Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 02:58 PM

106 posts, read 166,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
Get ready to possibly be harassed by the police. By first 15 years of driving, I was only pulled over 3 times, and each time I was double digits over the speed limit and deserved to be pulled over. Of those 3 times, only received one ticket.
Bought a brand new BMW (not even one of the expensive ones either). Pulled over 3 times in 2 weeks. Each time I was 4mph over, 4mph over and 3mph over. I was ticketed 2 of those 3 times. All 3 incidents cops were total !$#!$# despite me being polite, no attitude. I guess they assumed I was rich. Was pulled over 2 more times the following month. 5 times, in 2 months, 3 different police dept's, never more than 5mph over the speed limit. I'm white too, so Eddie Murphy's SNL skit about being white is debunked, lol.
LOL, and deservedly so. Nobody wants to hear about "Rich people's problems". Far more important things to think about. OP was just finding an excuse to show off by starting this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 03:02 PM

887 posts, read 1,216,592 times
LOL with leasing so cheap these days any mooch can drive a car like that around and put on a show in their mind. I would't worry about it.

Old 02-13-2015, 03:15 PM

106 posts, read 166,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by threecats407 View Post
LOL with leasing so cheap these days any mooch can drive a car like that around and put on a show in their mind. I would't worry about it.
Good point. Mooch, LOL.

Old 02-13-2015, 07:50 PM

10,353 posts, read 8,581,497 times
Years ago I had a Ferrari. I was always concious of not being and arrogant pr*ck when I drove it. I would never take 2 spaces and when possible would park far away to empty rows. Still people would throw cokes on it or key it. I was in a middle class area. I live in an upscale area now and many won't pay any attention to it.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:10 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,405,330 times
100%, yes.
Sorry.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:29 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,309,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larsm View Post
Given that the greater % of MBs (and other luxury brands too) are leased it isn't the sign of wealth it once was. As someone else pointed out, biggest threat is leaving things visible. More likely your car will be stolen (for parts) if it is a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry.
I grew up in a time when if owned a Cadillac, Lincoln, MB it was a real sign of status. My Dad drove Caddy's in the 70's and 80's and we were the only one on the block that had one. My Father was the only white collar guy on the block as well. It without a doubt bred jealousy from people on and off the block.

Now any J/O can lease a high end car. it doesn't mean they can afford it. I remember one of the best feelings in the world I ever had was when I out right purchased my first Cadillac it was a wonderful feeling.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:34 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,395,952 times
It's really kind of strange, drive a $60k Mercedes/BMW and you become the center of attention.

Drive a $60k Suburban LTZ and no one bats and eye.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:51 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,261,997 times
I drove a Jaguar XJ6 25 years ago. It was 4 years old when I bought it. In those days I did a lot of antiquing. When I parked that car in front of an antique store, I swear my bargaining power went down by half. I learned to ask a friend to drive when I was seriously shopping for something specific.

It's not just "crooks" who might try to take advantage when you drive an expensive car . . . even if it's not all that expensive.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:43 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,900,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post

If you live in the "hood" then you're just asking for the wrong type of attention. If not then you shouldn't have anything to worry about so long as you don't leave valuables in the car that are visible. Mercedes aren't uncommon and no longer draw the attention that they use to.
^^^^^
I can find 10 year old MBs for sale cheap and they still look new. When their OEM parts start to break down you will spend $$$ repairing them. The same is true with a new model; ten years down the road will be telling. Used MBs are to the middle class what used Corollas are to the lower class.

Old 02-14-2015, 02:51 AM

892 posts, read 1,501,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Someone can correct me if they think otherwise but I thought the vehicle theft market was primarily driven [no pun] by a demand for parts not necessarily by any value associated with the entire, operational, vehicle. So Civics, F150s, etc. are prime targets. You would be hard pressed to find any complete, stolen, vehicles driving around. They do exist, but not many.
Hey, look at that...someone with some intelligence on C-D!

This is exactly it. It only takes a couple minutes to pull up the list of top selling vehicles, and the list of top theft targets, and realize they're quite similar. The average MB, BMW, etc owner also carries full coverage insurance on their vehicle, and in the event of collision or comprehensive damage, they'll just let the insurance company handle it, thus little to no "black market" for those parts. The new Benz owner also isn't likely to be scouring eBay looking to save a few bucks for a new air bag for his car...

Vehicles like the F150 and the Accord sell FAR more than MB, and generally will be owned by lower income level people, who may not want to deal with the insurance hike of a paid claim, thus may be more likely to go the little shop on the corner for cut rate repairs, and there's reasons why their "used" parts come in so insanely cheap, lol.

There's also the factor that these vehicles will blend in a lot better in high theft areas, so a stolen vehicle won't attract attention driving down the street. They're also much less likely to attract attention going across the border, say going into Oginaga. Border Patrol may just question why the scruffy dude in the brand new Benz is going into that area, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart