Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 05:22 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,726,963 times

Advertisements

anyone battle this and win - or at least find better ways to cope? please come in and relay your experiences.

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2019, 08:22 AM

4,189 posts, read 3,402,741 times
Yes, I was terrified of public speaking. Years ago, I was supposed to present some material on a panel, along with a group of others....one of them cancelled at the last possible minute (so we could not get anyone else), saying he was scared. Something he could have mentioned during the months of preparation....

But his last-minute defection made me MAD. So mad, I marched out there and did my material, with no problems. I still dislike public speaking but I know I can do it in spite of the butterflies.

Old 05-09-2019, 12:08 AM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Shadowboxing View Post
anyone battle this and win - or at least find better ways to cope? please come in and relay your experiences.

thanks!
Several things I do. Give a "rehearsal" speech to a sympathetic co-worker or friend to help work out the kinks in the topic and practice getting all the points you want to include in some manner that's easier to remember. Also, remember that you don't have to include everything about the topic. I think people make the mistake of cramming so much into the presentation that if they realize they've forgotten something it throws them off for the rest of the speech. The longer they feel they have to keep speaking the more anxious they get. Keep it simpler. Prioritize to the most important points. Hand out a summary or references to the audience so they can look up more info on their own, and so you won't feel so pressured. A shorter speech with more time for questions helps. By the time the questions start you are probably warmed up and more relaxed anyway.

It also helps you learn to manage the anxiety if you find a local group that shares an interest in a hobby or some cause you have and volunteer to make short (like a few minutes) presentations to a small group. The "deck" is stacked in your favor...a topic you know about and probably talk about to family or friends anyway, a group that shares the interest (so they are welcoming and interested in what you have to say), and some sympathetic ears belonging to folks who won't nitpick. It can really help you learn to organize your thoughts and practice to keep from getting tongue-tied.

Old 05-09-2019, 01:16 AM

61,734 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Are you preparing for a public speech?

There are many techniques on how to overcome fear. Great examples in the above post!
Also search the internet for articles and youtube presentations.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...g/faq-20058416
https://www.briantracy.com/blog/publ...blic-speaking/
https://www.quietrev.com/overcome-yo...blic-speaking/

Old 05-09-2019, 06:38 AM

4,189 posts, read 3,402,741 times
You could also join Toastmasters.

Old 05-09-2019, 06:55 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
I bought several books on speaking when I was a corporate sales rep.....

and studied them then over and over.

then....practice, practice, practice until you know your speech well by heart. Practice in front of a mirror and not. Add tidbits of humor if possible...eases everyone including you.

One book says to picture everyone naked ....in other words, they are just people, nothing to fear...

Old 05-09-2019, 08:11 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,726,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I bought several books on speaking when I was a corporate sales rep.....

and studied them then over and over.

then....practice, practice, practice until you know your speech well by heart. Practice in front of a mirror and not. Add tidbits of humor if possible...eases everyone including you.

One book says to picture everyone naked ....in other words, they are just people, nothing to fear...
this all works...for people WITHOUT anxiety and panic.

Old 05-09-2019, 11:56 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
Quote:
I don't know what you would call this, but I went through a period of time where I would get severe chest pressure if I had to speak in public. The worst was the time when I actually lost my voice. The other times it would eventually pass and I would be OK. I gradually got over this problem and I'm actually a very good public speaker today.

The answer to your question is not that complicated. You need to develop self confidence in speaking and then get enough practice that it becomes second nature to speak in public.

To gain self confidence you need to thoroughly know your topic and practice your speech. The second item is more difficult because you need opportunities to speak in front of a group. Someone mentioned Toastmasters. I joined two Toastmasters groups. It is an opportunity to practice in a nonthreatening situation. Everyone is there to get better at public speaking so there is no risk of doing a bad job. I suggest joining a group that is not associated with the people you work. Beyond Toastmasters, I would join any kind of group and try to take a visible leadership role where you get opportunities to speak to a group. Practice will give you the self confidence to overcome any anxiety. It won't happen by reading a book, you actually need the practice.

Old 05-09-2019, 02:02 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Well, if the anxiety/panic problem isn't specific to public speaking, that's what counseling is for. You asked about public speaking. The techniques suggested were made with that in mind.

Old 05-09-2019, 02:16 PM

4,242 posts, read 947,782 times
Propranolol! https://www.anxieties.com/159/beta-b...s#.XNSKQ45KhPY

Works like a charm for me ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health