Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 10:23 PM

18 posts, read 25,872 times

Advertisements

I know alot of you guys are not, you seem to be pretty understanding and empathatic. But alot of people are prejudiced towards them. They assume theyre crazy and lump them together with all the other crazies. As if theyre all the same or something. But the fact is, they have feelings, emotions, aspirations, and goals just like you. The only difference is that they have mental issues. They might not be 'normal' but even they can be very self aware. Some people cant relate or understand them, so all they can say is "you need help" or to go see a therapist, instead of offering real advice in order to try to help them solve their issues. When its inappropriate it can be pretty insulting, and personally I dont get that offended because it does nothing for me. People will be people and they will make unnecessary assumptions about them, because theyre not normal like the rest of us. Its basically us vs them. We discriminate against people who arent like us which is completely normal. I just dislike that some people are like that. Since it can affect those peoples lives in a lot of subtle ways.

This is not a major issue in my opinion, but it is an issue that is worth talking about. So I hope we can discuss this. Id like to know what you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2016, 04:48 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Depending on the mental health issue, it can make other people fearful. If you're standing on a subway platform and some guy is muttering to himself you are going to want to give him a wide berth. We have read often enough in the news about some of the things mentally ill people have done and it scares most people.

My son was dating a woman who was bi-polar; one day she would be this sweet woman who was enjoyable to be around. The next day she would be yanking his pillow from underneath him at 7 a.m. on a Saturday morning because he didn't set the coffee maker before going to bed.

My old boss had a son who had a bad case of OCD and a mild form of Tourette's Syndrome. I never thought he would marry but he did so I guess his wife wasn't prejudiced against his mental issues.

Old 12-30-2016, 04:59 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
People that don't understand mental illness tend to have a fear of 'doing or saying' the wrong thing that could possibly set someone off in a bad way.

Old 12-30-2016, 06:43 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,903 times
I think it's understandable to be wary of those with mental illnesses. It takes tact to act that out gracefully.

Old 12-30-2016, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Depending on the mental health issue, it can make other people fearful. If you're standing on a subway platform and some guy is muttering to himself you are going to want to give him a wide berth. We have read often enough in the news about some of the things mentally ill people have done and it scares most people.

My son was dating a woman who was bi-polar; one day she would be this sweet woman who was enjoyable to be around. The next day she would be yanking his pillow from underneath him at 7 a.m. on a Saturday morning because he didn't set the coffee maker before going to bed.

My old boss had a son who had a bad case of OCD and a mild form of Tourette's Syndrome. I never thought he would marry but he did so I guess his wife wasn't prejudiced against his mental issues.
Yeah but once you get to know them they are probably nice, harmless people. The vast majority of people who have schizophrenia for one, are non violent and are more likely to hurt themselves than other people.

I dont know if violent people are mentally ill or just *******s. Are most people in prison mentally ill? what mental illness do they have? Many people claim they are because of the notion that if they dont conform to society like the rest of us they might be mentally ill.

Ocd is one of the lesser, more common mental disorders imo. A LOT of people have recurrent thought ocd, and no one can tell. And they act pretty normal.

Old 12-31-2016, 09:31 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Did you ever see the movie "As Good As It Gets"? I would hardly call Jack Nicholson's behavior normal by any stretch of the imagination. Although sometimes I wish my sloppy son had a touch of OCD.....

Old 12-31-2016, 09:44 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,739,460 times
It is a Pandora's box that medicine is just scraping the surface on and society is not yet, as a whole, come to accept.

Just as some struggle to empathize with something like Crohn's disease, mental illness is often out of sight, out of mind.

Old 12-31-2016, 11:40 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,063,850 times
Lack of education and understanding of mental illness hurts those affected. The stigma that occurs should have been wiped out by now, with the medical discoveries about the brain and its diseases. If you don't understand why mental illness occurs, do yourself a favor and try to learn about it. This is not a scary disease if you know what causes it.

Old 12-31-2016, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Did you ever see the movie "As Good As It Gets"? I would hardly call Jack Nicholson's behavior normal by any stretch of the imagination. Although sometimes I wish my sloppy son had a touch of OCD.....
No I havent scene it but judging from youtube clips that is severe ocd.

I think like a good portion of the population have though ocd to some extent. I have very minor recurrent thought ocd that occurs only every few days and is unobtrusive. Its just that when you make a big deal out of it it is more likely to come back. And it has nothing to do with my germaphobia. Like when you picture something unpleasant in your mind you might think well that was weird or try to counter it with something. The more severe the reaction the more likely it will reoccur. At least thats just my theory.

Old 01-01-2017, 02:16 PM

4,326 posts, read 1,262,140 times
I'm bipolar and it runs in my family, my grandfather (bipolar) killed himself when I was a young kid. Meds help some but I still have days where I'm extremely impulsive, and other days when I stay in bed and wished I were dead. I've lost friends because they don't understand this, and it makes life even harder. Mentally ill people are very misunderstood, and it's sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health