That´s correct but often, bipolars have a sense of great grandeur (NPD traits) which could involved lies.

Also NPD are liers by nature. Same as schizophrenia.

Bipolar and Lying Are Connected. Here's Why. | Bipolar Lives

Old 02-08-2016, 10:10 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,035,544 times
I vote yes.

The example I like is sometimes you meet a stranger and within 30 seconds have already begun to tell you about all of the outrageous things in their life like when they're on safari and how many animals they killed and the different businesses that they own and are selling and how many houses they own and are currently selling and when they went to the moon and all of the outrageous vacations they just took and the list goes on and on and on pretty soon you can tell, come on, this guy is just crazy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health