Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 02:41 AM

399 posts, read 547,664 times

Advertisements

I know it's a bit of a silly question and it depends on many things like the crime rate in the area you parked in, etc. But in general if you drive a well-recognized luxury - are you seen as more of a mark for theft/robbery/etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 06:07 AM

25,838 posts, read 16,515,156 times
I would think it depends on which model of MB you bought. I'm not a criminal but from my perspective when I see someone driving one of the entry level Benz's I figure they are more in debt than anyone else and probably living check to check so not a mark at all.

If you are driving the upper level one's, there's a good chance there is so many electronic gadgets/burglar alarms on it that it may not be worth the trouble.

So I would say that MB cars are not really a target for criminals more than any other car.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:00 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
Probably not seen as more of a mark for theft, but it's been my experience that nice cars get vandalized a lot more than other cars. Whether it's from jealous people or what, a nice car runs a higher risk of being keyed or damaged far more than average cars.

I've had my cars vandalized 3 times in my life, each time they left the cars around me alone.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:07 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,923,904 times
Like you already noted. It all depends on were you are.

You may need to be more conscious on where you park to avoid dings/scratches when you park your gorgeous Mercedes at places like Walmart.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:07 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,081,029 times
Mercedes Benz didn't even make the top 10 list according to NBC News.

Thieves' Favorite: Hondas Are The Most Stolen Cars in America - NBC News

Or from the National Insurance Crime Bureau http://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorze...rs-in-america/

Old 02-13-2015, 08:54 AM

159 posts, read 192,805 times
If you drive a high end and are in neighborhoods where that's an actual worry then you need to rethink the purchase. You can get robbed driving an 98' Camry if your timings wrong. People have figured out a way to steal the company you work for out from under you with your pension. There is no safety...Anywhere!! No matter what you drive or where you live or where you park or who you know. Get your car enjoy it and if something happens it wont be because of the car it will be because that's the world we live in.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:19 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,280,752 times
More likely other drivers will be nasty, cut you off, etc. Some have a bone to pick. Just ignore them, stick your nose in the air, and drive on! Or pull over and let them pass.

So far as personal safety, robbery is more of a spur of the moment type of thing - they don't wait until a Mercedes comes along - actually they look for weakness - drunk, elderly old lady, etc.

Don't wear a bunch of flashy jewelry if going into a not-so-good neighborhood.

Other than that, Mercedes and the like have all sorts of security systems, stickers, etc. Thieves are lazy and don't want to work, so will avoid cars which will cause them trouble/attention.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:26 AM

19 posts, read 43,506 times
I've seen people actually get angry over nice cars and scratch them. Just jealousy, even though you could spend that much on a camry. The lady I worked with had an issue with this. Every single time she saw a luxury car pull up, she would get insanely angry and vocal about it. I eventually just started saying maybe they got them used. This from a lady whose parents bought her a home and car and she didn't have to work.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:30 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
Leaving things of value sitting out inside the car will generate more theft than the badge on the trunk.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:45 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,570,419 times
If you live in the "hood" then you're just asking for the wrong type of attention. If not then you shouldn't have anything to worry about so long as you don't leave valuables in the car that are visible. Mercedes aren't uncommon and no longer draw the attention that they use to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart