Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2022, 04:32 AM

780 posts, read 1,344,656 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else had this issue with finding a therapist ignoring them seeking help for depression?

I was diagnosed with severe depression about 6 yrs ago, and was put on citalopram, which did stop the constant bad feelings, but it also stopped any good feelings too, so my PCP suggested I wean myself of it, after taking that for about 2 yrs.

Been trying to find the last several weeks a therapist to talk to, about why I feel like crap so much. Contacted 5 of them, and not one of them has returned my messages/phone calls. Are therapists *this* flaky lately??

I spoke briefly about this, with my PCP, but he just brushed it off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2022, 09:30 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,531,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylar0201 View Post
Has anyone else had this issue with finding a therapist ignoring them seeking help for depression?

I was diagnosed with severe depression about 6 yrs ago, and was put on citalopram, which did stop the constant bad feelings, but it also stopped any good feelings too, so my PCP suggested I wean myself of it, after taking that for about 2 yrs.

Been trying to find the last several weeks a therapist to talk to, about why I feel like crap so much. Contacted 5 of them, and not one of them has returned my messages/phone calls. Are therapists *this* flaky lately??

I spoke briefly about this, with my PCP, but he just brushed it off.
I guess you mean you have called their office to get an appointment and no one has called back yet? I am in the same boat trying to find a new psychiatrist. I can't get a call back from the office. Many psychs are full up and not accepting patients. I assume the same is true of therapists. It's a bad situation for us to be in. I am currently unmedicated after my last doctor stopped seeing me. I am considering becoming an inpatient to get back on meds and have the hospital hook me up with a new psychiatrist.

Old 06-04-2022, 04:06 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,260,247 times
Call your insurance company Monday morning and explain what's happened and press upon them to find you a doctor ASAP.
I recall an in-state vacation where I decided to go off citolapram: nothing bad happened but I remember feeling like someone let the bathwater out of the tub while I was still in it. Take care of yourself!

Old 06-04-2022, 09:01 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,067,332 times
Believe me, you are not being ignored. I get several offers every day to sign on as a therapist due to so many openings and referrals for help from the current population, no matter what city/town you are in. It's just a bad time to be in the mental health field for therapists (overwhelmed) or patients (needing meds/ therapy, etc.) My license is not current, and I don't want to do private practice anymore. But, goodness, if I did, I could name my wage and hours.
Keep trying. You have a right to get treatment, no matter what kind. Keep phoning. Try your community health center, if you have one. And yes, call your insurance co. to see who has openings. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health