Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 06:41 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,151,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

Then you have to consider the rash of luxury car thefts or car jacking in the NYC/NJ area. Dozens charged in New Jersey carjacking ring | 7online.com

Why set yourself, your spouse and or family up to be jacked by a bunch of thugs?
No offense, but NJ and NY are festering ****-holes and some people have been killed for their smart-phone or tablet. Does this mean we should all go back to flip phones and clapped out Grand Ams?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 08:27 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,139,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
What area of MN are you in? There's two Mercedes and 2-3 BMW dealers in the Twin Cities (which both seem low for our population size and as many Fortune 500 companies headquartered here)
The Northeast, near Duluth.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:55 PM

31,941 posts, read 27,057,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
No offense, but NJ and NY are festering ****-holes and some people have been killed for their smart-phone or tablet. Does this mean we should all go back to flip phones and clapped out Grand Ams?
We live in a zip code with the highest income per capita in the Untied States. Not to shabby for a "festering.... hole".

Old 03-01-2014, 08:55 PM

1,037 posts, read 3,166,131 times
I know too many working class people who lease Mercs/BMWs just to feel like they made it (or deserve it). I think they are decent cars, but I will stick with my cheap to own/maintain Honda.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:05 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,236,641 times
Ever been to Dubai?

I haven't, but from what I've read, rich people drive Lamborghini

Old 03-01-2014, 11:29 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,573,632 times
Hasn't MBZ recently introduced a $30,000 car here in the USA, and aren't they aiming it at the BMW 3-series?

Old 03-01-2014, 11:59 PM

382 posts, read 804,986 times
Quote:
Back when one actually had to pay cash or have rather excellent credit to finance Mercedes-Benz like BMW was some sort of status symbol. Today quite honestly between every thug, drug dealer, pimp or whatever criminal not to mention "rap" music performers (for singers they are not), not to mention easy credit former high end luxury cars have lost some of their cachet IMHO.

It's like fur coats, top shelf liquor, European designer clothing or handbags, and so forth. Even whipping out an Amex gold card isn't as impressive as it once was (the check out girl at our local supermarket has one....).

You have to move up to a Rolls Royce, Maserati or something in that class to *really* impress anyone around these parts.

Here in the NYC/NJ/Conn Tri-State are Mercedes-Benz and BMW are almost as common as water, especially the "C", "300 Series" and other lower priced/intro models. Everyone's got them, from shop/small business owners to kids in or just out of college with or without visible means of support. Go out to certain parts of Staten Island and you'll find plenty of young men that live in their parent's house/basement driving MBs.

Believe it or not some of the most common autos seen on the Upper East Side of Manhattan are Fiat 500, Prius, Ford Focus, Ford Fusion, Ford Flex, Cooper Mini, and various makes from Toyota.

Then you have to consider the rash of luxury car thefts or car jacking in the NYC/NJ area. Dozens charged in New Jersey carjacking ring | 7online.com

Why set yourself, your spouse and or family up to be jacked by a bunch of thugs?
Your first paragraph is on point. The rest is another story though.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:47 AM

Quote:
We live in a zip code with the highest income per capita in the Untied States. Not to shabby for a "festering.... hole".
That might be, but nothing good has ever come out of DC,NJ,NY or FL

Old 03-02-2014, 08:17 AM

4,626 posts, read 12,306,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
That might be, but nothing good has ever come out of DC,NJ,NY or FL
Wow, really? A good ole fashioned pissing contest about where too live!

Old 03-02-2014, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Wow, really? A good ole fashioned pissing contest about where too live!

I do stand behind my statement and I figured the thread needed a little fire since the other user seems to think a carjacking story in dirty jersey is a reason not to buy anything nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart