Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2023, 08:46 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,093,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post

You were describing the tendency to start up conversations with total strangers.

The OP was complaining that the total strangers he's eavesdropping on talk too much!
eavesdropping?

A person continuously blabbering - non-stop - for 30 to 40 minutes at 1 foot distance away from you.
May be you have some God gifted talent but I am unable to ignore it for so long.

As mental medical health indicates that excessive talking IS a psychiatric condition (read the opening in OP), but what I truly wondered was, if the yearning to listen to this non-stop and absolutely useless blabbering - is also a mental health condition?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2023, 11:05 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,393,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post

As mental medical health indicates that excessive talking IS a psychiatric condition (read the opening in OP), but what I truly wondered was, if the yearning to listen to this non-stop and absolutely useless blabbering - is also a mental health condition?
If a person has a broken arm, people are more than willing to help. They will have empathy.

Mental illness--people want to banish them, throw them out, make fun of them.
It is very difficult to live with a person with mental illness. They rarely stop talking.

No one yearns to listen to the constant talking.

Old 03-04-2023, 11:17 AM

Quote:

I was recently at Disney World in FL and while we waited in lines, I noted that folks in the lines just keep on blabbering with each other. Just non-stop nonsense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post

And so on. People are interesting. I traveled to the middle east 36 yrs ago. I struck up conversations with people who don't speak English. What am I supposed to do? Visit a foreign country and keep my damn mouth shut?
Most people are interesting. Some are just blabbering. They are not comfortable with silence. I travel solo all the time and strike up interesting/fun conversations. Interesting/fun are the key words.

I traveled once with a friend that felt the need to constantly chat with total strangers over and over again. As I waited next to her, waiting to get on with our travels. Needless to say--I did not find her to be a good travel partner for me.

Old 03-04-2023, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
If a person has a broken arm, people are more than willing to help. They will have empathy.

Mental illness--people want to banish them, throw them out, make fun of them.
It is very difficult to live with a person with mental illness. They rarely stop talking.

No one yearns to listen to the constant talking.
Read the OP again.
This is exactly what my observation was. The excessive talker tend to reach the end of their blabbering episode, just when the listeners would trigger him/her again with a two words comment or question which would then make the excessive talker go off the rails again. And this is how the excessive talker blabbers non stop for 40 odd minutes.

And how did you come to the conclusion that I was making fun of anyone?

Perhaps I am trying to instigate a thought or a possibility that the desire to listen to excessive talking is also a mental condition, and medical science perhaps could look into it so that these people could get help?

Old 03-04-2023, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Ugh. You sound exactly like my ex-husband. When my kids were little and we would have to stand in 3 hr. lines waiting for the Matterhorn ride, my ex husband used to get annoyed with me for "talking to strangers." next to us in line.

Ummmm, I'm not going to stand there with my face hanging out, bored out of my mind for 3 whole hrs. not talking. I like people, I find them interesting, I've had lots of great conversations with people while standing in line.

I found out from a cameraman in Hollywood that Clint Eastwood stood on a box while filming scenes for Bridges of Madison County with Meryl Streep. We were waiting in line to get into the filming of a sitcom my friend was appearing in.

And so on. People are interesting. I traveled to the middle east 36 yrs ago. I struck up conversations with people who don't speak English. What am I supposed to do? Visit a foreign country and keep my damn mouth shut?
Bold underlined. THIS!

The chronic "need and desire" to strike a conversation, and that too with total strangers who don't speak your language, is perhaps also a mental and psychiatric disorder. Read the OP again, there are five mental conditions that lead to such desires.

Old 03-05-2023, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Read the OP again.
Why do you refer to yourself in the third person?

Quote:
And how did you come to the conclusion that I was making fun of anyone?
I did not say you were making fun of anyone.

Quote:
Perhaps I am trying to instigate a thought or a possibility that the desire to listen to excessive talking is also a mental condition, and medical science perhaps could look into it so that these people could get help?
^ I do not think there is anyone that likes to listen to excessive talking. They do not exisit.

Old 03-05-2023, 04:15 AM

11,081 posts, read 6,903,040 times
Quote:
Bold underlined. THIS!

The chronic "need and desire" to strike a conversation, and that too with total strangers who don't speak your language, is perhaps also a mental and psychiatric disorder. Read the OP again, there are five mental conditions that lead to such desires.
Ooooo thank you so much for your diagnosis!! Sheez I didnt know that! I have a psychiatric disorder because I like foreigners and their countries!

I'd say more but I value my time on here, TALKING with other people, if you catch my drift

Hey everybody! I have a mental condition! A true disorder! It's called "talking to people."

To the OP:
I am an introvert who spends a lot of time in solitude: reading, writing, warching quality tv, gardening, birdwatching Alone and Quiet. When I'm around people, I like to talk. Not always.

PS Did I say I had a *chronic* need to talk with foreign strangers? No. You said that.

Old 03-05-2023, 06:54 AM

36,427 posts, read 16,038,061 times
I may need psychiatric help. I can't stand someone incessantly talking, without taking a break or allowing another person to to speak.

I have 2 friends I frequently get together with, maybe once a week or so. One friend has been MIA, helping her father who has been hospitalized 2 times in one week. He lives an hour or so from her house here. She came home Thursday night and worked Friday and Saturday. Her husband is staying with the Dad. That friend wants to go out today to a winery. I am foregoing this outing because she will talk non stop about the stuff going on. I understand, but when I can't get a word in edgewise, my anxiety goes through the roof and I get in Flight mode. We are 3 friends and we share stuff, but she will always be the one who talks most. I want to see her, after things calm down.

Old 03-05-2023, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Ooooo thank you so much for your diagnosis!! Sheez I didnt know that! I have a psychiatric disorder because I like foreigners and their countries!
I have often learned or been enlightened how they view us about my own Country from foreigners.

I am sure you are clear of any psychiatric disorders!

Old 03-06-2023, 07:48 PM

840 posts, read 761,760 times
Most Americans aren’t comfortable with silence. Many seem to be pretty loud in public spaces and restaurants unlike many Europeans. I’ve noticed an increasing number of people who just blah blah blah without responding or really interacting. This isn’t conversation and it’s tiresome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health