Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 06:42 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,285,078 times

Advertisements

I can see how the "cartel" could think the husband was maybe some sort of agent, spy, whatever, but what about the wife? I can see them chasing them away, but not just shooting to kill.

I can see both sides, but I think what we are all doing is saying out loud what detectives must do, and that is to consider everyone a suspect, even the wife. If no spouse was ever considered a suspect in their spouse's slaying, imagine how many deaths there would be!

A simple reminder of this would be to go back a few weeks ago, the woman in Washington state who claimed a "black" person threw acid on her face... she had the sympathy of the country, until it was discovered the knucklhead poured the acid on herself... wearing protective goggles when she did it, and then claiming to be wearing sun glasses at night just did not go over too well. Or the woman who shaved her sons head and told everyone he had cancer so money could make it her way You must admit, there is reason to doubt these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 08:11 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,245,474 times
I'm not sure why this incident would cause the U.S. to "do something" about the border other than warn Americans to stay away from it. This was not a border violation of Mexicans coming into the U.S.

And I'm certainly not saying to exclude the woman as a suspect or dismiss any possibility. Definitely the police should interview her, insist on clarification of confusing or dubious facts, test her clothing for blood residue, and even ask her to take a polygraph. What annoys me are all the armchair experts who question her with no evidence whatsoever.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
I can see how the "cartel" could think the husband was maybe some sort of agent, spy, whatever, but what about the wife? I can see them chasing them away, but not just shooting to kill.
I can see cartel members doing anything and everything from shooting them both and cutting their heads off to buying them lunch and wishing them a nice trip. Trying to paint them in one consistent image is futile. I doubt they called a meeting of high level cartel bosses to discuss a strategic response. These guys act on the whims of the moment and whether or not to shoot the woman may have come down to one of them had a blister on his trigger finger. Criminals behave in all sorts of ways and often do dumb things not in their best interests.

You really can't see a Mexican cartel gang member shooting to kill? What is it, the fear of arrest and prosecution from the competent Mexican police or their inner morals getting the best of them?

Old 10-08-2010, 09:05 AM

972 posts, read 3,927,505 times
perhaps the woman tells the truth., maybe not.

cartels have now suffered many casualties from the Mexican army and are recruiting people without experience, from Central Americans caught before crossing the Rio Grande to the USA to people who are in the poorest parts of cities.

required to be hired without further prize that life, make many mistakes in doing their work.

what surprises me is the Texas governor's ultimatum to President Calderon to hand over the body.

hundreds of Mexicans die crossing the border from the hands of border patrol agents, ranchers, etc. and I've never seen the president of Mexico an ultimatum to them to the border governors. Simply ridiculous.

The U.S. media tend to magnify the death of a single American citizen but care little about that in this war to prevent the drugs come to the states in Mexico have more than 30,000 dead.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_inombrable View Post
what surprises me is the Texas governor's ultimatum to President Calderon to hand over the body.
He's in an election and playing to the public but that was surprisingly rude and disrespectful. That is seldom an effective way to get results.

Old 10-08-2010, 05:48 PM

In all fairness, who has the best evidence and is in the best position to know if she is telling the truth?

Zapata County Sheriff Sigifredo Gonzalez said the investigation so far has indicated Tiffany Hartley is telling the truth.

"Our information is indicating that the witness is reliable, the witness is truthful," he said. The possibility the witness is not telling the truth "is always there, but the probability is very, very, low," he said.

Evidence corroborating Tiffany Hartley's story includes a tiny smear of blood on her life vest, Gonzalez said.

"Other evidence has surfaced," he said. "I'm not at liberty to discuss it at this time, but it does indicate that she had nothing to do with" David Hartley's death.

Mexico probes border lake shooting report | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Old 10-08-2010, 07:18 PM

758 posts, read 2,242,607 times
It's the perfect crime. Whenever I'm thinking about killing an enemy or someone I don't want, I'll invite them jet skiing, shoot one of them, toss the gun in the water.

Moreover, that part of Mexico is wildly unsafe and most people would know better than to stray past the border. ESPECIALLY if you're from the Rio Grande Valley (which this couple was)... you know better. You know who the zetas are and you know where their turf is.

People have stopped fishing at Amistad and at Falcon... great! more fish for me! I never cross the buoy marking the international line, and I've never had a problem. I've got a pretty nice boat too. It just seems too suspicious. What was the motive? Usually they harm the woman.... why did she escape unscathed. Sorry... just another smear campaign.

And to el_inombrable. You're godamn right. Americans don't give to s**ts about thousands and thousands and thousands of deaths and lives ruined south of the border, but the minute one American murder comes up, where the culprit could be those 'evil mexicans'... the nation's up in arms.

Perry is an idiot who's trying to look tough strong-arming Mexico. Unfortunately, this sort of rhetoric wins with the idiotic masses in the state.

Old 10-09-2010, 06:57 AM

Here's an interesting story.

Six gunmen were killed in a clash with army troops in the northeastern state of Tamaulipas, Mexico’s defense department said Friday.

One soldier was wounded in the engagement in the municipality of Nueva Ciudad Guerrero.

Borderland Beat: Six Gunmen Die in Clash with Mexican Troops

How many people recognize the name of the town? Nueva Ciudad Guerrero - the New City of Guerrero - is on the shore of Falcom Lake near the dam just a few miles from Viejo Guerrero - Old Guerrero - where the couple was taking pictures.

Old 10-09-2010, 01:14 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,752,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverTodd62 View Post
I'm not sure why this incident would cause the U.S. to "do something" about the border other than warn Americans to stay away from it. This was not a border violation of Mexicans coming into the U.S.

And I'm certainly not saying to exclude the woman as a suspect or dismiss any possibility. Definitely the police should interview her, insist on clarification of confusing or dubious facts, test her clothing for blood residue, and even ask her to take a polygraph. What annoys me are all the armchair experts who question her with no evidence whatsoever.
Because if the cartels control that entire reservoir and the entire border (which they do), and are that violent that they will kill someone just for the fun of killing them, then wouldn't people wonder why the border remains wide open and also wonder why the government of the USA allows the cartels to own the border?

The fact remains, the most violent thugs have no problem at all getting over that open border they control into the USA.

The killing of the consulate workers was interesting that way. Two US citizens were killed, one who worked at the Consulate, the killer lived in the USA, and the hit was ordered up by the Juarez cartel also living in the USA. The crime itself was carried out in Mexico. The killer came right and said they were killed because she was involved in selling visas to the enemy cartel. And visa selling has been going on for a long time at that Consulate and the government knew it.

But if word gets out that some very violent cartels control that whole Falcon Lake and can easily cross it and come on over as they please - some Americans could think something should be done about that.

That's also the main reason I don't think the cartel had anything to do with this unless the victim was involved with the cartel in some way. It simply would not be to the cartel controlling that lake's interest to wake people up to that fact.

But you're right. Nothing is going to come of this. The cartel will continue controlling not just the lake but the whole border. The violence will go on, the drugs will still make it easily over the border - many across this lake.

And certain Americans who certainly would know all about the border will venture into cartel ruled territory for one purpose or another. It just won't be many really innocent types who do this.

Old 10-09-2010, 01:26 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,752,438 times
And it is the perfect crime. It will never be solved if it's actually the cartel that did it.

Which is why it's so easy to have someone killed in Mexico. The US really won't do much, it cannot go over and investigate because it doesn't have jurisdiction over there.

Dirty deeds done cheap have gone on for years. If someone wants you gone, all they have to do is get you over there, and it's very cheap - always has been. It used to be about $500 but it's about a tenth of that now if you know the right people. Crimes ordered up in the USA but carried out in Mexico (and vice versa) are perfect because they'll almost always remain unsolved and unpunishable.

That couple didn't just stray a couple feet into Mexico and get shot, they were well into Mexico, into what everyone knows is cartel territory and you can get pictures of that church from google earth - so why exactly were they over there? And you would wonder why a husband would take his attractive wife into that area - but interestingly enough the so-called cartel spared her but killed him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico