Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which SUV?
Mercedes Benz Gl 550 13 34.21%
Range Rover HSE 5 13.16%
Cadillac Escalade 20 52.63%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 08:37 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,425,311 times

Advertisements

I sell luxury cars, so my opinion would be -

Range Rover - If you buy a Range Rover, pray, sacrifice a chicken, do whatever it is you do, and hope you get a good one. It's pretty rare, and if you don't, the service department will be your new home. Absolutely atrocious reliability. Nice cars to look at, and the inside is nice, but I wouldn't touch one personally. Not to mention the resale value is abysmal.

Escalade - Nice truck, but you are essentially paying for a fancy Tahoe. A guy at work bought one, and he hates it. It rattles and creaks and basically doesn't feel like a luxury SUV. It should be fairly reliable mechanically, but the little stuff will break. Personally, for that kind of money, I would expect more from a vehicle.

Mercedes - I love the GL-series of SUV's. They have some problems now and then, but Mercedes warranty is excellent, and it's nothing like the RR. The GL has a ton of awesome features, too. I would certainly take the GL over the other two. I have several clients that own one and absolutely love it.

Ever considered a Lexus LX 570? Awesome SUV's, and in that price range you are looking at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 08:42 PM

973 posts, read 2,229,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Ever considered a Lexus LX 570? Awesome SUV's, and in that price range you are looking at.
I must agree here. I'm a huge Toyota/Lexus fan, and my personal pick would be the RX400h if I only need to seat 5. For 8, the LX570 or GX470 would be my easy choice over any SUV.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfjtm View Post
I must agree here. I'm a huge Toyota/Lexus fan, and my personal pick would be the RX400h if I only need to seat 5. For 8, the LX570 or GX470 would be my easy choice over any SUV.

The GX is ridiculously outdated. The LX will run circles around it. I sell them, so I feel fairly confident making that statement.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:50 PM

930 posts, read 2,423,693 times
Escalade hands down. Have owned all three. Best interior, style and power.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:38 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,263,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Go with the Range Rover, its the most unique, and probably the best off-roader of the bunch. The Benz is, well, bland and vanilla just like everything else MB makes, and the Escalade is a glorified suburban, built for soccer moms who think theyre the cats meow, but just end up looking as retarded as can be (especially when they wear those sunglasses with 6" lenses and have 24" bling on their rides).
i agree 100%.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:19 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,167,229 times
Escalade for me. The others aren't even in the ballpark for me. While I'm hoping to buy a Chevy Dually crew cab truck in the next year, there's something about the Escalade that I can't get over.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:21 AM

4,229 posts, read 17,613,376 times
I'd go with the Infiniti FX. I've driven the three you have listed and they're all nice. As others have said the rr has mediocre reliability. The benz is meh.... The escalade, puh-leeze! I'm sorry Escalades are nothing. They do creak, rattle. Just obnoxious.

As I said I've driven these vehicles that I'm recommending as it's part if my job to drive them. Personally... These few models are basically entry level middle tier luxury etc.

Infiniti FX 35 or 50- They're about entry level premium vehicles.
Infiniti EX 35 Journey is also nice.
Lexus LX
Lexus RX
Acura MDX

Old 10-27-2008, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
I'd go with the Infiniti FX. I've driven the three you have listed and they're all nice. As others have said the rr has mediocre reliability. The benz is meh.... The escalade, puh-leeze! I'm sorry Escalades are nothing. They do creak, rattle. Just obnoxious.

As I said I've driven these vehicles that I'm recommending as it's part if my job to drive them. Personally... These few models are basically entry level middle tier luxury etc.

Infiniti FX 35 or 50- They're about entry level premium vehicles.
Infiniti EX 35 Journey is also nice.
Lexus LX
Lexus RX
Acura MDX

Out of curiousity, did you really just name the flagship Lexus SUV as entry-level, middle tier luxury?

Other than that, I agree. Not a big Infiniti fan, but that's more for personal taste than anything else. They build a nice car. Can't stand Acura's at all.

But none of those you listed, save the LX, are full-size SUV's.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:06 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Nice cars, Josh, but none are as big as the Escalade.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:40 PM

782 posts, read 3,789,889 times
Range Rover isn't reliable, Escalade is too popular, MB is too bland.I always wanted and like the G500 which they stop making a couple years ago.I will take a good look at Infiniti and Toyota.Just my .02.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart