Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2022, 10:19 AM

3,166 posts, read 3,362,200 times

Advertisements

What was your experience with that person? Are those type of people capable of healthy friendship or relationship? I met one person with that mental disorder. She’s fine as a casual acquaintance but I wouldn’t be close friends with her.

Her condition is controlled with meds and seeing a therapist regularly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2022, 10:35 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,053,026 times
I think this is one of those questions where it's necessary to provide an explanation of what Reactive Attachment Disorder is. I've never heard of the term before this and had to look it up to find out what it is that you're talking about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reacti...hment_disorder

Old 08-30-2022, 11:08 AM

5,656 posts, read 3,160,466 times
My great niece, who is currently 5, was adopted from India at the age of 14 months. She relatively quickly got over her shyness with her parents, but then kind of swung the other way, where no one was a stranger to her.

Her pediatrician told her parents that was something to be concerned about, and to try and teach her/show her boundaries, as she would literally go to anyone.

Old 08-30-2022, 09:34 PM

88,617 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I think this is one of those questions where it's necessary to provide an explanation of what Reactive Attachment Disorder is. I've never heard of the term before this and had to look it up to find out what it is that you're talking about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reacti...hment_disorder

Quote:
Such a failure could result from severe early experiences of neglect, abuse, abrupt separation from caregivers between the ages of six months and three years,
This came up recently in a documentary about Ted Kaczynski, known as the Unabomber.

At one point, his younger brother had asked his mother what was wrong with Teddy, why couldn't he make any friends.

His mother told him that Ted had been normal until he was two, when he developed an illness and was hospitalized. The parents were told not to come to the hospital because he had to be isolated, and so they were separated from him for six weeks. When he was well and came home, he no longer made eye contact with them or smiled.

Old 09-04-2022, 09:27 PM

183 posts, read 122,320 times
I think, most of us have at some point? But I've never known of someone having a formal diagnosis.

The most likely one I can think of would be a vague acquaintance, a friend of a friend, who apparently was pretty neglected as a kid, and at one point was hobbling around on a broken ankle as a kid for a couple of weeks (supposedly) before a family friend prodded to have her taken to a doctor to have it checked out. It's hard to imagine parents that oblivious, but they exist.

I've known a couple of families where the pre-school aged kids had behaviour problems dire enough that social workers were notified and got involved. The kids acted out mostly, but extremely withdrawn behaviour, that wasn't part of it, so I don't think it would have been RAD.

Old 09-05-2022, 08:47 AM

9,870 posts, read 7,747,075 times
My adopted granddaughter has it. She's 13 now and it's extremely serious. We are all hoping that as her hormones kick in that she gets a little better. She is in a special needs school and has been hospitalized multiple times from the age of 5.

She has to be supervised at all times to protect everyone in the family and the pets. She has mutilated animals, she steals, she lies constantly, she will destroy her surroundings, hurt her siblings and self-harm.

But, she is also the cutest and most charming person in a room full of strangers. She can be super friendly to people of all ages. But then she will get in your purse and steal something to give to someone else to manipulate them into doing something she wants.

Her condition has never been able to be controlled by meds long term. Meds that slow down her responses give her more time to plan something devious.

That all said, I love her dearly and we have a good relationship but I have to be on guard 24/7.

I know of another 18 year old girl who is also diagnosed with RAD. Their stories are identical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health