Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 03:52 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,779,270 times

Advertisements

I'm considering getting a secondhand Mercedes E320 Cabriolet (convertible) from the mid-1990s. It will probably have 100,000 or more miles on it. I hope to find one from a retired person who didn't drive it much, didn't beat the sh*t out of it, and kept it garaged. I've got time to look, an am in no hurry.

Is there anything special to look out for, on such a car? I've heard stories of oil changes costing $120, certain parts that wear, etc.

I do my own brakes, tuneups, oil changes etc. on my present Toyotas, Fords, VWs etc. But have never owned or worked on a Mercedes.

Anybody own one, or know someone who does? What are the maintenance issues, if any?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 04:19 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,560,539 times
That all depends on you. Do you have sucker tattooed across your forehead? If so then yes, oil changes will cost you $120. Otherwise oil changes are no more expensive and complicated than any other car.

Are you at all capable of doing any of your own maintenance work or at the very least diagnosing a problem or looking it up online? If not then you should fully expect mechanics to imagine SUCKER is written on your forehead every time you go in for even the most basic work. In that case this car will cost more than than an arm and a leg.

More info:
PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum - Powered by vBulletin
W124 E,CE,D,TD Class - Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum
Index of /docs/mb/W124
Index of /docs/mb/M104

good luck

Old 05-27-2013, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post
That all depends on you. Do you have sucker tattooed across your forehead?
No, I had that tat removed a few years ago.

Quote:
Are you at all capable of doing any of your own maintenance work or at the very least diagnosing a problem or looking it up online?
Yes, yes, and yes. See above about brakes, tuneups, and oil changes. I've also replaced an engine in a '66 Mustang, and innumerable clutches, engines, and trannies in air-cooled VWs. Plus a Chevy V6 in a 1980 Vanagon, don't ask.

Thanks.

Has anyone here, owned an E320 sedan or cabrio? Or known someone who has owned one?

Old 05-27-2013, 05:27 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,560,539 times
I own the diesel of the version of the W124 now, had the wagon version in the past but I got an offer for it I couldn't refuse.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:55 PM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
That car won't kill your wallet, back then they were still relatively simple cars though that power top probably has a few actuators/switches that might get expensive. Those E320 convertibles were not great performers though, heavy, nice ride but slow and sloppy.

Here are a couple places on the East Coast that stock that vintage MB's:
Hatch & Sons - 1995 Mercedes-Benz E320
1995 Mercedes Benz, E420 Sedan | Copley Motorcars

Old 05-27-2013, 08:59 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
The head gasket can leak oil, which is not uncommon to many cars of that age, but the wiring harness is definitely something to check with the later W124s as Mercedes switched to one that was more ecologically friendly. Over time, the harness insulation deteriorates, causing electrical gremlins, and sometimes issues with other electrical systems, which can get expensive if you have to replace sensors and the like. My parents had various W124 series sedans and wagons, and they were very solid, overall, but maintenance is key.

Also, there can be a transmission issue with the early to mid-90s W124s where the transmission begins to fail by not shifting into reverse. When you put the car into reverse, if it hesitates or does not immediately engage, the transmission is going to develop the lack of reverse gear. That is usually with higher mileage, and it may have been sorted on the vehicle that you are considering, but worth noting because I have known of the issue with a few W124 wagons, and have seen a couple for sale with disclosure of the lack of reverse.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-28-2013, 07:14 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
My neighbor drove his for 20 yrs without reverse.

Generally a pretty simple car to keep running.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:03 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,974,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
I'm considering getting a secondhand Mercedes E320 Cabriolet (convertible) from the mid-1990s....
Low mileage examples can be pretty pricy, but that's a good choice of car! Be prepared to call around and get the prices, don't be intimidated or let people think stuff has to be super expensive just because it's a Mercedes, and keep a reserve fund or credit line for any unexpected repairs.

Here are some of the best examples in the country:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...rch=true&Log=0

Old 05-28-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
The head gasket can leak oil, which is not uncommon to many cars of that age, but the wiring harness is definitely something to check with the later W124s as Mercedes switched to one that was more ecologically friendly. Over time, the harness insulation deteriorates, causing electrical gremlins, and sometimes issues with other electrical systems, which can get expensive if you have to replace sensors and the like.
bmwguydc, do you know what year Mercedes switched to this "more ecologically friendly" wiring harness? What year was the first one with the new harness, and did it go into all W124 body styles? (Sedan, wagon, convertible)?

Quote:
Also, there can be a transmission issue with the early to mid-90s W124s where the transmission begins to fail by not shifting into reverse. When you put the car into reverse, if it hesitates or does not immediately engage, the transmission is going to develop the lack of reverse gear. That is usually with higher mileage, and it may have been sorted on the vehicle that you are considering, but worth noting because I have known of the issue with a few W124 wagons, and have seen a couple for sale with disclosure of the lack of reverse.
I've noticed a few W124s for sale with around 100,000 to 150,000 miles on them, with "newly rebuilt transmissions". I had wondered why. Could this be it?

Anyone know what component(s) in the trannies failed, to cause loss of the reverse gear?

Old 05-28-2013, 12:59 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
The wiring harness issue plagues Mercedes from 1992 to 1996 or 1997, IIRC. So, the end of W124 production was plagued by this issue. It's not a question of if it will start to have symptoms, but when. It was in all of the W124, though I think it was introduced on the S-Class first, so it might have been the MY1993 and onward that was affected for the E-Class. Check for cracks in the insulation of the harness when looking at the car yourself, and when your mechanic checks it, they should be able to tell since I think there is a different color wire used on some components of the harness from the original so that it can be easily differentiated. The problem was when the harnesses started to fail, MBZ would ship the same eco insulated harness as a replacement, until it was determined that all the harnesses were failing and a replacement that did not have the same insulation was used.

Yes, when you see rebuilt transmission in the 100k-150k range, the transmission has failed. I saw a 1994 wagon for sale just the other day, locally, at 140k miles with no reverse disclosed in the ad. It's a common problem in that mileage range, and as the vehicles are now nearly to classic status from the end of the W124 era, either the transmission has been addressed, or it will need to be addressed. I have always understood loss of reverse to mean a rebuild was in order, but there are a couple of other problems with the W124 in the forward gears that may be serviced.

The only other wild card with the W124 you are considering is the convertible top. The top has hydraulic pumps that may leak, or need attention. The car is a modern classic and the heir to the W111 280SE 3.5 as a four-seat convertible, so a good example is well worth keeping, IMO. I also seem to recall fuses blowing, as that was a problem on the car that a friend of mine had, and sill would, had it not met an unforeseen end.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart