Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2017, 01:55 PM

15 posts, read 21,463 times

Advertisements

my niece is a 2nd grade teacher and has developed a drinking problem. she knows she needs to go to rehab but is so ashamed(her word) to tell her principal.they have worked together 10 years and the principal thinks very highly of her.

i guess Im asking how to go about it??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 04:14 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times
I'm not sure how to go about it, but doing nothing will only allow the alcoholism to get worse, and then just how embarrassed will your niece be when the principal can no longer ignore what will eventually become obvious and has to talk to her about it?

Perhaps she can make it through this current school year and get into rehab as soon as summer break begins? Or she can start immediately to attend AA meetings. Some people are helped by AA and some are not; she should try it.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:22 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,425,270 times
Does she want a detox or a full 28 day rehab program?

A detox will take around 5 days either being discharged on the 5th day or the 6th..

Going for a detox program I see no reason to disclose where or why she's going..
A 28 day absence is a bit trickier to explain away..

My suggestion as a recovering alcoholic is to go when the desire to go is strong, don't wait as there is all to great of a chance of putting it off, over and over and over..

Old 01-25-2017, 01:56 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,151,970 times
See if there's an intensive outpatient program (IOP) in your area. If so, she can attend in the evenings and not miss work or tell any of her colleagues.

Old 01-30-2017, 04:24 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
She will find put how many people there are just like her, and she will learn that her principal likely knows others in the program.

Old 01-30-2017, 04:28 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant View Post
See if there's an intensive outpatient program (IOP) in your area. If so, she can attend in the evenings and not miss work or tell any of her colleagues.
And this. When I threw out my alkie husband, he was required to go to an inpatient rehab if he wanted unsupervised visits with our daughter.

His lawyer asked if it was ok if he went to an outpatient evening program because he had found a day job, and of course I said yes.

Good luck however this goes.

Old 03-04-2017, 12:20 AM

1 posts, read 647 times
Thanks a lots for your tips .

Old 04-14-2017, 02:40 PM

10 posts, read 13,358 times
Default the stigma

I find it heart breaking that she can know a person for 10 years and still be worried about what stigma that person will feel towards here if she opens up about it. However, that could be entirely based on her own assumptions. Most people have a loved one that has suffered from alcoholism and they realize it is a disease and that it needs treated. I would suggest she open up about it and see how he will really react. IOP is a good idea, but she may need a residential treatment center to find recovery. It really depends on how much help she needs and that can be hard to assess.

Anything she can do to improve her understanding of the disease will help her on the path to recovery. At the very least, she could begin listening to some podcasts about addiction treatment and recovery.

Here are my favorites:
Recovery Soapbox - Alcohol and Drug Recovery Podcast with therapists and addicts
The SHAIR - Podcast that talks to addicts about their recovery

Good luck, wishing you the best.

Old 04-16-2017, 12:29 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edhawkins80 View Post
I find it heart breaking that she can know a person for 10 years and still be worried about what stigma that person will feel towards here if she opens up about it. However, that could be entirely based on her own assumptions. Most people have a loved one that has suffered from alcoholism and they realize it is a disease and that it needs treated. I would suggest she open up about it and see how he will really react. IOP is a good idea, but she may need a residential treatment center to find recovery. It really depends on how much help she needs and that can be hard to assess.

Anything she can do to improve her understanding of the disease will help her on the path to recovery. At the very least, she could begin listening to some podcasts about addiction treatment and recovery.

Here are my favorites:
Recovery Soapbox - Alcohol and Drug Recovery Podcast with therapists and addicts
The SHAIR - Podcast that talks to addicts about their recovery

Good luck, wishing you the best.
As can be seen in the mental health forum, the other party having experience from a friend or loved one can be bad. If they had a very negative experience and some people lack empathy for anything that is seen as a weakness, something that in their view the person should have complete control over.

In fact alcoholism is a mental health issue and stigmas abound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health