Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2022, 10:09 PM

8,723 posts, read 3,901,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
thats great , call me a psychopath , not reductive at all , No siree
No need to feel wronged; I didn’t call you a psychopath. This is what I stated:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Your statement sounds a bit psychopathic in and of itself as you appear not to understand the difference between justice/the law vs. physical acts of ‘revenge’ and wrongdoing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2022, 05:42 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,303,140 times
Quote:
No need to feel wronged; I didn’t call you a psychopath. This is what I stated:
No need to back peddle or engage in semantics, if you didn't intend to imply , you would have worded that post differently

The implication is clear, own it

Old 02-18-2022, 08:51 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,598,145 times
Quote:

most people dont take any pleasure when a death row inmate is executed but the family of someone who was brutally murdered might well take pleasure in said execution , does that make those people psychopathic ? , i dont personally think it does at all

Ofc not…AND where did you get that from? The inmate who brutally murdered somebody might be a psychopath tho. Psychopaths & sociopaths are in trouble with the law a lot & a high percentage of them are in prison. To meet criteria, there are several traits that have to be present from each category & it has to be ongoing over time.

Quote:
its a lot more nuanced than you portray

Well….fight about nuances with the APA if you want. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Or the clinicians that use the Hare psychopathy checklist. It’s super clear IMO but wrong information is common because psychopaths, sociopaths & “narcissists” are all over pop psychology culture. Lots of ppl can they are a psychologist or therapist.

Quote:

we are far too quick to pathologise people for the most part

Ita. Ppl can be too sensitive & angry…BUT if the shoe fits, there is nothing wrong with gathering information, protecting yourself & getting the police involved. AND tell & show every friend & family member as many details as you have.

Old 02-18-2022, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
Ofc not…AND where did you get that from? The inmate who brutally murdered somebody might be a psychopath tho. Psychopaths & sociopaths are in trouble with the law a lot & a high percentage of them are in prison. To meet criteria, there are several traits that have to be present from each category & it has to be ongoing over time.

Well….fight about nuances with the APA if you want. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Or the clinicians that use the Hare psychopathy checklist. It’s super clear IMO but wrong information is common because psychopaths, sociopaths & “narcissists” are all over pop psychology culture. Lots of ppl can they are a psychologist or therapist.

Ita. Ppl can be too sensitive & angry…BUT if the shoe fits, there is nothing wrong with gathering information, protecting yourself & getting the police involved. AND tell & show every friend & family member as many details as you have.
the inmate on death row who murders a random stranger is a psychopath , why else would someone murder a complete stranger ?

its been stated on this thread already however that someone even desiring retribution has the mind or tendacies of a psychopath , perhaps but then again maybe most of us share some common traits even with people who commit horrific acts , that hardly makes someone conclusively a psychopath ?, merely wishing no good on someone who grievously harmed you is not a sign of being crazy , I only wish ill upon one person in this world and I have not met them in twenty five years and are extremely unlikely to ever meet them again , still cant fool myself into believing what they did was ok

Old 02-18-2022, 01:10 PM

Quote:
the inmate on death row who murders a random stranger is a psychopath , why else would someone murder a complete stranger ?

If it’s a stranger or somebody they don’t know as well as they think they do, Ita….it’s probable. BUT all psychopaths aren’t murderers & all murderers aren’t psychopaths.

AND…it’s totally different to have a psychopathic trait than be a psychopath ofc especially since there is crossover of some traits. Ppl with NPD or sociopathy can seek emotional vengeance or revenge if they feel wronged. They deceive, lie, or manipulate to get it because it’s all about them. They have the ability to feel empathy but it’s weakened…so some will feel very little.

Old 02-18-2022, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
If it’s a stranger or somebody they don’t know as well as they think they do, Ita….it’s probable. BUT all psychopaths aren’t murderers & all murderers aren’t psychopaths.

AND…it’s totally different to have a psychopathic trait than be a psychopath ofc especially since there is crossover of some traits. Ppl with NPD or sociopathy can seek emotional vengeance or revenge if they feel wronged. They deceive, lie, or manipulate to get it because it’s all about them. They have the ability to feel empathy but it’s weakened…so some will feel very little.
if someone is grievously wronged , who else would it be about only them

Old 02-19-2022, 10:28 AM

Tho if somebody thinks they were “grievously wronged”^^ AND they are out for revenge, that’s a psychopathic trait…especially over a long time. It doesn’t make them a psychopath ofc….other criteria has to be met.

edit: It is also a trait that is seen in ASPD & NPD…tho more emotional revenge & pain than physical.

Last edited by TashaPosh; 02-19-2022 at 11:21 AM..

Old 02-19-2022, 05:02 PM

Quote:
if someone is grievously wronged , who else would it be about only them
Point being, there is a distinction between a (perceived) ‘wrong’ vs. a criminal act. As long as your ‘revenge’ stays within the law, no problem; but someone who is unstable/psychopathic will not care about aligning with such as they feel they are ‘above the law’ while being blinded by revenge i.e. they get careless.

Quote:
No need to back peddle or engage in semantics, if you didn't intend to imply , you would have worded that post differently

The implication is clear, own it
I own what I say - not what you interpret; hence the reason I made the same statement twice. I questioned your inability to distinguish the difference between ‘justice/law’ vs. ‘revenge’. I still do.

Old 02-20-2022, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Point being, there is a distinction between a (perceived) ‘wrong’ vs. a criminal act. As long as your ‘revenge’ stays within the law, no problem; but someone who is unstable/psychopathic will not care about aligning with such as they feel they are ‘above the law’ while being blinded by revenge i.e. they get careless.

I own what I say - not what you interpret; hence the reason I made the same statement twice. I questioned your inability to distinguish the difference between ‘justice/law’ vs. ‘revenge’. I still do.
I don't recommend or encourage people to go around getting physical with people in order to settle scores but that's different to viewing someone as psychopathic for even feeling intense anger towards someone who wronged you.

As for a " perceived wrong " , a person need not have been on the receiving end of what is technically a criminal act in order to have been wronged

You stray close to gaslighting with that statement, implying that someone only perceived they were wronged, very few people are masochists so if they are troubled about something someone did to them, I tend to take them at face value, not question their perception powers

Old 02-20-2022, 11:16 AM

Quote:

As for a " perceived wrong " , a person need not have been on the receiving end of what is technically a criminal act in order to have been wronged

You stray close to gaslighting with that statement, implying that someone only perceived they were wronged, very few people are masochists so if they are troubled about something someone did to them, I tend to take them at face value, not question their perception powers
It’s a bit difficult to discuss when you (repeatedly) miss the distinction between a ‘wrong’ vs. a criminal act and (personal) revenge vs. (societal) justice. All of us have felt wronged at one time or another; it’s a matter of how one reacts which speaks to their mental health.

If a person cheats or loses interest in their relationship, for example, a person feels betrayed/wronged; but there will be no ‘justice’ in terms of the law, obviously. A healthy person deals with the betrayal and takes necessary action. In this case, it might involve an intense conversation in an attempt to repair or be heard, or he/she may simply know they want to leave the relationship - and does so quickly, feeling no need to discuss anything as the ‘damage is done’. However, a psychopath or unstable person doesn’t care about fixing/reaching closure to the problem/situation which caused their anger; rather, he/she acts upon their anger/rage (and feels justified in so doing). Their anger is over-the-top and persistent; it becomes the bigger problem.

Point being, a mentally unstable person’s revenge is often the criminal act in and of itself; it’s the necessary takeaway relative to psychopaths and the thread. Think of a woman who shreds a man’s clothes, vandalizes his car, attempts to defame him or stabs him in the back because he is cheating or rejected her. She feels grievously wronged; but that’s a psychopathic disregard for the law because, in her eyes, ‘he deserved it’.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 02-20-2022 at 11:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health