Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 05:05 AM

139 posts, read 409,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie of Oldsmar View Post
I have a SLK 230 car. It is 10 years old and it works fine!!
Wow thanks for finding my post and replying. Have you had any issues ever with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 08:48 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,224,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit Karson View Post
Its not about money I have a person who works on my car.
I'm confused. Isn't the premise of this thread to find the best value in a pre-owned? If you choose poorly you could end up dumping much more into the vehicle than you expected to. Part markups and labor costs for an MB are relatively high so if you are referencing maintenance costs for an Asian or Domestic make then you're way off.

There is no standard answer for this type of question. NJGoat summed it up, you have to find the "sweet spot". That is determined by model, high miles vs newer, low miles vs older, somewhere in between, etc.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:56 AM

22 posts, read 45,746 times
Make sure to check the vin number get it and use carfax to see full details if has ever been in a wreck, salvaged title. Yu can also see how many owners had it.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:10 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,250,516 times
Quote:
How good is he at trouble shooting electrical systems?

Old 01-12-2013, 11:22 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,701,216 times
Quote:

What I am trying to find out is how well and how long these cars run. but thanks for the info. and i HEAR YAH lol
I wouldn't touch a used Mercedes with a ten-foot pole.

What is your reasoning for wanting a used SLK? They aren't the fastest vehicles on the road nor or they particularly reliable or inexpensive to operate. For the same money, you could buy a NEWER convertible with less miles, easier to insure/operate, and more fun to drive.

The SLK has always been an underpowered vehicle and they aren't known for being fleet-of-foot either. They're quite heavy, overly-complicated, and you'd be better off buying something newer and more reliable.

How fun is a vehicle when it'll likely be in the shop a few days each month?

Old 01-12-2013, 01:02 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,278,152 times
Any Mercedes is good, diesel Mercedes is better. If you want German sports car buy a M3 or 911, maybe even an R32 if you dont mind a 4wd hatchback that will knock your socks off..

certified pre owned is trust worthy. Cash in hand should knock a few bucks off. Buying from a private owner...Id say make sure he wears a suit to work and not Nikes... or puffy coats...

sports cars should NEVER be convertible IMO.

just my .02

Old 01-12-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I wouldn't touch a used Mercedes with a ten-foot pole.

What is your reasoning for wanting a used SLK? They aren't the fastest vehicles on the road nor or they particularly reliable or inexpensive to operate. For the same money, you could buy a NEWER convertible with less miles, easier to insure/operate, and more fun to drive.

The SLK has always been an underpowered vehicle and they aren't known for being fleet-of-foot either. They're quite heavy, overly-complicated, and you'd be better off buying something newer and more reliable.

How fun is a vehicle when it'll likely be in the shop a few days each month?
i have read and heard nothing but GREAT things. I did some extra research on line and had a person here contact me privately regarding their happiness with the SLK. I have a accent at the moment and it gets me where I want to with out being a preformance car. ANd If i wanted to I can get a Superchip for the SLK ......... pssssssst I am one of the few that drives my car not one of those who tries to fly a car.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHavensFinest View Post
Any Mercedes is good, diesel Mercedes is better. If you want German sports car buy a M3 or 911, maybe even an R32 if you dont mind a 4wd hatchback that will knock your socks off..

certified pre owned is trust worthy. Cash in hand should knock a few bucks off. Buying from a private owner...Id say make sure he wears a suit to work and not Nikes... or puffy coats...

sports cars should NEVER be convertible IMO.

just my .02
thanks i am going through COSTCO CPO

Old 01-12-2013, 10:12 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,701,216 times
Quote:
i have read and heard nothing but GREAT things. I did some extra research on line and had a person here contact me privately regarding their happiness with the SLK. I have a accent at the moment and it gets me where I want to with out being a preformance car. ANd If i wanted to I can get a Superchip for the SLK ......... pssssssst I am one of the few that drives my car not one of those who tries to fly a car.
Well...why do you want an SLK then? I mean an older SLK isn't a status symbol, it's not fuel efficient, it's slow and heavy, and it's expensive to repair when something breaks. I guess I don't see a pragmatic reason for wanting one.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:03 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,250,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Well...why do you want an SLK then? I mean an older SLK isn't a status symbol, it's not fuel efficient, it's slow and heavy, and it's expensive to repair when something breaks. I guess I don't see a pragmatic reason for wanting one.
A Miata would be a much better bet(easier to drive, cheaper to own, its a much better car to drive), but I assume she wants the SLK, just so she can tell people she has a Benz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart