Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2022, 03:51 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,800,655 times

Advertisements

Neighbor friends that I've know for several years (and was trusted to watch over the 2 and their dog). Anyway, the daughter has chosen to be a he - looking for some articles (trusted), etc. to read up on this, I don't want to offend in any way. (please don't suggest Google as I won't use it) - TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2022, 04:23 PM

700 posts, read 447,382 times
No idea what you're talking about.

Please re-read and re-write, maybe?

Old 05-22-2022, 05:24 PM

I have and it makes perfect sense - someone (a young teen) has chosen to be a different gender. Obviously you don't know anything about this situation.

Old 05-22-2022, 07:41 PM

6,467 posts, read 3,985,300 times
Don't assume it's a "phase." Don't assume it's a mental illness or a problem with his upbringing or something he should try to change. Use his new pronouns and new name-- exclusively, and remember to do so (if you make a genuine effort, occasional slips won't be the problem-- but not bothering to try is a problem). If uncertain, ask him how he wants to be addressed. It also couldn't hurt to ask if he prefers that his past self be referred to as "him" or "her" (some people will still use the pronouns from before they transitioned-- as in, "when Susie was 5 she liked horses..." and some will prefer not to-- "when Sam was 5 he liked horses...")

Try pflag.org.

(and actually, your OP doesn't make "perfect sense"-- I thought this was going to be a question about dog-sitting and thought the hyphen in "the daughter has chosen to be a he--" was supposed to be a coverup for a swear word, and the only one I could think of was "hell" which makes no grammatical sense. I think what you mean to say was, "their daughter has just come out as transgender" which is more clear.)

Old 05-23-2022, 11:27 AM

20,937 posts, read 28,443,988 times
This is not a phase or a mental Illness. You just don't wake up one day and say "hey I want to be a man or woman". This Stems from when you are a young child. You don't feel as if you belong or in the right body. You must educate yourself about transgendered people. You don't have to like it or agree with it but if they are good friends I would try and be supportive. Maybe there are books you can take out since you refuse to use google.

Old 05-23-2022, 11:41 AM

Thank you - I am not assuming it's a "phase" or anything like that, I want to be and will be as supportive as possible but this is all new to me - I was looking for things I could read on it that were legitimate - I use Duck, Duck Go as my search engine.

Old 05-23-2022, 12:11 PM

8,153 posts, read 8,359,535 times
If this young person was someone who I had a reasonably close relationship with and had previously enjoyed chatting with, I’d simply say something like: “I notice you’ve made some changes, tell me about it …” and I would make every effort to adopt an accepting disposition.

Old 05-23-2022, 12:52 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,877,894 times
Sometimes being politely candid is the best approach. If you are skeptical of mainstream information sources about gender transitioning why not ask your neighbor about it directly? Tell them you know next to nothing about the subject, wish to educate yourself in order to be respectful and supportive, but don't know where to find more reliable sources of information. Unless the daughter is unwilling to discuss it with anyone outside immediate family, chances are she can give you some good sources.

PS: I also found your OP confusing. Sort of got steered down a path about watching over 2 unknown somethings and dog sitting but ended up somewhere very different!

Old 05-23-2022, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Sometimes being politely candid is the best approach. If you are skeptical of mainstream information sources about gender transitioning why not ask the person about it directly? Tell them you know next to nothing about the subject, wish to educate yourself about it, but don't know how to find more reliable sources of information.
Couldn't rep. you again but thank you - the person is only 13 and has always been very reticent.

Old 05-23-2022, 01:14 PM

2,203 posts, read 5,086,773 times
Here is some good info.
https://transequality.org/issues/res...ple-the-basics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health