Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 01:11 PM

106 posts, read 166,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
There's a reason I drive a rusty '89 Caprice that extend beyond the fact that I'm too cheap to replace it as long as it serves its purpose. This is one of them.
This. I have a 1987 Lincoln. Nobody's stealing my car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 01:17 PM

6,599 posts, read 7,208,691 times
The question the OP asked was do I need to keep an eye of my surroundings coming and going from their new Mercedes. Work late, have to park on street away from where your coming from, are criminals gonna see a nicer car and think this is a good target to rob, assault, kidnap? My answer would be yes over some person driving a 89 rusted out Caprice just playing odds. There's one or two areas in my town I wouldn't be comfortable driving my car around in. I'm not saying something is gonna happen, but I won't go there to find out.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:21 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,408,535 times
As long as it's really not too flashy, should be ok.

I have an Audi Q7, which is a luxury car, but really isn't very flashy. It looks kind of like a GMC Acadia from a distance, driven through plenty of rough areas with no problem.

If you went the "Big Rim" route, don't rule out trouble.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:23 PM

15,021 posts, read 12,231,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistas View Post
I know it's a bit of a silly question and it depends on many things like the crime rate in the area you parked in, etc. But in general if you drive a well-recognized luxury - are you seen as more of a mark for theft/robbery/etc?
So I've been told. Never had the problem, myself, so couldn't say from first-hand experience.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:44 PM

15,835 posts, read 20,626,008 times
I've had a nice new Mercedes for 2 years now. I also have a 10-year old, 152K milke Infiniti as my daily driver. I drive both to the same places and don't noticed any difference really ?

Benz might get a bit more attention but nothing really I have to worry about. No shadt characters following me or anything like that. I park it in normal spaces at the mall and nobody dents it. I may notice the opposite sex check me out a bit more, but that might be in my head and my G/F probably wouldn't want to hear that

A couple times i've had a few people ask me how I could afford the car and what I did for a living. Other than that...business as usual when it comes to going about my business.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 02-13-2015 at 01:52 PM..

Old 02-13-2015, 01:50 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,245,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistas View Post
I know it's a bit of a silly question and it depends on many things like the crime rate in the area you parked in, etc. But in general if you drive a well-recognized luxury - are you seen as more of a mark for theft/robbery/etc?
It depends. I've had an E550 and currently own a GL550. I haven't been robbed or mugged and I live in a town with a high poverty rate and an average family income of less than $40k. I've never had any issues with my car being keyed, but I also park FAR away from other vehicles. People are lazy and aren't going to walk out of their way to key a nice car, especially in broad daylight. I also use common sense. I park my car in the garage, avoid driving in sketchy areas, and I'm rarely alone when out driving at night. It would be different if driving a Bugatti, Lamborghini, or Rolls-Royce through the projects at 2:00 am! If your dumb enough to do so, proceed at your own risk!

Old 02-13-2015, 02:28 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,980,643 times
I like to know what this gorgeous mercedes looks like.

It depends on where you live. If you live here in Houston or Dallas. Your mercedes is just another grocery getter.
Yes that includes C E S GL. And Amg.

Also, it doesn't matter what you drive. If you are in the wrong place or wrong time. They can get you

Old 02-13-2015, 02:37 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,607,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
I like to know what this gorgeous mercedes looks like.

It depends on where you live. If you live here in Houston or Dallas. Your mercedes is just another grocery getter.
Yes that includes C E S GL. And Amg.

Also, it doesn't matter what you drive. If you are in the wrong place or wrong time. They can get you
For someone who's never owned anything nicer than a used Honda (Not saying that's the case with the OP), then any new Mercedes will be "gorgeous"

Old 02-13-2015, 02:46 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,697,183 times
Get ready to possibly be harassed by the police. By first 15 years of driving, I was only pulled over 3 times, and each time I was double digits over the speed limit and deserved to be pulled over. Of those 3 times, only received one ticket.
Bought a brand new BMW (not even one of the expensive ones either). Pulled over 3 times in 2 weeks. Each time I was 4mph over, 4mph over and 3mph over. I was ticketed 2 of those 3 times. All 3 incidents cops were total !$#!$# despite me being polite, no attitude. I guess they assumed I was rich. Was pulled over 2 more times the following month. 5 times, in 2 months, 3 different police dept's, never more than 5mph over the speed limit. I'm white too, so Eddie Murphy's SNL skit about being white is debunked, lol.

Old 02-13-2015, 02:46 PM

3,766 posts, read 5,882,664 times
I have a Cadillac and a Lexus and I am more worried about door dings and people backing into my bumper in a parking lot. Little kids getting in and out of their big 4 door 4Wheel drive pickups or huge SUVs just swing the door open and are not careful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart