Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2021, 12:45 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,101,953 times

Advertisements

If you like driving an appliance, then continue driving the Crown Vic.

If you want to experience driving pleasure, then buy the S500.

Yes, the S500 is 26 years old with 110,000 miles but well maintained and in meticulous condition, as the OP has stated.

The Crown Vic is 18 years old with 97,000 miles but also well maintained except for peeling paint in spots, according to the OP.

For only $4,000, I would buy the S500, stay on top of the maintenance (as one should do with any vehicle) and drive it until the wheels came off but I appreciate the driving experience of German autos and feel they're worth the price of ownership.

Let your preference be your guide.

Last edited by phlinak; 01-26-2021 at 12:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2021, 08:44 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,509,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
For $4,000? I'd buy it in a heartbeat and enjoy it. Those older MB's with the 500 V8's are absolute tanks and will easily hit 500k miles with minimal issue. I'm not saying they're a Toyota Corolla, but they're nothing, and I mean nothing, like an older BMW (or newer for that matter). Heavy duty steel parts, nuts and bolts instead of plastics and clips.

What you're likely to face are aged gaskets and seals.

I had an old co-worker who lives in Newport Beach who had one those MB's as his daily driver. Last I saw of him was around 2010 and he still had it. Was approaching 150k miles back then, and I hear he still has it and drives it all the time. Refuses to spend the money to replace it because there is nothing quite like it to replace it with anymore.

It won't be too long before the MB loyalists start to consider them collector classics as well. They're already starting to view the SL's of that era in that category and prices are starting to increase a bit for well maintained ones. Me personally, I'd love to have a mid-90's MB SL500 myself, if I had somewhere to actually put it.
I already sent the money to my relative. So I’m buying it. For 4k it’s not like I’m blowing wads of cash. And it really is a great car. She said her neighbor was very upset as he had his eye on it for. Few years now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
If you like driving an appliance, then continue driving the Crown Vic.

If you want to experience driving pleasure, then buy the S500.

Yes, the S500 is 26 years old with 110,000 miles but well maintained and in meticulous condition, as the OP has stated.

The Crown Vic is 18 years old with 97,000 miles but also well maintained except for peeling paint in spots, according to the OP.

For only $4,000, I would buy the S500, stay on top of the maintenance (as one should do with any vehicle) and drive it until the wheels came off but I appreciate the driving experience of German autos and feel they're worth the price of ownership.

Let your preference be your guide.
Oh I’ve driven it previously. It’s just been a while. It’s really nice and comfy from what I remember. I may just keep it as a weekend car. The Crown Vic I see it as a rolling odometer. Cheap transportation Nd if it gets dinged (which it has) in. Parking lot it’s no big deal.

As far as maintenance Nd working on cars I can do myself so I dont have the height mechanic expense.

Old 01-26-2021, 10:56 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,854,050 times
I, for one vote for getting it since you can also keep your Crown Victoria. Life is short and that is not a lot of money to burn. If you don't like it, you can probably recoup some of your money through a private sale.

Old 01-27-2021, 05:00 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,101,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I already sent the money to my relative. So I’m buying it. For 4k it’s not like I’m blowing wads of cash. And it really is a great car. She said her neighbor was very upset as he had his eye on it for. Few years now.

Oh I’ve driven it previously. It’s just been a while. It’s really nice and comfy from what I remember. I may just keep it as a weekend car. The Crown Vic I see it as a rolling odometer. Cheap transportation Nd if it gets dinged (which it has) in. Parking lot it’s no big deal.

As far as maintenance Nd working on cars I can do myself so I dont have the height mechanic expense.
Well done.

Old 01-30-2021, 09:17 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,760,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Well played! You scored a jewel. Enjoy.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart